Why become a member? ×

RIP Burke Shelley

Pat2019

Damn, an underrated bassist and a big influence on me as an early player. I spent many a night as a young teen trying to play along to my Dad's 'Best of Budgie' CD. In For The Kill, Parents and Breadfan kicked my derriere and really helped me with my pick playing.  

RIP. 

• Like 2

My covers band The Junkyard Dogs has covered Baby Please Don't Go for years (with me on vocals!) and our version owes a lot more to Never Turn Your Back On A Friend than it does to Van Morrison and Them.

I lent my original copy to one of my best friends in 1974. He rode home on a weird Suzuki thingy with an upswept exhaust (very rare in those days) and the only way he could take it home was by sliding my LP between the exhaust and the rear sub-frame. Seriously.

Unbelievably, that record never played again.

• Haha 4

gutting news.

Burke was a family friend when I was a kid but I hadnt crossed paths with him since the 90s when I left Wales.

I never actually saw Budgie (and wasnt a huge fan despite being a metalhead) but still probably saw Burke play live more times than any other bass player

he was a genuinely down to earth and nice guy who was hilariously funny (he made a hysterical singing nun). he was also a very talented bass player with a far broader range than you may imagine.

he was a huge influence on my bass playing - not so much in style as in encouragement and definitely in terms of playing the thing bloody loud - he ran a Marshall Major flat out into a pair of Vox Foundation 18s for pub gigs for gods sake

anyway, somewhere it'll always be a sunday afternoon in the royal oak soundtracked by beautiful lies

chin chin old chap

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

My covers band The Junkyard Dogs has covered Baby Please Don't Go for years (with me on vocals!) and our version owes a lot more to Never Turn Your Back On A Friend than it does to Van Morrison and Them.

I lent my original copy to one of my best friends in 1974. He rode home on a weird Suzuki thingy with an upswept exhaust (very rare in those days) and the only way he could take it home was by sliding my LP between the exhaust and the rear sub-frame. Seriously.

I'd been struggling to work out how to play songs on bass for ages when one day, for the umpteenth time, I put that track on and somehow just... played along with it. It was my eureka moment. Budgie were my favourite band in the Seventies and Burke inspired me to play bass. He never knew of course but I have had some of the best times of my life playing bass thanks to him.

• Like 1

I admit to being slightly too young to be into Budgie at the time but over the years I heard a few songs and realised that they were a superb band. About 15 years ago I started to seriously give them a listen and was blown away by how many great songs they had. Burke can rest easy now knowing his legacy lives on.

I knew he hadn't been well for some time but sad non the less. The first serious rock gig I went to was 1981 with Gillan headlining and Budgie as one of the supports. I thoroughly enjoyed their set yet for some reason never got round to seeing them again which I regret. Proper power trio.

• Like 1

Likes the Budgie...

Lots of old vinyl and the MCA 3 disk box set, In for the kill, Bandolier, Never turn ya back on a friend, 3 great albums for a tenner!  is a bargain for those wishing to get a refresh.

Often billed as a British (Welsh) Rush, but @KevBsums it up 'proper power trio'

Was a bit on the telly about Rockfield Studios a while back... Looking to see if there is any Old Grey Whistle Test footage...

I too remember Breadfan as a standout track back in the day.  Budgie were one of the bands that , like Judas Priest and UFO for example, were a precursor to the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (now there's a phrase I haven't heard in a while...) that was a thing in 1979/80. Saw them opening for Ozzy Osbourne in 1980 and they were a consummate live act, from what I can remember.

I recall seeing Burke Shelley on some program or other a few years back talking about his Christian faith ect. Good for him, I thought.

Anyhow,I hope he is at peace now.🙂

All this is making me realize how long ago the 1970s are  getting to be.

Edited by Misdee

15 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

That's what the 70s were really like in a nutshell!  Motorbikes, warped vinyl (and people who claimed to be able to do Kung Fu but in reality probably couldn't, from what I remember).

• Haha 1

Two of my fave tracks.  This one is a remix of Crash Course in Brain Surgery (which is just the greatest track title) with a different guitar to Tony Bourge.  Not sure who, tbh, as there seemed a lot of changing around in later years.  Love the simplicity of this riff.

And good old Zoom Club.

22 hours ago, Misdee said:

I recall seeing Burke Shelley on some program or other a few years back talking about his Christian faith ect. Good for him, I thought.

I saw a clip where he was moaning about Islam being everywhere in Britain. Great musician but not very accepting of others beliefs.

23 hours ago, ubit said:

I saw a clip where he was moaning about Islam being everywhere in Britain. Great musician but not very accepting of others beliefs.

I'm sorry to hear that. I would give him the benefit of the doubt at the very least until I know the context of those remarks.

Just a general observation, but I suppose as people get older, regardless of what line of work they are in, they have a tendency to get more frightened by what they can't understand or can't control.