Why become a member? ×

Playing in more than one band?

dclaassen

I have noticed that some of you fine folks are members of more than one group. When I last was actively gigging, you joined a band and played with them almost exclusively, unless you managed to sub with someone when your band was not booked. It was considered bad form to try to be a full-time member of more than one band. Please understand, I am coming from a Midwestern US perspective.

So, how does it work to be with more than one group? How do you handle gig/rehearsal conflicts. Are you up front with everyone, or is it usually just left to you to work out the logistics?

I’m managing to be in three groups. A standard pub covers band, an originals-only punk/indie band and an acoustic blues/Americana trio. The covers band is the most busy gig-wise the other two much less so. For me, the key is up-front and honest communication. Plus compromise where needed. At any kind of audition I’ll always say I play in other bands. Having to be exclusive to one band would be a deal breaker for me. I’ve never wanted to play at the level where exclusivity to one band is necessary. I can honestly say that I’ve never had a clash of commitments that couldn’t be managed. If there ever was I’d probably follow the money.

Most weeks I manage to get some kind of session with each band - a rehearsal or song writing session depending on the band. Perhaps plus a gig, so I’m often out playing four nights a week. However, I only work part-time on anything else, my children have grown up and left home and my wife is happy off doing her own things. So, I have no domestic or job conflicts.

I think that being in more than one band makes me a better musician. Plus I think I’d get bored playing the same genre of music all the time.

Your background situation may be vastly different to mine but I hope the above helps.

I'm actively playing with four (soon to be five) bands, although two of them involve the same singer/geetard; one's the main pub/function/wedding band, the other's a very occasional originals band. Then there's another, revived-from-30-years-ago originals band, which is also very occasional (no gigs on the horizon, but if a festival calls, we'll play it, sort of thing). There's a Rawk band which plays pubs maybe half a dozen times a year, and is mainly for the nostalgia of the music. The new band will be a busier pub band, to take up the slack from the lack of gigs of the main band (the singer/geetard is doing a lot of solo stuff these days)...it's these last two which will produce gig conflicts, which I'll have to manage.

All the bands know I'm in the other bands, and I have a Google Calendar just for gigs. They're all pro-minded people, so no-one's taken any sort of offence. So far, no issues...I'd rather juggle a calendar than sit at home twiddling my thumbs of a weekend when I could be out earning money...

We don't rehearse with the main band (been together too long to bother now, plus we have a very very good reading drummer), the originals bands we only rehearse if there's a show booked (i.e. very occasionally), the Rawk band are a little more rehearsal-focused (but I'm trying to wean them off that particular crutch), and the new band I'm braced for a few rehearsals. I've been doing this too long to be a fan of lots of rehearsals...

The biggest issue, tho, is keeping hundreds of songs* in my head at the same time...

* The main band songbook is 150 or so, of which I could get a 50-song setlist at any time, the originals bands 30 or 40 each, the Rawk band the same, and the new band I'm expecting a few more...very little overlap, to be honest...

• Like 1

I'm in a (broadly) similar situation to @Len_derby.

At any given moment, I am usually playing in two front-line gigging bands plus a variety of side projects (some of which lead to gigs and some of which crash & burn).

For me this is easy because the only thing that can cause trouble is direct clashes and, since @Silvia Bluejay and I get ALL the gigs for BOTH main bands, the only diaries we need to manage are our own.

I never play in two bands who do the same sort of stuff and who could therefore be seen to be 'in competition' with each other, like Len I'm always completely up-front when I first meet potential new bandmates, and above all I run my diary on the basis of 'first in the diary gets it'. I have no interest at all in which gig pays more money or might be more fun ... if I'm booked then I'm booked and I turn down any other offers.

All my bandmates in all my bands know the position (I try to be genuinely open and transparent on all this) and it virtually never leads to friction.

Len,

It does help, very much..thanks! The group I am currently playing with has not gigged and practices about twice a month. I am not sure where they are headed as I am new to the UK gigging scene and so want to keep a lower profile. 

I am looking forward to retirement in about 2 years or so, then will want to play a bit more, I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'm actively playing with four (soon to be five) bands, although two of them involve the same singer/geetard; one's the main pub/function/wedding band, the other's a very occasional originals band. Then there's another, revived-from-30-years-ago originals band, which is also very occasional (no gigs on the horizon, but if a festival calls, we'll play it, sort of thing). There's a Rawk band which plays pubs maybe half a dozen times a year, and is mainly for the nostalgia of the music. The new band will be a busier pub band, to take up the slack from the lack of gigs of the main band (the singer/geetard is doing a lot of solo stuff these days)...it's these last two which will produce gig conflicts, which I'll have to manage.

All the bands know I'm in the other bands, and I have a Google Calendar just for gigs. They're all pro-minded people, so no-one's taken any sort of offence. So far, no issues...I'd rather juggle a calendar than sit at home twiddling my thumbs of a weekend when I could be out earning money...

We don't rehearse with the main band (been together too long to bother now, plus we have a very very good reading drummer), the originals bands we only rehearse if there's a show booked (i.e. very occasionally), the Rawk band are a little more rehearsal-focused (but I'm trying to wean them off that particular crutch), and the new band I'm braced for a few rehearsals. I've been doing this too long to be a fan of lots of rehearsals...

The biggest issue, tho, is keeping hundreds of songs* in my head at the same time...

* The main band songbook is 150 or so, of which I could get a 50-song setlist at any time, the originals bands 30 or 40 each, the Rawk band the same, and the new band I'm expecting a few more...very little overlap, to be honest...

When I was gigging every weekend, we almost never practiced. I also used to sub a lot, because of my exposure to a lot of different types of music, and ability to read. I don't want to play a lot right now, as we have other interests as well, but would not mind doing more than I currently am. 

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm in a (broadly) similar situation to @Len_derby.

At any given moment, I am usually playing in two front-line gigging bands plus a variety of side projects (some of which lead to gigs and some of which crash & burn).

For me this is easy because the only thing that can cause trouble is direct clashes and, since @Silvia Bluejay and I get ALL the gigs for BOTH main bands, the only diaries we need to manage are our own.

I never play in two bands who do the same sort of stuff and who could therefore be seen to be 'in competition' with each other, like Len I'm always completely up-front when I first meet potential new bandmates, and above all I run my diary on the basis of 'first in the diary gets it'. I have no interest at all in which gig pays more money or might be more fun ... if I'm booked then I'm booked and I turn down any other offers.

All my bandmates in all my bands know the position (I try to be genuinely open and transparent on all this) and it virtually never leads to friction.

This sounds good. In my past experience, we have a dozen or so bands all doing roughly the same thing. Playing in two bands at the same time was not seen as "cool" at all. I think I would love to sub some, and also play a bit of different music...

Yup, I like the buzz of playing something new for the first time - the non-rehearsing band is a trio, and the other two are better musicians than me, so it's always a challenge. It's made me a much better bassist than all those interminable rehearsals with nit-picking numpties... 🙂

I pick up gigs wherever and whenever I can; the main band used to be out every weekend, and apart from the fun (which can be variable; we did 40+ weddings one year, and there's only so many vol-au-vents a man can eat), you get used to the money...well, I did...

2 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I think I would love to sub some, and also play a bit of different music...

My two main bands are a 60s/70s covers band (Beatles & Stones, Kinks & The Who, T.Rex & Bowie, Status Quo & Clash) and a full-on rock'n'roll / rockabilly outfit.

Current side projects include classic 60s soul, modern retro-originals, obscure Americana. Past side-projects have included steampunk folk, mournful singer-songwriter, diva torch singer, late 60s power trio ... you get the picture. 😎

It's a barrel of laughs, it never gets boring, it keeps me young. What's not to like?

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yup, I like the buzz of playing something new for the first time - the non-rehearsing band is a trio, and the other two are better musicians than me, so it's always a challenge. It's made me a much better bassist than all those interminable rehearsals with nit-picking numpties... 🙂

I pick up gigs wherever and whenever I can; the main band used to be out every weekend, and apart from the fun (which can be variable; we did 40+ weddings one year, and there's only so many vol-au-vents a man can eat), you get used to the money...well, I did...

I used to make more on the weekends than I did on my "day job". ....not really interested in playing quite that much right now. To be honest, I'd be happy playing or practicing once a week, and getting my name out there. I've played country, country rock, 60's-90's rock, big band swing, modern jazz (not my fav), blues, etc.....

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

My two main bands are a 60s/70s covers band (Beatles & Stones, Kinks & The Who, T.Rex & Bowie, Status Quo & Clash) and a full-on rock'n'roll / rockabilly outfit.

Current side projects include classic 60s soul, modern retro-originals, obscure Americana. Past side-projects have included steampunk folk, mournful singer-songwriter, diva torch singer, late 60s power trio ... you get the picture. 😎

It's a barrel of laughs, it never gets boring, it keeps me young. What's not to like?

Sounds like a blast! I think my favorite right now would be a southern rock/rockabilly band. I could play Skynard all night if someone would pay me....

I'm in two bands with the same drummer.  I think it helps that one of them is an originals band and the other is a covers band so they operate in different spheres, different venues and occupy different spaces in my head.  Also the covers band gigs more frequently than the originals band.

You have to be upfront about it, I think that's the only way it'll work.  If not then a clash will occur at some point.  Everyone's aware of the situation.  The covers band even let the originals band borrow the PA for the odd occasions that they're not playing a venue with house PA/backline.  Everything is open and honest.

As far as the logistics go, both bands have google calendars and I cross post between both calendars when either band has a gig so availability is clear.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I could play Skynard all night if someone would pay me....

That Fenderbird (well, technically a Shukerbird) has been waiting a long time for that sort of gig. It gets used in the Rawk band, but some Skynyrd would be nice... 🙂431736080_2basses.jpg.c0da5fde8fda24af3e966a6a48627f8c.jpg

I’m in two bands, one which doesn’t gig cos all we do is rehearse once a fortnight (haven’t even got a singer) and the other band maybe gigs 10/15 times a year, and only rehearses for new material or when necessary.
Much more easy to deal with than my last band which both rehearsed and gigged pretty much every week, with the gigs being very far-flung.

53 minutes ago, Muzz said:

That Fenderbird (well, technically a Shukerbird) has been waiting a long time for that sort of gig. It gets used in the Rawk band, but some Skynyrd would be nice... 🙂431736080_2basses.jpg.c0da5fde8fda24af3e966a6a48627f8c.jpg

I had an RD artist for that kind of thing....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m in two bands, one which doesn’t gig cos all we do is rehearse once a fortnight (haven’t even got a singer) and the other band maybe gigs 10/15 times a year, and only rehearses for new material or when necessary.
Much more easy to deal with than my last band which both rehearsed and gigged pretty much every week, with the gigs being very far-flung.

I would not like to travel that much at this point.....used to do one-night stands 200 miles away..not fun!

4 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I am coming from a Midwestern US perspective.

So, how does it work to be with more than one group? How do you handle gig/rehearsal conflicts. Are you up front with everyone, or is it usually just left to you to work out the logistics?

It's not just a US thing. Some band leaders can be control freaks, it's best not to play in a band that requires you to be attached to that one band. Especially as someone like that will eventually decide that it's one rule for you and a different one for them.

Depends how often you're rehearsing. If there's only one day a week that all the members in one band can get together regularly then that leaves 3 days to rehearse with other bands. 

If you're not rehearsing then the gig schedules of all the bands you're in will dictate if it's practical. 

If you're having to get deps in to regularly cover you, then you'd have to ask why you're in more than one band. 

The best alternative is to be in one band and dep for a few others. 

It's key to be upfront though and make a statement either one band gets priority over the others, which may mean letting people down after you've said you can do a gig. That's a bad thing. Or first come first served. Which can cause problems when you're not available to play in the band that depends on last minute bookings.

It works when bands are not giging very often, but gets complicated if all the bands start getting very busy. It'll also cause grief if you're out gigging while one band is stuck at home and not gigging because their bass player is out with a different band. 

Oh, and I forgot another big thing in the Plus category for more than one band; the more people you play with (as long as they're not idiots), the better you get... 🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

Actually, I should qualify that; even the idiots have lessons to teach: 'Don't bring a double-kick kit with 17 cymbals, 8 rototoms and your bloody gong to the Dog & Duck on a Wednesday night' being a particularly valuable drummer-supplied one...

Edit: that's the lesson that's valuable, not the drummer. He was an industrial-grade pillock...

Edited by Muzz