Why become a member? ×

Does bass construction affect harmonics?

uk_lefty

1 hour ago, Ruarl said:

I wonder what the connection might be there? Harmonics are a function of the string, not of the tuning system. An out-of-tune bass will produce harmonics almost exactly the same way as if you tuned it. Or am I missing something?

Yep, you are missing something.

The harmonics won't be produced where they are supposed to be, but further one way or the other as it's a mathematical position linked to the string length and thickness.

So, a badly intonated instrument will be a pain in the *ss to play and a pluck and pray for the harmonics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruarl said:

When I first learned about this, I did wonder for a while why everyone didn't play Steinbergers. the carbon fibre construction must be extremely rigid compared to timber. The best answer I've come up with so far is that even though the rigid string is what you start with, it might not necessarily be the best thing. Is Michaelangelo's David better for him having chucked away a load of the marble he started with? That's an extreme example, but I'd love to hear an actual Luthier's take on this. Are any of them working to try and make the body filter the sound in a desirable way? And we haven't even got into the transient effects, which were much harder to measure when I was working on this sort of thing. And they're harder to think about, too!

Check Leduc or Le Fay work. 😉

21 hours ago, iconic said:

I've an RBX4-A2 in the aircraft white/ grey....the lightest AND certainly loudest bass I've ever heard played unplugged, it's truly uncanny.

It's also one of the few basses to have it's own real unique tone.....in that most are very similar to my old ears. 

......odd thing about those A2s be they 4 or 5 string, bass players moan/moaned about a heavy bass, Yamaha pull the stops out and make a very clever uber light one.....bass players then whinge it feels light, toy like and cheap.....🙃

Sold a car to ex UK Yamaha sales manager, 10 mins to sell the car, 2 hours talking Yamaha instruments😃

Cheap?? the build quality alone is insane! - Been trying new kit out for months - and cant work out how 1k Fenders are that price and alot of other brands 

Yeah - the Tone is unique, The stock pickups do enjoy a OD/Distortion. 
My 5 string has SD Q'pounders in and set for Drop C/A. Has a lovely growl to it :)

I cant really say the weight is an issue , as I own a Warwick which is half a tree and love it :D 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Yep, you are missing something.

The harmonics won't be produced where they are supposed to be, but further one way or the other as it's a mathematical position linked to the string length and thickness.

So, a badly intonated instrument will be a pain in the *ss to play and a pluck and pray for the harmonics.

I thought we'd be assuming that the player would be doing their best to find the correct spot to make the harmonics sound the best, rather than rely on the positions of the frets (which aren't a very good guide, even on a well-intoned bass, because of equal temperament. So you're saying that if you *do* rely on the fret positions, and don't work to seek the spot to make the harmonic sound the best, then better intonation improves harmonics?

1 hour ago, Chaddy said:

Cheap?? the build quality alone is insane! - Been trying new kit out for months - and cant work out how 1k Fenders are that price and alot of other brands 

Yeah - the Tone is unique, The stock pickups do enjoy a OD/Distortion. 
My 5 string has SD Q'pounders in and set for Drop C/A. Has a lovely growl to it :)

I cant really say the weight is an issue , as I own a Warwick which is half a tree and love it :D 

I agree I think they are beautifully built.....alas, it seems bass players are indeed a fickle bunch, as if we ever needed reminding.

Light can mean less for some where as, in my books less is more.

Can't see Yamaha going down that route again in the foreseeable future. 

My A2 is amoung my three true keepers I'll own, along with my 1st generation VMJ and, strangely my Westfield B1000 in pink and maple that is delightful.

Many others have come and gone in the last few years after a serious culling.....the Stingray, the Fenders, Aria SB etc

I've been to bottom of the bass rabbit hole only to find I can make any bass sound broken, regardless of cost😄

Edited by iconic

54 minutes ago, Ruarl said:

I thought we'd be assuming that the player would be doing their best to find the correct spot to make the harmonics sound the best, rather than rely on the positions of the frets (which aren't a very good guide, even on a well-intoned bass, because of equal temperament. So you're saying that if you *do* rely on the fret positions, and don't work to seek the spot to make the harmonic sound the best, then better intonation improves harmonics?

Exactly.

That said as a (non lined) fretless player myself, I seek for the harmonics instead of relying on the supposed position, but I very carefully set up my basses to get the best out of them and an excellent set up always makes a huge difference.

• Like 1