Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

36 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d forgotten about Skidmarks and Spencer’s by Trigger McPoopshute, brings back fond memories of gigging with them

Never any other sort of memory after gigging with Sutton & Co, top men. He could have been a comedian.

I've seen the Macc lads live a couple of times, I don't find their humour offensive - it's like listening to Viz characters. Clearly it's a joke. 

Unfortunately, the crowd in both occasions included quite a few people too dim to realise it's a joke taking the fosters out of people like them. Typical uniforms of cherry red DMs and green bomber jackets and an air of menace rather than fun, saw a bloke who was about 60 get punched to the ground.

On 07/01/2022 at 22:46, Count Bassy said:

Is it relevant? We shouldn't be classifying people by their gender, colour or sexuality anyway should we? Far better to classify them by whether they're nice, decent, people, or not.

Those 5 string players are weird though, am I right?

:D

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Peloquin said:

How about Eddie stinky poo?

Poohemian Crapsodie

Eye of the Needle

Up that Girl

She Loves Poo

Etc...

He was the cause of my first ever case of piles! I’m not even joking!

He was supposed to be supporting the Macc Lads when I saw them, but he never turned up. I sat on that cold, hard Wulfrun Hall floor for two and a half hours before the Macc Lads finally got on stage!

i was really looking forward to him, too, because he had songs on early Macc Lads demos/EPs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I've seen the Macc lads live a couple of times, I don't find their humour offensive - it's like listening to Viz characters. Clearly it's a joke. 

Unfortunately, the crowd in both occasions included quite a few people too dim to realise it's a joke taking the fosters out of people like them. Typical uniforms of cherry red DMs and green bomber jackets and an air of menace rather than fun, saw a bloke who was about 60 get punched to the ground.

When I saw them the crowd were ok. My wife and I went to a pub near to the venue before the gig and it was full of people also waiting for the same gig. The whole place had a fun vibe and there was a great Macc Lads singalong. My wife got serenaded with Julie The Schoolie (despite being 26) every time she went to the bar or the bog, which she though was hilarious.

The walk from the pub to the venue was both surreal and menacing, but had nothing to do with the Macc Lads crowd.

What I didn’t like was all the snot. We stood right at the back because the air, for three feet above the audience, was solid with spit. It was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen! One particularly large loogy landed on Muttley’s t-shirt and one of the guitarists (I can’t remember who) sucked it off… I nearly threw up! It was then that I understood the reference to Muttley looking like a Christmas tree on the Live At Leeds (The Who?) album.

• Like 2

Rockbitch were a quality band, I wouldn't lump them in with bands that set out to be offensive at all as they never did it to create a reaction or to get noticed. IMO they'd have been far more successful and would have had a decent chance of breaking through if they'd have ditched the stage show, it was part of who they are and their ethos as a band though. Their drummer died not so long ago I think.

Never like thinking about that band tbh as it just makes me GAS for a fretless original Steinberger which is something I really can't justify!

5 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I've seen Rockbitch live a couple of times. All I'll say is, had they been a 'dance music' type band (Dancebitch?), I would not have gone.

So you went for the music rather than the sexual politics/titillation (delete as appropriate). I think what I am trying to say is what is deemed offensive is arbitrary. If it was left to the likes of the Mary Whitehouse brigade the world would be a different place. Max Bigraves would top the charts and Turner and Constable would adorn the Art galleries whilst Dali was banned.

59 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

What I didn’t like was all the snot. We stood right at the back because the air, for three feet above the audience, was solid with spit. It was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen! One particularly large loogy landed on Muttley’s t-shirt and one of the guitarists (I can’t remember who) sucked it off… I nearly threw up! It was then that I understood the reference to Muttley looking like a Christmas tree on the Live At Leeds (The Who?) album.

Many years ago we went to see Hanoi Rocks play in a nightclub in Glasgow. Johnny Thunders was support and he was getting gobbed on so much he stopped the show and warned the crowd to stop it. I don't know if they did but he carried on and we stayed up the back. Absolute crass habit and one of the things I hated about punk.

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

That’s a good anology, Viz put to music.

I’m surprised at the air of menace tho, on the gigs we played with them there was more an air of fun & giggles.

Sadly there will always be one (or more) that thinks they’re hard, but I’d bet money on that happening more in regular town centre pubs with ‘regular’ guys than the skins. The only time I ever saw real bother at any of the Oi gigs was when the crowd ‘moved on’ idiot nazi types who - wrongly - thought they were amongst likeminded friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

If it was left to the likes of the Mary Whitehouse brigade the world would be a different place. Max Bigraves would top the charts and Turner and Constable would adorn the Art galleries whilst Dali was banned.

Indeed so. If those fuddy-duddy censors of yesteryear had triumphed we'd now be living in a bland world of inoffensiveness. Instead, Ed Sheeran tops the charts and Banksy rules the world of visual art.

What a long, strange journey it's been...

Edited by skankdelvar
paragraph spacing gone wonko

5 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Indeed so. If those fuddy-duddy censors of yesteryear had triumphed we'd now be living in a bland world of inoffensiveness. Instead, Ed Sheeran tops the charts and Banksy rules the world of visual art.

What a long, strange journey it's been...

The fuddy Duffy censors just restrict the choice. Sadly there is no arbiter for taste. If people reach for the Cheesestrings when there is Roquefort and aged cheddar on the platter then there must be a parable wrapped in an enigma somewhere to explain it. Maybe.

"I would defend their freedom of speech if I thought it was in jeopardy. I would defend their freedom of speech to tell uninspired, bigoted, blowjob, gay-bashing, racist and rape jokes all under the guise of being edgy, but that's not the edge. That's what sells. They couldn't possibly pander any harder or be more commercially mainstream, because this is the "Oh no, you didn't say that!" generation, where a shocking comment has more weight than the truth. No one has any shame anymore, and we're supposed to celebrate it. I saw a woman throw a used tampon at another woman last night on network television, a network that bills itself as "Today's Woman's Channel". Kids beat each other blind and post it on Youtube. I mean, do you remember when eating rats and maggots on Survivor was shocking? It all seems so quaint now. I'm sure the girls from "2 Girls 1 Cup" are gonna have their own dating show on VH-1 any day now. I mean, why have a civilization anymore if we no longer are interested in being civilized?"

God Bless America.

7 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Although as today stands he may not get away with this celebration of hetero-normality:

Indeed. Good find. And in 100 years time there may be a prevailing climate of hardline religious orthodoxy. History has a way of making us all look stupid/perverted/ignorant/arrogant/ridiculous.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

"I would defend their freedom of speech if I thought it was in jeopardy. I would defend their freedom of speech to tell uninspired, bigoted, blowjob, gay-bashing, racist and rape jokes all under the guise of being edgy, but that's not the edge. That's what sells. They couldn't possibly pander any harder or be more commercially mainstream, because this is the "Oh no, you didn't say that!" generation, where a shocking comment has more weight than the truth. No one has any shame anymore, and we're supposed to celebrate it. I saw a woman throw a used tampon at another woman last night on network television, a network that bills itself as "Today's Woman's Channel". Kids beat each other blind and post it on Youtube. I mean, do you remember when eating rats and maggots on Survivor was shocking? It all seems so quaint now. I'm sure the girls from "2 Girls 1 Cup" are gonna have their own dating show on VH-1 any day now. I mean, why have a civilization anymore if we no longer are interested in being civilized?"

God Bless America.

not sure why oral sex has been lumped in with examples of the decline of civilization?