Why become a member? ×

Schecter Omen - any experiences?

Grassie

I’ve got an Extreme 4, had it for 5 years and absolutely love it. The neck in particular. Nice C profile, thin but not too thin, and the satin finish is ridiculously smooth. Fit and finish is great and set up was good out the box. It just feels so nice to play. If anything the sound is the weak point (not bad, not terribly exciting), but I mostly play alone through headphones so can’t weigh in too much there. 

Take the gushing with a pinch of salt as this was my ‘upgrade’ from a piece of junk and is my only bass. I did go and try out some potential swaps recently and far preferred mine to a Player Jazz, Mustang and Yamaha TRBX…nicer neck and the quality just felt better. Its actually annoying because I’ve kind of grown out of the fancy inlays but looks like I’m stuck with this thing forever!

• Like 2

I love the look of them. But I've never actually played one. 

There was an absolute beauty five string version for sale on here  about 18 months ago that I was really tempted with, but I'd never played anything other than A4 string at the time so didn't pull the trigger. Ironically I now pretty much exclusively play a six string. 

While the look is a major selling point for me, it would also be my best concern. They have a definite rock / metal vibe. If that's all you ever intend to play then great, go for it. But you'd like a bit daft turning up with one to play in pretty much any other genre.

• Like 1

My friend from school has his own signature model Extreme 5 and absolutely swears by it. Apparently the neck profile is nice and thin which helps him as he converted from guitar and likes a thinner neck. Apparently it is a 'fast' neck. He plays metal of the metalliest metal. 

Fit and finish on Schecters is generally pretty impressive for the price point.  Pretty much the looks and use of EMG pickups (which I don't generally like) on a lot of the models which put me off. The retro J and P basses look lovely though. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I love the look of them. But I've never actually played one. 

There was an absolute beauty five string version for sale on here  about 18 months ago that I was really tempted with, but I'd never played anything other than A4 string at the time so didn't pull the trigger. Ironically I now pretty much exclusively play a six string. 

While the look is a major selling point for me, it would also be my best concern. They have a definite rock / metal vibe. If that's all you ever intend to play then great, go for it. But you'd like a bit daft turning up with one to play in pretty much any other genre.

You're talking about this fairly regular, rounded off body shape like it's a BC Rich Warlock or something!

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at this bass turning up at any gig regardless of the genre because it's pretty conventional but modern to my eyes.  Is it the name that bothers you enough to pigeonhole it?  Is it the slightly gothic/churchy inlays?  Genuinely interested to know where other people's lines are drawn on these things.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You're talking about this fairly regular, rounded off body shape like it's a BC Rich Warlock or something!

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at this bass turning up at any gig regardless of the genre because it's pretty conventional but modern to my eyes.  Is it the name that bothers you enough to pigeonhole it?  Is it the slightly gothic/churchy inlays?  Genuinely interested to know where other people's lines are drawn on these things.

I agree. The headstock is slightly "metal", but it's the body shape that I really like. I quite like the inlays and I'm a total sucker for anything with binding. IMO Schecter should make it with their 4 in a row headstock that adorns their P and J models.