Why become a member? ×

Enfield basses to end production

Chris2112

It may be of interest to some to learn that Martin Sims announced via Facebook this morning that once the order book for Enfield basses is complete, production will cease. 

Martin notes in his post that he has been splitting his time between his home and business workshops and has decided to simply things and concentrate on his LED work and Super Quad pickup production. To this end, it looks as though Enfield basses and the paint side of things will be mothballed. 

Whilst I do not begrudge a man taking the best route for an easy and manageable work schedule, I am slightly disappointed to see a really nice range of basses going out of production. I expect that I will still own one at some point, albeit as a used buy!

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

Damn shame - always to sorry to see any examples of top-end British craftsmanship coming to a close. 😢

I so nearly pulled the trigger on a beautiful Enfield Cannon that was FS on here a few years ago - the one with the 2TSB figured sycamore top / translucent blue body.   But it was just to similar to my Wal, which I think was part of the problem; the Sims pickups and electronics are quite amazing (albeit with far more tonal switching options than any of us would probably ever need), but the Instrument designs were maybe just a tad too safe and derivative.

Edited by Shaggy

I saw this announcement over the weekend. It does seem a shame, any good UK-based craftsmen shutting down production, for whatever reason, is a big shame a loss to us here on these isles. 

As with other posters, I always felt like the Super Quads were the least attractive part of the package. I much preferred the look of the old Enfield basses where Martin was making what was effectively a single giant ramp cut from the top wood, with the pickup pole pieces exposed on the ramp. That's purely an aesthetic consideration, of course, but I wasn't such a fan of the giant black square looks of the Super Quads. I was also never totally blown away by the sound, but did love many other things about the basses so had considered asking whether they might have been open to building a bass with other pickups of my choice.

Alas, it looks like that custom build will never come to be. To be fair, I have been lusting more and more for a Sei bass and if I were to commission a custom build, it would likely be from them or an ACG as I love their modern styling and sounds. Perhaps however, I lack the patience for a custom build, as every time I want a bass I end up buying one quite quickly. If I placed an order for a bass with 6, 12 or 18 month waiting time, I'd probably want something different by the time it was delivered.

Still, good luck to Martin. He obviously knows what pays the bills and offers the best balance of stress, workload and income. There comes a point in all of our lives where we may want to consider paring back our responsibilities, freeing our time and if we're lucky, not losing out substantially on income, or even possibly increasing our income. I wish Martin all the best with the pickup and LED business, I'm sure he won't be short of work.

Edited by Mastodon2
  • Like 4

Y'see, I'm the opposite; I've always wanted to try those Quad pickups, but the big fat a$$  on the bass makes them an immediate No, Ta from me...

Still, as has been said, it's always a shame to see a UK luthier with obviously top quality output cease production...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

Stunning instruments. Do you still own the Enfield? 

Unfortunately due to spine opp's all basses over 7lb were sold it is now with a collector in Sydney who also has the Nathan Sheppard  

On 07/01/2022 at 21:13, Chris2112 said:

It's not the same for me (the pickups are probably my least favourite part, if they're the Super Quads, I'd prefer EMG). I mean, just look at the elegance of this, for example. Stunning...

wiTRrIU.jpeg

I've always felt that the bottom bout is too big compared to the rest of the body. It looks like it's got a fat lip. Once you can see it, you can't unsee it.

There's no denying that the electrickery is very clever and I'd gladly use it myself... in a different body shape :D 

• Like 1

I’m really surprised the paint shop would be closing. A real shame. I kind of get why production may halt, especially under the current world circumstances, but it is pity to hear that a British manufacturer is stopping production. Good luck to him, always. A top company ☺️

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 1