Why become a member? ×

Helix Power Hack

stewblack

Quite a lot of angst online about the power supply for my HX FX. And it is awful. Ungainly, awkward on some extension leads, prone to fall apart and the socket in the unit doesn't accept the 'normal' 9v plugs.

I have a simple solution. This

IMG_20220108_151837.thumb.jpg.85d2573a62a711aff9262e16d5fdc993.jpg

is what you want.

I use a Diago power supply which delivers 3 amps. It runs HX FX, three stomp boxes, and a TC Electronic Plethora. 

• Like 1

How often have you used the alternative power supply? I've used an alternative with no issues.

Does the HX FX work with the Diago PSU still? Could the Line 6 PSU be faulty? Or have slipped slightly out of the plug adaptor?

Edited by tauzero

48 minutes ago, tauzero said:

How often have you used the alternative power supply? I've used an alternative with no issues.

Does the HX FX work with the Diago PSU still? Could the Line 6 PSU be faulty? Or have slipped slightly out of the plug adaptor?

The unit doesn't work with either. I've measured the Helix supply with a meter and it's fine 

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

The unit doesn't work with either. I've measured the Helix supply with a meter and it's fine 

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I would say that it isn't the plug, I used mine with a plug like that for a while (I only stopped when I went back to the original plug as it stuck out too much).

It is odd that it worked fine then today is dead, but the non Line 6  PSU was the only thing I did. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, stewblack said:

It is odd that it worked fine then today is dead, but the non Line 6  PSU was the only thing I did. 🤷‍♂️

It is odd, but it doesn't rule out a coincidence. I ran mine on a different power supply for quite a while, but the one I had overheated after 3 hours so I went back to the original. Hx is still going fine. If it worked with that plug once, then it wasn't probably that plug.

Obviously that doesn't help you much. I always panic when I turn my HX on and fails to boot (which is not uncommon).

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It is odd, but it doesn't rule out a coincidence. I ran mine on a different power supply for quite a while, but the one I had overheated after 3 hours so I went back to the original. Hx is still going fine. If it worked with that plug once, then it wasn't probably that plug.

Obviously that doesn't help you much. I always panic when I turn my HX on and fails to boot (which is not uncommon).

I live by a program which teaches acceptance and learning. So I will look on the bright side and try to see this as an opportunity to buy more pedals 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Perhaps all isn't lost, if it had the correct voltage and polarity then I don't think power supply shoud damage it. Perhaps something has come loose inside and it's just by chance you've used different power supplies. And if it's still in manufacturers warrenty how are they to know you used a different power supply? I imagine some manufacturers find it easier to just replace a unit rather than mucking about trying to fix it.

• Thanks 1