Why become a member? ×

Series V Trace Elliot - Wowser

King Tut

I've got this old Trace AH250 and had decided to move it on. It used to be the hire amp at our local music shop, Hollywood Music. Battered to funk and a weighty beast. So I took it to rehearsal yesterday to make sure it was all working and wow - just blown away with the tone. Solid, clean and amazingly loud! The guys immediately berated me for considering selling it so it looks like it's staying. It's nice and quiet now as I've had a new fan put in and the UV, which caused a crackle, has been replaced with LEDs. Just need to figure out a way to protect the front and back in transit and she'll be good to gig. Next rehearsal I'll be testing the much smaller Series 6 SMX250. If that sounds as good, this one might get the push but until then I've made some room in my life for it!!

IMG_20220108_163415838_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 12

8 hours ago, YGBASS said:

I think so too ! 

@King Tut Please , how do have made the UV led illumination ? 

I bought a strip of self adhesive LEDs from eBay, then got an amp tech to hardwire the 12v transformer into the amp and just leave the connector poking out the front. I then stuck the LEDs around the inside of the front and attached the connector 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Yes it's definitely a mark V. I'll have a look at my smaller one to work out what model it is. It has a valve pre and a dual band compressor.

Dual band compression makes it an SMX, most likely a 250, being smaller than your MkV.

Peavey really goofed when they left out the EQ Balance in the new stuff, if you ask me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Dual band compression makes it an SMX, most likely a 250, being smaller than your MkV.

Peavey really goofed when they left out the EQ Balance in the new stuff, if you ask me.

Yeah just checked - it's an SMX 250. It's got a heatsink - no fan!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Some have a dodgy amp to chassis ground via a star washer that rusts. When that happens the amp blows up in a bad way. I think it's only on the bi-polar 'bear' version.

Yes - got one of those too and had the earth checked. Also had some other mods done on that one to stop it self destructing. I've gigged that one a bit. It's a 7 band one.