Why become a member? ×

NBD: 2015 Thunderbird

Old Horse Murphy

Well, that was short-lived. My 2022 Gear Abstinence lasted a matter of days and if it wasn't for this pesky Thunderbird I'd have gotten away with it. 

It's a 2015 Thunderbird with the factory added coil taps and other features such as a thicker rosewood fingerboard, Babicz bridge and Pearl inlays. It's in really really good condition and I can't imagine has been played that much. 

It's surprisingly versatile and actually a lot more comfortable ergonomically than I first thought. 

Im not sure exactly when I'm going to use it but I will definitely use it!

58154A44-FDB7-4FB9-9C6E-A470CDBFD9BC.jpeg

0C535E13-9426-4327-A7CC-584576908630.jpeg

09FDC1CE-29B1-4743-89A7-D24D6C2E8FE4.jpeg

75C5C196-EFD4-46E4-95BF-9FF6D331BF3C.jpeg

32B0EC20-DA3D-44AA-9F86-7DCB0ADC2D02.jpeg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Cool people don’t give a sh*r about logistics 

I knew that..😐

I am probably the least coolest person in the world; an accountant who started playing bass so I had something to fall back on...

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
I
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

It’s sometimes surprising what sort of music they’ve been used on. 4 Seasons had them, they’ve cropped up in country bands, anyone got other unusual bands using one? 🤔

Sir Horace Gentleman (Specials) sometimes uses one as does Simon Gallup from The Cure (but that’s not so unsurprising).

I have a 2014 Gibson Thunderbird. It's brilliant. Being a gear geek over lockdown I did some a video sound comparison of all my basses (from Fenders to Hofner to Rickenbacker) and posted on my personal social media to all my friends (musicians & non-musicians alike). Nearly everyone agreed the Thunderbird was the best sounding bass. Make of that what you will. 

And to echo the comments made so far, they've cropped up in everything from Patti Smith Group, Kiss, The Cure, Black Crowes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Sisters of Mercy, New York Dolls and loads more. I've used mine in an Americana band and a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute. Surprisingly versatile. 

Seems like an evolutionary thing as I expect my taste to change over time.

My P7 is definitely my keeper, the only thing I dislike about it is that headstock but I don't look at it enough to be a real issue.
It was love at first sight after opening the box and became a keeper as soon as I played it, countless hours later I still love the feel and sound.

20210213_095253.thumb.jpg.b59119064738fbe23ec403ddb4a12e09.jpg

A custom Sandberg P is my dream bass and will be until I buy one, I hope it'll live up to expectations and become a keeper but suspect I'll still go back to my P7 a lot for that neck.

5 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

It’s sometimes surprising what sort of music they’ve been used on. 4 Seasons had them, they’ve cropped up in country bands, anyone got other unusual bands using one? 🤔

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

And to echo the comments made so far, they've cropped up in everything from Patti Smith Group, Kiss, The Cure, Black Crowes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Sisters of Mercy, New York Dolls and loads more. I've used mine in an Americana band and a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute. Surprisingly versatile. 

But, but, think of the children!  You can't take bass X to gig Y!

Despite achieving double-figure Thunderbird purchases over the years and while I never pulled the trigger on one of these, I did actually play one for a few minutes in New York when they came out.  I have to say that the first mod I would do on a three-point bridge was replace it with a Hipshot Supertone; this was the first time I'd seen the Babicz bridge, so I eventually went the expensive route of swapping out the Hipshot Supertones for the Babicz units.

I honestly couldn't work out what the microswitches were actually doing, if anything.  Any change to the tone must have been so subtle my ears weren't registering it.