Why become a member? ×

Hmmm, Bass Gallery might court controversy here

Clarky

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Didn't we have a poster on here who tried to tell us all the confederacy was motivated by economics and totally not about owning humans?

Was he the same one who was always talking about how Hitler loved children and his dog?

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2022 at 19:55, lemmywinks said:

It was this thread I think, haven't found the posts yet:

There's been a concerted effort to legitimise the confederacy over the years, essentially trying to rewrite history. Similar to holocaust denial, evolution denial and flat earthers they have a lot of "evidence" they can present for those who struggle processing information.

It did get interesting 🤔 

Edited by Les
Got the wrong end of the stick flew of the handle and shot from the hip.

We probably don’t need to continue posting ridiculous confederacy paraphernalia.

I can’t see it on the Gallery socials anymore (although still on the website) so if we’re done, will close it out as a dead topic.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As some who loves country music, and has lived in the American South, I find these comments amusing, especially those who want to show their higher moral authority by assuming all Southerns (and/or country musicians) are ignorant and inbred. Didn’t Kris attend Oxford?

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

As some who loves country music, and has lived in the American South, I find these comments amusing, especially those who want to show their higher moral authority by assuming all Southerns (and/or country musicians) are ignorant and inbred. Didn’t Kris attend Oxford?

Having just read the thread back again - respectfully, wtf are you on about? No one has mentioned country musicians, or even “all southerners” -

the whole thread has been about the morality of putting the flag of a bunch secessionist states (that crucially liked keeping humans as property, that started a war over it) on a bass - especially when that flag in the U.K. and US has increasingly become a rallying point for a certain type of right wing racism …

plus someone pointed out the stars were wonky. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Don't worry, you can still mock southerners and be 'right on', I think. Just mention Alabama or Georgia anywhere and wait for the Deliverance jokes to start! 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Having just read the thread back again - respectfully, wtf are you on about? No one has mentioned country musicians, or even “all southerners” -

the whole thread has been about the morality of putting the flag of a bunch secessionist states (that crucially liked keeping humans as property, that started a war over it) on a bass - especially when that flag in the U.K. and US has increasingly become a rallying point for a certain type of right wing racism …

plus someone pointed out the stars were wonky. 

Double check comments from Lozz and Lemmiewinks….and, btw, that’s not the confederate flag. 

Even if not well executed its clearly supposed to denote the confederate flag (or is the name 'Rebel bass' a complete coincidence?) And if enough people think thats what it denotes (I clearly am not in a minority of one), it will cause offense. That was my point. 

It’s interesting to me how many folks are triggered by the flag here. I wonder who it was that brought slavery to American shores? How many American Southerners today who might fly the Confederate battle flag would support slavery? What is it precisely that offends you? If it is historical slavery, how about doing something to combat modern day slavery? Btw, I do believe slavery is a horrible thing.

5 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

It’s interesting to me how many folks are triggered by the flag here. I wonder who it was that brought slavery to American shores? How many American Southerners today who might fly the Confederate battle flag would support slavery? What is it precisely that offends you? If it is historical slavery, how about doing something to combat modern day slavery? Btw, I do believe slavery is a horrible thing.

Whataboutism. The confederates wanted slaves and seceeded to keep it that way. It doesn’t matter how many flag wavers don’t want slavery to come back; the symbolism perpetuates the shameful history.
No amount of ‘heritage’ can cover this up. There is plenty of cultural difference and variety in The South to stop needing to fly this flag (or near-facsimiles).

It’s also perfectly possible to combat modern slavery and dislike reminders of slavery in the past. This is the same lame argument about caring for homeless ex-soldiers before letting refugees in; rich nations can do both.

• Like 2

Funny. When I googled Confederate Flag, the first thing that came up on my feed was the ADL 'Fighting Hate for Good' website, listing it as a hate signal which has become associated with/coopted by white supremacists. But if thats not offensive, what do I know?

Screenshot_20220122-172954_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

I guess I am more concerned with ideas than symbols. Doc Martens used to be skinhead wear…I’m not offended by a pair of shoes, but will happily work to combat ignorance and blind hate. The fact that you are reacting to something you know almost nothing about concerns me as well. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

All while shrugging off the British slave trade which brought slave to North America in the first place…

When a bass made up to look like symbols of the British slave trade, or other atrocities committed in the past by the British Empire, I'm sure you will see similar commentary.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I guess I am more concerned with ideas than symbols. Doc Martens used to be skinhead wear…I’m not offended by a pair of shoes, but will happily work to combat ignorance and blind hate. The fact that you are reacting to something you know almost nothing about concerns me as well. 

You don’t seem to know much about it either or are you going to tell us about States’ Rights now?

• Kev locked this topic