Why become a member? ×

Clip on tuners (I know, I know)

fretmeister

TC Polytune or Unitune. I’ve had a few clip-on tuners and aside from the TC ones none were any good at tuning an E string in a gig environment, whereas the TCs have no problems at all on this. And due to the design you can have the tuner on the back of the headstock so the audience only see the clip part on the front.

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

I got a Unitune for Christmas - it's excellent. It's replaced my Snark, which kinda did the job but the TC is a big improvement and can accurately track a low B. I also don't massively see the point of the extra Polytune bells and whistles, even for a guitar. 

Well, the polytune existed before the unitune. Certainly I don't use the poly part on the bass, but it is handy on the guitar. One strum and you can tune it all, couple of seconds and you are done.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, the polytune existed before the unitune. Certainly I don't use the poly part on the bass, but it is handy on the guitar. One strum and you can tune it all, couple of seconds and you are done.

I've got a Polytune pedal tuner, but I think I just find the Polytune option a bit overwhelming! Too much to look at that technically/logically makes sense, but to me looks like chaos.

3 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I got mine from G4M. Ordered at 1pm and it arrived before 9am the next day. Great service and a good price too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

You star!

Thank you.

Ordered!

• Like 1

Another vote for Peterson Stroboclip HD (although it's oddly difficult to find the dedicated case for it - lots of places sell the tuner but not the case).

Had one for Christmas and it seems very good. Obviously will have to see how it lasts. With cheaper clip ons previously I found they sort of dropped off in sensitivity (regardless of battery change) - probably to do with wear/tear on the 'hinge' bit ???

On 10/01/2022 at 21:11, Lozz196 said:

TC Polytune or Unitune. I’ve had a few clip-on tuners and aside from the TC ones none were any good at tuning an E string in a gig environment, whereas the TCs have no problems at all on this. And due to the design you can have the tuner on the back of the headstock so the audience only see the clip part on the front.

Totally agree with this. They're not the toughest though - my Polytune broke after while. I replaced it a Unitune which works just as well if you don't need the polyphonic tuning.