Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 2x8 (x2) - opinions?

40hz

Hi all!

Having recently picked up a regular gig with a functions band (who regularly play larger venues), I'm not entirely sure my Epifani UL210 is going to be enough. Although they do use a PA, I do like having the thump in my back and the ability to step up and provide the power if there are any technical issues.

Been looking at some modular set ups and really like the look, weight and portability of these cabs, so with that in mind, is anybody out there using 2 of these in a stack that could comment on their performance in a live setting? Can they really deliver deep bass and punch? Would it be much beyond what I already have?

Edit - my amp heads are the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 and the TC BH550. 

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

• 40hz changed the title to Trace Elliot 2x8 (x2) - opinions?
On 12/01/2022 at 12:35, 40hz said:

I don't doubt those trace elliot 2X8"s sound fine, but they will be a considerable step down in quality to your Epifani, which I believe is more sensitive than the trace.

yeah they are 5kg lighter than your cab, but you describe liking power and I can't believe these trace cabs will provide the scale of sound you like.

I say this as an ardent user of small cabs with smaller size drivers, but (call me a cynic) I can only see these trace cabs are built down to a price point and there are higher quality options put there for not much more money.

If you are patient you could probably score another UL210 for not much more than the cost of a new 2x8.

I know which I'd want to be playing through 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If doing larger venues and wanting thump in the back on the bigger stages I wouldn’t think that two 2x8 cabs would be the solution. I think as above, another Epifani 210 would be where I’d start.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's commonly accepted over at Talkbass that the 2x8 puts out like a good old 2x10. That being the case a pair ought to be enough to get the soundman telling you to turn down.

Yep I was going to weigh in and say that it’s very highly regarded over there. The Faital Pro drivers are hardly cheap and cheerfuI expect.

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Merton said:

Yep I was going to weigh in and say that it’s very highly regarded over there. The Fait Pro drivers are hardly cheap and cheerfuI expect.

This was my thinking, the drivers in the cab are supposed to be some of the best out there (for their size). I'm not looking for out and out gut wrenching power, just an appreciable bump over what I have. Which is great as it is to be fair, but finding a matching series 1 ul210 would likely prove difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

This was my thinking, the drivers in the cab are supposed to be some of the best out there (for their size). I'm not looking for out and out gut wrenching power, just an appreciable bump over what I have. Which is great as it is to be fair, but finding a matching series 1 ul210 would likely prove difficult.

The bass gear mag joker Tom Bowlus did a big review. He pumped up two with an 800w Quilter and reckoned he was getting to use most of it, to good effect. Beats me why Peavey/Trace have been so long bringing out a big brother for Elf.

I'd imagine a narrow vertical stack like that would have great dispersion too, giving a more even sound in a venue?

I see GR also do a 2x8 also, wonder if these are any better than the TE's? Drivers seem to be rated slightly higher (for what it's worth).