Why become a member? ×

Old Trace Elliot?

evan47

I have a chance of buying an old Trace Elliot combo.

It is a 1 x 15 with 2 ports on the front, 7 band graphic. 

This is carpet covered not vinyl. Made in the UK with some red detailing on the front.

It is said to be in excellent condition.

The seller is asking £250 plus courier costs.

Should I go for it or not?

I used to have one of those combos. It sounds like a Kamen era SM300 Combo. It might be an SMC if there is a compressor. 

It was the loudest amp I could comfortably fit in the back of a black cab in Glasgow to do gigs. I had just enough strength to carry it down a flight of stairs and into the taxi and then carry it out of the taxi and walk 50 yards or so into the venue. I was around 20 then. I replaced it with a Mesa Walkabout 1x15 which was slightly lighter, had less clean headroom but sounded miles better. 

I think I sold the Trace Elliot for about £150 but it was a deal for a local teenager who needed an amp. 

Great amp but there are lighter and louder options out there. 

If I did want a Trace Elliot combo I would keep an eye out for an 12 band SMX combo as the amps are more flexible than the 7 band SM series. 

Edited by thodrik
Inability to distinguish 'yards' from 'years'!

23 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I used to have one of those combos. It sounds like a Kamen era SM300 Combo. It might be an SMC if there is a compressor. 

I had just enough strength to carry it down a flight of stairs and into the taxi and then carry it out of the taxi and walk 50 years or so into the venue.

That's a very long walk to be fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I couldn't agree with you , the obvious defect of old generation TRACE ELLIOT is the excessive weight . I say ever that for me it is the perfect amplifier and we haven't done any better , but I have all my TRACE ELLIOT units only at home . On stage I play on BOSE L1 model II or EDEN TWX 500 (to small and lightweight !) with Phil Jones C4 cab.  I am 59 , lot of gear handling in the past and my back does not fail to tell me ! 

I am a truly TRACE ELLIOT lover , but the years make me careful for my vertebraes :D 

Thank you all for the great advice.

I think I will sit back and enjoy my old Ampeg B100R ( an older USA build) and Trace transit b preamp.

If a Trace combo comes up locally (and they do from time to time ) I may check it out.

Are the vinyl covered amps better than the carpet covered ones?

20 hours ago, thodrik said:

If I did want a Trace Elliot combo I would keep an eye out for an 12 band SMX combo as the amps are more flexible than the 7 band SM series. 

The mutts nuts of  TE era combos,  like my bad boy.  The SMX dual band compressor jobbie

1319006277_tesmx.thumb.jpg.fe6a3d4315b9a0fcffa49dc35ff60418.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that I never got into the TE world that much. I do own a 7 band amp supposedly 300W but with 150W penciled on the output PCB. I bought it faulty as a project but was disappointed in the engineering of the cooling path. Just a fan blowing on a heat sink with no exit path for the air to follow.