Why become a member? ×

How do I tell my wife I just bought another bass?

Rayman

I spent some time convincing my wife that the new packages that would arrive at our door were, in fact, "new cases for some of my old basses that are presently stored in gig-bags". One time she asked me - with a smile on her face - what colour the lining of the new case was!! When I showed her, I was almost as surprised as she was that the supplier had forgotten to take out the instrument that had obviously been used to display the case lining In the store!

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Rich said:

A drummer mate of mine once managed to introduce an entire new range-topping Yamaha kit to the house by simply ensuring it was the same colour as his existing one. 

A bloke on TB mentioned that restricting himself solely to 3TSB had proved a useful tactic over the years

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

I'll say 'I might have bought a new bass' and Mrs S will say 'That's nice' or 'Good' and carry on doing whatever she was doing. 

If I say 'I'll sell one of the others' she usually says 'Don't - you know you regret selling them'.

I am a lucky chap. 

I won't say 'she's a keeper' because

a/ we've already been together for 37 years and

b/ the way threads seem to be going recently someone will no doubt feel offended by such misogyny :) 

Keeper… there you go. You didn’t say, I did 

• Haha 3

Assuming you already have other basses and that you can get the new one into the house unseen, then I’m a big fan of the hidden in plain sight trick (think of the scene in ET where he’s hiding in the closet amongst all the kids other toys when the mum looks in 😉).

If an extra bass appearing is too obvious then use the ‘Colditz ghost prisoner’ technique where an existing bass is hidden away, say in a previously empty case (this works best if it’s the same colour). Then look for an opportunity to introduce the extra bass, for example when the wife has bought something extravagant. My wife’s penchant for expensive handbags provides me with good opportunities for this. When she says “what have you been buying now”, I just say “a new handbag dear”. Checkmate. 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Fixed 

I’m actually seriously impressed that she knows that. 

She knows the difference between bb1100, 1600, 414, 424, 1300, 300, 350, 450…

She has “favourites” I’ve owned. She adored a bass I had (even though I didn’t) and says I’m to buy it back if it resurfaces.

She’s an absolute diamond - and about 7/8 years ago, actively stopped me giving up playing by booking a rehearsal space and contacting all of my musician friends to start a band, she was adamant I wasn’t giving up on a passion…

She pushes me all the time.

• Like 13

My Mrs has sets and props from 3 of her theatre shows in the house, so I think she's far ahead of me in the amount of space our artistic endeavours take up. Having said that, last time I sold a bass she told me I'd regret it. She was right.

A mate has a good approach to this particular problem though. He just bought more cases than he had guitars and slowly filled them up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m another lucky one, Mrs Mert has two horses to worry about. If I spent as much as she does every month we would of course be utterly flipped but if I (slightly more than occasionally) fail in my quest to complete a year in the Basschat Gear Abstinence Challenge she doesn’t bat an eyelid.

I live in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, and drove over to Brum a couple of weeks ago and spent more than a few hours in PMT and GuitarGuitar, when I got home later that day, my wife asked what I had bought, when I said "nothing", she didn't believe me, I couldn't help laughing which made her disbelieve me even more, but it was true, I actually came home with NOTHING, and she actually seemed genuinely disappointed that I came home empty handed, but as I said in an earlier post, I usually buy second-hand because if the bass is not for me, then I move it on for around what I paid for it.

That's why our marketplace is great for moving gear around, and trying gear out, because what might not be right for me, might be perfect for someone else, and we all end up happy until the bout of GAS kicks in.

• Like 2

Mine does get a little weary of my apparent eternal dissatisfaction, but knows I won't break the bank with my whims. There's an informal agreement that the rack (7 spaces) cant be overfull unless something's in there's for sale. I think that's a good thing as I probably wouldn't ever stop otherwise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I wonder if there are a bunch of women somewhere talking about expensive purchases, and one is saying, I just wait until he buys another sodding bass — he's so worried I'll flip that he doesn't notice the new etc etc

My wife does this via WhatsApp 

I wonder if there are a bunch of women somewhere talking about expensive purchases, and one is saying, I just wait until he buys another sodding bass — he's so worried I'll flip that he doesn't notice the new etc etc

Handbag, pony, bodycon dress…

Totally agree! bless them, but at least we can usually recoup some or all of our outlay 😉

Thankfully I don't seem to have this issue and we accept each other's hobbies. I think my bass collection is complete with the addition of the shorty from Jabba. Harmonicas on the other hand are bloody limitless once you get into them - different types then all the different tunings (especially the diatonics) but she's very understanding and knowledgeable on music stuff. I was trying to work out a tune yesterday "That's in Eb, and you'll need a chromatic. Do you have an Eb chromatic?". I suspect Eb chromatics are like hobbyhorse poo.

On the other hand I have no problems with the daily parcels of posh cosmetics and the mind boggling collection of top end colouring pencils in a truly staggering range of (apparently different) shades.

Edited by dave moffat
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

She’s an absolute diamond - and about 7/8 years ago, actively stopped me giving up playing by booking a rehearsal space and contacting all of my musician friends to start a band, she was adamant I wasn’t giving up on a passion…

She pushes me all the time.

You need to be careful, I knew a trumpet player that started playing in a band again after a long break, His wife suspected he was having an affair, so removed the mouthpiece from his instrument case. He continued going to band practice every week until she confronted him some weeks later :angry2:  

48 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

You need to be careful, I knew a trumpet player that started playing in a band again after a long break, His wife suspected he was having an affair, so removed the mouthpiece from his instrument case. He continued going to band practice every week until she confronted him some weeks later :angry2:  

One of my bands a number of years ago folded as the guitarist moved away. The drummer however, kept going to rehearsals until his wife found messages on his phone. He was doing a very different sort of pounding....

7 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

One of my bands a number of years ago folded as the guitarist moved away. The drummer however, kept going to rehearsals until his wife found messages on his phone. He was doing a very different sort of pounding....

Is that what cross-sticking is then?

• Haha 1