Why become a member? ×

A Wal of a sort ….

LukeFRC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1979-Wal-Pro-Bass-RARE-Plain-Face-Earliest-Example-/185252436855?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I’ll leave this here, this lot often seem to have Japanese basses at silly prices - this time it’s a couple of Wals -  this one complete… well I’m sure it’s a reasonable price for what it is 🤪

• Confused 1

This guy is another example of the growing number of absolutely deluded eBay sellers...

He has a shed load of other instruments at absolutely astronomical prices that NO ONE will ever pay. 

In his mind he probably sees himself as a millionaire based on the prices he gives his inventory - in reality the cumulative value of his stock is probably 10% of what he's trying to get out of it. 

Gobsmacked 😮

Never thought I’d see an eBay seller that actually makes that German Music Outlet Shop look sane.  Even they listed a Wal Pro neck at 10% of that price a few years back.

The sad thing is there are actually a few nice instruments on that site that no one will ever own.....😕

• Thanks 1

Bought at auction for £520.  For sale for £7000.  Skim down to the video, it's really quite amusing.  

https://reverb.com/item/49175471-1979-wal-pro-bass-rare-plain-face-earliest-example-frets-removed-to-play-fretless

Almost everything said in the ad is untrue.  Though the neck is genuine.

Sorry mods, it's not eBay but still weird ( and maybe wonderful in terms oof advertising spin)

There's another thread about the Ebay listing for whatever the hell this is.

His pricing strategy definitely appears to be to add two 0s to the average market rate for any item, unless it's been daubed by, or allegedly breathed on by some minor musical mediocrity, in which case add five. He has a whole lot of signed Megadeth gear - including two Dave Ellefson basses, for remortgage-your-house money.

I wonder if I'm alone in wondering what exactly Ellefson signed them with.

• Like 1

The pro 1 is real, but he doesn't even know if it's a passive or active one .. and anyway it's the type with the p position pickup which won't sound like Wal very much. £3000 tops.

Have you seen the other one? (See my post). A Wal neck on a bitsa .. bought for £520 and he wants £7000.

One of our number queried the prices of these and was told  "we'll let the market decide".

Hopefully the market will decide they're scamming barstewards.

He should have a suitcase with pop out legs and a spot on an east end corner with a look out… 

“come closer, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, you won’t see this quality any cheaper”

Edited by Bunion
  • Haha 5

I don’t normally take much notice of these things, but what an absolute knob.  It’s a decent luthier knock up, using a Wal neck, which were not uncommon in the 80’s.  Schaller pickups suggest it’s done on a budget, otherwise it would have EMGs.  That’s it…not a prototype or “custom shop” 😳.  I truly hope there is no one gullible enough to listen to any such crap…

10 minutes ago, BassBod said:

I truly hope there is no one gullible enough to listen to any such crap…

I think the people willing to pay that kind of money for such a brand would have enough knowledge to stay away

• Like 1

That Wal bitsa has EMG Selects in it! 🤣 I don't have a great deal of experience with the brand but I'm guessing that example isn't going to produce those signature tones they're known for.

As previously said that's the guy who bought out all Dave Mustaine's Jacksons, claimed they were for his studio so people could play and record with them and then immediately flipped them for crazy money. Mustaine had originally listed them for pretty much regular market prices too.

It won't sound ANYTHING like a Wal.

Wrong pickups in the wrong positions, wrong body wood, wrong "electronics", wrong bridge.  It's just a neck with some dodgy extra bits bolted on.

Either they know it and they're crooks or they don't and they are too I'll informed to be selling basses.