Why become a member? ×

Fender pure vintage '63 or Custom Shop '62 P Bass Pickup???

bigthumb

From what I’ve read the 63 has a lot more in the lows and not so many highs in comparison.

I’ve got the 62s and the blurb on the box indicates that they’re a tad scooped but I don’t hear that, to me they’re quite large in the low-mids. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bigthumb said:

I have a '95 US Precision Bass that I'd like to upgrade pup wise, a set of Labellas and use as my 'Motown bass'.  So my question is, what's the difference between the two pickups and what set to go for? 

I forgot to mention, I have a set of 62s I’m looking to move on, in case you’re interested 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2022 at 21:15, Lozz196 said:

From what I’ve read the 63 has a lot more in the lows and not so many highs in comparison.

I have both pickups and would agree with this. They are in two different basses though so there will be other factors influencing the tone. 62 in an old American Standard and the 63 in an American Original.

• Like 1

Instead of starting a new thread on this item Id like to chime in with my own Query. I currently own a Sandberg VS and a Fender Precision Player. The Sandberg has delano pickups with those big pole pieces and a 2 band glockenklang preamp while the fender has the standard fender stock ones with the usual passive set up. I was happy with the Sandberg up to the point where I bought the fender, now I think the sound from the Sandberg seems a but too scooped and clean sounding and the fender seems to have a lot more classic P bass character. I think the problem with the Sandberg might be those pickups. Would anyone have any recommendations for an old school aggressive sounding pickup with plenty of midrange punch       

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 08:38, police squad said:

I have a P bass with the original p bass pickup by fender Model #: 0992046000

it sounds awesome, so worth considering too IMO (it's also cheaper)

I’ve been contemplating this pickup. I saw this post and immediately ordered one!

• Like 1

On 18/02/2022 at 12:07, Quilly said:

Instead of starting a new thread on this item Id like to chime in with my own Query. I currently own a Sandberg VS and a Fender Precision Player. The Sandberg has delano pickups with those big pole pieces and a 2 band glockenklang preamp while the fender has the standard fender stock ones with the usual passive set up. I was happy with the Sandberg up to the point where I bought the fender, now I think the sound from the Sandberg seems a but too scooped and clean sounding and the fender seems to have a lot more classic P bass character. I think the problem with the Sandberg might be those pickups. Would anyone have any recommendations for an old school aggressive sounding pickup with plenty of midrange punch       

I have a Jazz Usa Std with the Custom Shop pickups and I have to say, it's one of the most mid forward Jazz basses I've ever played. Give the CS pups a shot. 

• Like 1

I did opt for the CS pickups, thanks @Lozz196, which were fitted a while back. To my ears they made a big, and very nice difference. Without having a same bass with the stock pickups alongside to A/B it's difficult to make a comparison after a few months of being fitted but what I can say is that it was money well worth spending. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/02/2022 at 12:07, Quilly said:

Nordstrand NP4 ❤