Why become a member? ×

Fender Classic Series 50's P-Bass - poly or nitro?

40hz

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could tell whether the finish on my bass is poly or nitro finished? 

I would have said poly, but where I have a small chip on the upper bout, it seems to have some sort of cellulose type white material poking out. None of my poly basses have ever exhibited this with dinks etc.

I know that the Classic Series came Nitro finished for the Roadworns, and poly for the non-roadworn (as this is). 

Many thanks in advance, you fine people!

IMG_20220109_123803798.jpg

IMG_20220109_123901690.jpg

No idea what that is, very strange. Nitrocellulose paint doesn't look like that either, hmm. I hope somebody else can provide some information.

The Classic series came both in poly and nitro (the latter one being a bit more expensive), separately from the Roadworn which were quite different animals. 

You could always test the paint on some hidden area (under the pickguard?). Nitro will dissolve in acetone, while poly will not.

• Like 1

That’s had a bump while wrapped in something (I call them guitar socks) and when bumped, it’s trapped some of the packing material and “grabbed” it…

They did poly in

black

fiesta red

2 colour burst

honey blonde

and a nitro finish on the “lacquer” models in 

White Blonde

Black

these came with a tweed case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That’s had a bump while wrapped in something (I call them guitar socks) and when bumped, it’s trapped some of the packing material and “grabbed” it…

They did poly in

black

fiesta red

2 colour burst

honey blonde

and a nitro finish on the “lacquer” models in 

White Blonde

Black

these came with a tweed case.

Thank you, Andy. Makes sense! 

As an aside, if anyone is wondering why the the G-string seems close to the edge of the neck, she currently has a snapped nut! 

35 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That makes sense. Trav to the rescue, again 👏👏👏.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1