Why become a member? ×

Did you ever find your perfect bass.?

bubinga5

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Well like I say, nothing is for everyone. Everyone is physically different. That’s why I never really understand “which bass should I get?” threads. Try them and get the one you like! 

My first Ric was the first bass I’d ever played. Had never even touched one before that. 

I tried so hard to like it. I couldn't believe it when I got it, I just used to gaze at it lovingly for hours.

I borrowed the money from my sister to buy it & paid her back out of my Saturday job wages.

It cost me £206.00 & my Hondo which I P/X'd against it. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RhysP said:

I tried so hard to like it. I couldn't believe it when I got it, I just used to gaze at it lovingly for hours.

I borrowed the money from my sister to buy it & paid her back out of my Saturday job wages.

It cost me £206.00 & my Hondo which I P/X'd against it. 🙂

Think mine was £295, but I could be wrong. I was the same, couldn’t believe it. Used to hang it on my bedroom wall. I remember opening the shipping box in the (tiny) shop and all the polystyrene bits falling out. It came with flats and a ridiculously high action. Of course I didn’t know any better at the time. It was a revelation when I finally fitted rounds and had it set up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Think mine was £295, but I could be wrong. I was the same, couldn’t believe it. Used to hang it on my bedroom wall. I remember opening the shipping box in the (tiny) shop and all the polystyrene bits falling out. It came with flats and a ridiculously high action. Of course I didn’t know any better at the time. It was a revelation when I finally fitted rounds and had it set up. 

I've got a photo of it somewhere.

I found a potato that I thought looked just like Geddy Lee, so I put one of my mum's wigs on it, used some Marigold gloves as hands & took a picture of it "playing" my Ric.  😂

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RhysP said:

I've got a photo of it somewhere.

I found a potato that I thought looked just like Geddy Lee, so I put one of my mum's wigs on it, used some Marigold gloves as hands & took a picture of it "playing" my Ric.  😂

i suspect I'd have found your potato's singing voice slightly easier on my ears than Mr Lee, whose vocals I can't get my head round.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, RhysP said:

Here's the photo of the Geddy Lee potato. 🙂

Apologies for the terrible quality, it was taken over 40 years ago on a crappy little camera.

D8BDC616-1097-409A-8008-55A8EAF522F5.jpeg

That's one very lucky potato!  Speaking of just sitting and gazing adoringly at basses, I've always been like that with Rickys.  Started the first time I saw Pete Quaife of the Kinks playing his, so it's strange I've never even tried let alone owned one after all these years.  Always out of my price range back then and I'm a short-scale/compact/lightweight kinda guy nowadays.  Still top of my eye-candy list though, always will be.

• Like 2