Why become a member? ×

First book

Dave_1

Afternoon all

Hope all is well. having taken the jump into my first bass. Could anyone recommend a good first book. Preferably tab. Just To get me started. I know there are online illustrations. But I do prefer a book. 
I know I will get a few recommendations. But an easy book to learn my way around the fretboard and maybe string a   Basic tune together ? 

many thanks

Dave 

As above, Stuart Clayton's books are great. His reading music books really helped me. 

As an all rounder though, Bass Guitar for Dummies us a great resource. Styles, techniques, the function of the bass, theory, building bass lines and lots of play along examples, all in a simple, clear presentation.

As far as I'm concerned, the best beginner book is the Hal Leonard Bass Method, Complete Edition by Ed Friedland. I've used it with loads of students as it goes from absolute basics up to some cool slap and 16th note stuff.

There is a section on tab but for the most part it's all notation, and teaches you to read as you go along (which is a very good thing).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Bass Guitar for Dummies us a great resource. 

Another vote for the "Dummies" book. It is especially good for someone starting from ground zero.

May I offer another piece of advice ? Don't get too hung up on tab. Instead train your ear by playing along to songs and working things out by trial and error. It will pay dividends in the long run.

Good luck on your journey. 🙂

Thanks all. I’ve ordered stuart Clayton’s. And dummies. I’m getting on ok with it. Have a few songs under my belt. 
21 years ago I stopped guitar and drums. So really sort of starting again. Never been as excited before as I am with the bass. Love it !  Thanks for everyone’s advice 

Dave