Why become a member? ×

Are you a 4 or a 5 string player?

GreeneKing

Played 5's from around 89/90. I was playing the working mens clubs and a lot of the covers at that time were synth bass so I needed the bottom B. I had no problem adjusting to the extra string however I'd struggle to go back to a 4 now. I love the extended low range and a 4 seems like a pencil. Also my bearings go skew on a 4 now.

I tried a 6 - on the basis that I'd made the transition from 4 to 5 OK but never got to grips with it (expensive experiment by the way).

Both 4 and 5. I tend to stagger between the two. I actually started on a five then "discovered" four and and now back to using a five about 50% of the time. There's also the issue of a 4 with a de-tuner that I also use (open drop-D is a different thing to fretted low D on a 5).

It's all so complicated!!

I'm a 4 string player. Had a 5 for a couple of months years ago, but didn't get on with the string spacing. String spacing doesn't seem to be an issue for me any more. I'm getting a custom 6 this year though :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='456624' date='Apr 7 2009, 05:43 PM']I think if you broke this down into genres, you'd probably find the funk, R&B and metal guys tended to have more 5s or higher than the punk guys, with rock and jazz guys not really following any kind of pattern.[/quote]

.... and us Ceilidh guys?

I'm with The Funk .. 5 for my normal band but 4 in tricky situations like jams

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='456788' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:38 PM']Both 4 and 5. I tend to stagger between the two. I actually started on a five then "discovered" four and and now back to using a five about 50% of the time. There's also the issue of a 4 with a de-tuner that I also use (open drop-D is a different thing to fretted low D on a 5).

It's all so complicated!![/quote]

+1!, although I've started the other way 'round :-)

Have been playing a 4 (Ibanez GSR-180) for about a year now, and with a regular playing slot in my local church, have found it a bit limiting, especially trying to get a decent low D. Bought a 5'er off member MMC on this forum a couple of months ago (another Ibanez, ATK-305), and haven't looked back!

I'm liking the tone I'm getting (it's currently strung thru-body for the extra sustain), but feel I need a better combo amp (cue the next round of GAS!). I also find the versatility more rewarding, as I've got more options for playing around the fretboard - I like the comment in another thread about learning basslines without having to resort to open strings, makes transposition a [i]lot[/i] easier!

I've also played a 5-string fretless, which I really liked, so that will be my next bass...once I've bought a new amp + cab, then, who knows, indulge in some 6-string goodness (what tuning? F# - G or B - C? Choices, choices!)

Anyway, great poll (how about a button marked 'all of the above'!!!).

Have fun!

Ian

4 for me, and short scale at that. The few 5s I've tried have been too physically demanding. I haven't got particularly small hands but I've spent too many years playing the guitar, and don't want any physical restrictions inhibiting me musically. And I don't see any real need to go lower than E, or higher than I can with 4 strings. Call me a philistine!

I hate playing the 5. problem is that I also hate retuning between songs and I hate playing in drop D or C anyway (my brain can't cope with notes not being where they should be) so the 5 gets played 90% of the time. Although I've ridiculed them in the past, maybe one of those auto tuning basses would suit me fine so I can change eadg to bead at the flick of a switch. I tried BEAD once, but miss the G string and can't be bothered to change basses between songs either. :)

4 stringer, me - though I have had and played all sorts up to 6 string and found them equally fun. I have definitely settled on two four strings now, fretted and fretless.

I always tune my basses DADG though so I don't feel quite right playing in E. Might as well have a few extra notes, and I like the lower tension.

Cheers
ped

Well, after due consideration, m'lud, I voted 5-string (...but would add 'mainly'!).
Similarly to what Rich said, I do use my 4 and 6 string basses just as much. Depends on the situation really.
My SR5 has been my main bass for about the last 12 years since I got it and though I always take a 4 for backup, I tend to feel naked without that low B.
I play in two bands in particular that are both quite keyboard-heavy and the B allows me to 'compete' with them too. Not to mention not having to faf around with dropped D's etc.
For one of the above bands, I would usually take a 6, a 5 and a fretless 4.
Bottom line (no pun intended) if I could only ever take one bass, it'd probably be the 5.

Cheers,
Steve

I have 2 x 4's and 2 x 5's. I prefer the extra notes I get on the 5 string when I [i]want[/i] to use them (rarely do I need them as such). I do however generally play more consistently on a 4 string.

Had a 6 string once but that was definitely overkill for me - I was extremely ropey with it and the high C just got in my way without me utilising it at all.

[quote name='Kirky' post='457130' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:17 AM']4 for me, and short scale at that. The few 5s I've tried have been too physically demanding. I haven't got particularly small hands but I've spent too many years playing the guitar, and don't want any physical restrictions inhibiting me musically. And I don't see any real need to go lower than E, or higher than I can with 4 strings. Call me a philistine![/quote]
Philistine!

Buy my Yamaha 5-string Martin. It's only a 34" ...free delivery 'n all :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='457184' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:08 AM']I always used to prefer 4's & for fast technical playing still do, but I can't really vote on the poll, as these days I use 4, 5 & 6 almost equally. Different quantities of strings for different jobs.

Rich.[/quote]
+1. I have the same 'horses for courses' tool box.

Actually, the poll would be very interesting if you had to select which you LEAST use. In my case, that would be '4'.