Why become a member? ×

How do I tell my wife I just bought another bass?

Rayman

On 08/01/2022 at 17:41, Len_derby said:

Luckily, me n’ the wife are relaxed about what each of us buy for our hobbies.

I might be able to sneak a new bass into the house but she’s going to struggle with another kayak. Currently I believe she has two 🤔.

82C94B5D-2DF0-405C-A2CC-4163DBF97ED2.jpeg

Are they both red?

For my most recent acquisition, bought a week before my birthday:

Me: "You know you asked me what I'd like for my birthday?"

Mrs Zero: "Yes"

Me: "Could I have forgiveness please?"

I really should sell one or two though. It's currently somewhere round the two dozen mark.

• Haha 4

On 08/01/2022 at 18:43, thebrig said:

I'm also one of the lucky ones, my missus gets quite upset when I sell a bass, and she doesn't mind me buying a bass,

Same here. I keep saying that I have two fretless jazzes and perhaps should sell the one that people might be willing to buy, and I'm told that I should not as it's the one I've coveted for 30 years and so I should keep it.
She has also been learning to play a bass I purchased recently.

A bass is always going to be a problem to move in one piece. Take the neck off, and do it in two inconspicuous trips. Once inside, reassemble and hide it behind the others. If you get caught out in the open with it, I'm afraid gas-lighting is probably the best resort. Tell her you've had it for years.

If you're really of that persuasion to have to try to conceal such things, the conversation goes thusly...

"This old thing? This is the one that I've been saying I need to upgrade to a better bass for years. I thought I'd give it just one more try. You mean to say you've not been listening to me all this time?"

4 minutes ago, alyctes said:

"Hey, traded the pink Fender for this.  Good innit?"

“You had a pink fender?!”

”yeah, for years! You really don’t pay attention to me do you? Pfft, typical. Pink fender - played half my gigs on it for the last ten years…”

”er…”

It wouldn’t work in this house.

Funnily enough, she wouldn’t allow me to have my kingbass on show.

”that thing, looks like a coffee table with bike parts stuck on. And where’s the head?!”

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Funnily enough, she wouldn’t allow me to have my kingbass on show.

”that thing, looks like a coffee table with bike parts stuck on. And where’s the head?!”

Heh heh nice one Centurion 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

Just keep buying, selling & trading gradually over a long period of time until you have a large number in hard & soft cases which can easily be added to or swapped without them ever noticing.

I'm up to 75 basses and 10 guitards. Once I got past about 40 she didn't notice anymore... ;) 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, cetera said:

Just keep buying, selling & trading gradually over a long period of time until you have a large number in hard & soft cases which can easily be added to or swapped without them ever noticing.

I'm up to 75 basses and 10 guitards. Once I got past about 40 she didn't notice anymore... ;) 😂

I'm up to 10 basses and 2 guitars and I feel dirty!

• Haha 1

On 08/01/2022 at 18:43, thebrig said:

I'm also one of the lucky ones, my missus gets quite upset when I sell a bass, and she doesn't mind me buying a bass, she thinks they look nice hanging on the wall around the house.

She appreciates that most will sell for what I paid for them if I purchased them second hand, and even if I have owned a hundred basses over the years, when it comes to retiring from playing, or worse, then what basses remain can be sold on, so its possible to own, and play, loads of basses in your lifetime for virtually no cost at all.

I'm lucky like that too, although it has to be said that my Mrs hobby, horses, is a whole lot more expensive than anythig I've ever come up with. We recently had a vets bill which would have covered the cost of my Musicman Stingray and Eden WT800 and 2x12 cab with a whole lot to spare. In effect I'm permanently in credit although also permanently skint too.

13 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I'm lucky like that too, although it has to be said that my Mrs hobby, horses, is a whole lot more expensive than anythig I've ever come up with. We recently had a vets bill which would have covered the cost of my Musicman Stingray and Eden WT800 and 2x12 cab with a whole lot to spare. In effect I'm permanently in credit although also permanently skint too.

Moi aussi… sadly my girls also like ponies so that one won’t wash 

51 minutes ago, cetera said:

Holy freaking smoke 

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2022 at 14:16, Quatschmacher said:

Is that what cross-sticking is then?

On 09/01/2022 at 14:07, Old Horse Murphy said:

One of my bands a number of years ago folded as the guitarist moved away. The drummer however, kept going to rehearsals until his wife found messages on his phone. He was doing a very different sort of pounding....

Hope it wasn't a rim shot lol

• Haha 1