Why become a member? ×

DR Neon strings: can one buy singles? especifically a B string.

mcnach

42 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

I take it you rate them as strings? 

Of course, why would I want them otherwise? :D

They're good, in my opinion, similar to the DR Sunbeams. They're not my absolute favourite but they're pretty good, and I fancied a bit of colour for this particular bass. 

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Have you tried emailing them direct? Some bass companies have surprisingly good customer services. Admittedly some don't. I use these on a couple of my basses and am a fan. They always commented on when I play. 

I think that's going to be the next step, indeed. And failing that, find someone who wants the 4-string set and get a 5-string set. Or forget about colours and just carry on as usual :D

56 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

Yer i haven't taken the plunge with trying them. Always in the back of mind wasn't sure if it was a bit gimmicky or not

They are a bit gimmicky, I mean... bright colours that fluoresce brightly under UV light! But the strings are good regardless. Years ago I was using the DR Black Beauties a lot. These are very similar if not identical. They are not as bright as fresh Sunbeams out of the box, but Sunbeams mellow rapidly losing the zing and the coated ones (Neon or standard coloured ones) stay the same longer... I would compare them to 2 week old Sunbeams, which is a good sound! They are quite smooth to the touch too, which is nice. You can feel the grooves but your fingers glide over them. I think they're worth a try, but it's not cheap to experiment with strings eh?

In terms of how bright they are under UV light, I have tried the red, orange and blue ones. The orange ones are very very bright. The red ones... they're almost the same: they look red under normal light but they glow bright orange, just a little darker than the orange ones. The blue ones are much dimmer, which I like: they're much less "hey look at me!" but still cool.

• Like 1