Why become a member? ×

Cort SCMS - initial thoughts and options

franzbassist

A while back I bought a Cort SCMS (single cut multi scale) bass.  I know single cuts are a bit marmite to the BC massive, but I've never had an issue with them.  I've fancied trying a multi scale bass for a while, and with my band playing a lot of songs tuned down a tone, it seemed a good, fairly cost-effective vehicle to use for this purpose.

cort-a5-plus-scms-open-pore-trans-grey-front.thumb.jpg.8906737275e7732121b0c3e6ecdac545.jpg

Out of the box, the bass played really well with a super low action, great fret finishing, even string tension, and tremendous articulation across the board.  At 8.5lbs it was nice and light too.  Balance was good.

65914632_cort-a5-plus-scms-open-pore-trans-grey-front2.thumb.jpg.50c8bf9563469fc02bf9e090e5f656d3.jpg

What didn't I like?  A few minor things:

i) the preamp was hissy and looked a real mess inside (this photo isn't my bass, but it's the same preamp and finish quality)

IMG_1962.thumb.JPG.34086dcb0d566fd4b25dffb87188ff87.JPG

ii) the pickups lacked any real character

iii) the nut was sharp on the edges, which made the bass  uncomfortable to play in first position

iv) the small top horn meant the bass sat in a different position to that which I'm used to - the neck felt like more of a reach away -  so the lack of strap locks meant I was concerned the bass would fall off the button

v) one of the screws holding the E string bridge in place had obviously sheared off at some point, so the unit was not flush to the body, and the screws in general were pretty poor

IMG_1751.thumb.JPG.836f398bfa8bde00c61d232b2cb97274.JPG

IMG_1752.thumb.JPEG.67666027b39f4cda103745c9ad8e13dd.JPEG

As I am an eternal fettler, I decided to do a few changes as follows:

i) rounded the edges of the nut so they are smooth

IMG_1980.thumb.JPG.fc9c4ab0a91a766bb3ec1a76249061c4.JPG

IMG_1981.thumb.JPG.291e5e8faf5bf313d299793bb521bbfe.JPG

ii) replaced all the screws in the bridge units

IMG_1976.thumb.JPG.6b332a6d88840c56dd2984a616e3fc79.JPG

iii) removed preamp and pickups and fully shielded the cavities, also adding a new earth strip under the bridge

iv) installed threaded inserts in the pickup and control cavities, using new threaded bolts to replace the poor quality original screws

v) fitted a new US Bartolini 3 band preamp (volume wih push/pull active/passive)

vi) fitted new US Bartolini MK6CBC pickups.  I used the six string versions to ensure the pickup sensing area was wide enough due to the angled pickups

IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.1540a0beec207a7973c68d3e8ca9471b.JPG

vii) new black Dunlop straplocks, and new black knobs.  I may change all the hardware over to black at some point, or perhaps go for a Wal-like black/chrome mix

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.a3a50c015f2d8ae06d5894bf5be1635f.JPG

I am really pleased with the changes.  They have made what was a good core bass even better.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 8

• franzbassist changed the title to Cort SCMS - initial thoughts and upgrade options
4 hours ago, NikNik said:

I quite fancy one of these. £700 or so? Would not expect to have to modd at that price.

This particular model is discontinued now.  I didn't pay anywhere near retail for mine so was comfortable making the upgrades.  Don't get me wrong, the bass plays well as stock, but I used it as a project.

Edited by franzbassist

I had looked at these. The wiring, preamp and basic bart pickups show that they are made in the same place as the 3 digit ibanez's, looks pretty much the same as probably about as inspiring, which still being a fundamentally reasonable bass.

Sadly there aren't so many around, as I had thought if I could find one cheap and put nords in them it would be an interesting thing.

• Like 1

• franzbassist changed the title to Cort SCMS - initial thoughts and options