Why become a member? ×

How do I tell my wife I just bought another bass?

Rayman

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Use the shite sandwich approach:

You’re looking great tonight (good)

I bought a new bass today (bad)

You deserve a night out, beautiful (good)

That works for me.

I've "volunteered" to take my wife to a very expensive restaurant because I played on New Year's Eve!!

Just slip it into an old case she’s seen before and make a point of getting it out while she’s there, if she notices that it’s different just give her a look like she’s mad, shake your head and laugh as you walk off clutching your old/new bass. 
If she doesn’t notice the difference and ignores it then still laugh as you walk off clutching your new/old bass but do it in your mind… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Clarky said:

A * friend * had some success with telling his wife that he had lent the bass in question to a fellow bass player and that he had just returned it after a lengthy period. Cough

I've used this one many, many times. Either that or a friend of mine has lent me a bass for a long long time. 

I'm afraid to say, as stooges I've often used @obbm @Clarky@Linus27

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Haha 3

To be honest, if you have so few basses that your partner is able to notice that you've got another one then you haven't got enought basses in the first place. You only have yourself to blame.

• Like 6
  • Haha 27

Tell her that the BBC were auctioning off bits of the old set from "Play Your Cards Right", and that it was a "Brucie Bonus" that was never awarded, and was just collecting dust.

It might be prudent to go for "The Big Lie" on this one. Something so absurd, you couldn't make it up.

I'll say 'I might have bought a new bass' and Mrs S will say 'That's nice' or 'Good' and carry on doing whatever she was doing. 

If I say 'I'll sell one of the others' she usually says 'Don't - you know you regret selling them'.

I am a lucky chap. 

I won't say 'she's a keeper' because

a/ we've already been together for 37 years and

b/ the way threads seem to be going recently someone will no doubt feel offended by such misogyny :) 

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I'll say 'I might have bought a new bass' and Mrs S will say 'That's nice' or 'Good' and carry on doing whatever she was doing. 

If I say 'I'll sell one of the others' she usually says 'Don't - you know you regret selling them'.

I am a lucky chap. 

I won't say 'she's a keeper' because

a/ we've already been together for 37 years and

b/ the way threads seem to be going recently someone will no doubt feel offended by such misogyny :) 

Yes you are indeed lucky. 

I had a mate I use to go drinking with and she use to wave him off with a shout of "make sure you drink enough" 

• Like 1

I've had success from

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

A drummer mate of mine once managed to introduce an entire new range-topping Yamaha kit to the house by simply ensuring it was the same colour as his existing one. 

I have had success from this MO.  Also, oddly, by simply involving her in the decision with a rational and long winded explanation of why I need it. What doesn't work is a bass or sax shaped parcel turning up unexpectedly. 

• Like 2

I'm also one of the lucky ones, my missus gets quite upset when I sell a bass, and she doesn't mind me buying a bass, she thinks they look nice hanging on the wall around the house.

She appreciates that most will sell for what I paid for them if I purchased them second hand, and even if I have owned a hundred basses over the years, when it comes to retiring from playing, or worse, then what basses remain can be sold on, so its possible to own, and play, loads of basses in your lifetime for virtually no cost at all.

• Like 3

I worked hard all my life and I reached the stage in my life when I can afford and buy things I need, not things I want. Regardles, I'm being reasonable. Although I'd like or want a particular bass, but don't need it as other basses can do the same thing.

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I'm also one of the lucky ones, my missus gets quite upset when I sell a bass, and she doesn't mind me buying a bass, she thinks they look nice hanging on the wall around the house.

She appreciates that most will sell for what I paid for them if I purchased them second hand, and even if I have owned a hundred basses over the years, when it comes to retiring from playing, or worse, then what basses remain can be sold on, so its possible to own, and play, loads of basses in your lifetime for virtually no cost at all.

Exactly. My ex husband was always trading guitars in and out to keep up with which ever tribute band he was in at the time, and usually grabbing good deals online for other gear as needed, Overall, it kept his budget balanced over the years. His biggest problem was cramming it all into his studio room. I used to make him empty it all out once a year so he could get in there and CLEAN it.

• Like 4