Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

11 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

When people of African ancestry use that term it is not an ethnic slur. Obviously it has different connotations if a white guy said it, no matter how it's spelt or pronounced there is a metric ton of historical reasons why it is inappropriate.

Hopefully 2023 will be the year that the basschat dad brigade no longer need this explaining to them, I ain't counting on it but we can all live in hope.

But surely, the best way to stop it being used in a racial slur sense is for everybody to stop using it in any sense.

Very hard to say to someone that they shouldn't use it when others are using it openly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just out of curiosity…..and I have no preconceived ideas as to what the answer will be…..who on this thread isn’t a cis straight white man?

Si

Is it relevant? We shouldn't be classifying people by their gender, colour or sexuality anyway should we? Far better to classify them by whether they're nice, decent, people, or not.

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Is it relevant? We shouldn't be classifying people by their gender, colour or sexuality anyway should we? Far better to classify them by whether they're nice, decent, people, or not.

this. Some's bastards, some's aint.

43 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just out of curiosity…..and I have no preconceived ideas as to what the answer will be…..who on this thread isn’t a cis straight white man?

I thought we were all just Bass players 😂🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

But surely, the best way to stop it being used in a racial slur sense is for everybody to stop using it in any sense.

Very hard to say to someone that they shouldn't use it when others are using it openly.

Or just say nothing about it unless you are part of that community.

On 06/01/2022 at 21:33, PaulWarning said:

I think stuff is only offensive if you don't really agree with it, which is a personal thing, for instance some wouldn't find Boris Johnson is a f**cking C***t offensive and think it's funny because they don't like Boris Johnson or his politics, but if the lyric were Jeremy Corbyn is a Jew Hating C***t, they might find it offensive, or least not funny.

Yebbut the two aren't exactly comparable, as the Corbyn one is not just abuse but libellous. Change "Jew Hating" to "f*cking" and the two are equivalently abusive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Just curious, it’s often cis straight white men who have the “yeah I see nothing wrong with offending others, I think it’s funny” type ethos, as we have often never experienced any real discrimination.

While it’s a spectrum, and comedy will often ride the fringes (white men don’t have exclusive rights to offending people obviously), it’s a fine line between being able to laugh at ones archetypal beliefs and situations and experiencing straight-up racism/sexism/xxxxism ‘because it’s funny’ and ‘you just don’t get it’.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just curious, it’s often cis straight white men who have the “yeah I see nothing wrong with offending others, I think it’s funny” type ethos, as we have often never experienced any real discrimination.

While it’s a spectrum, and comedy will often ride the fringes (white men don’t have exclusive rights to offending people obviously), it’s a fine line between being able to laugh at ones archetypal beliefs and situations and experiencing straight-up racism/sexism/xxxxism ‘because it’s funny’ and ‘you just don’t get it’.

Si

What’s all this “cis” gender spectrum nonsense? We don’t all buy into labels and the societal construct of gender, which is built upon nothing more than restrictive stereotypes and tied into flawed ideological BS ideas about identity that are not rooted in biological truth or critical thinking.

Also, if anyone asks, my pronouns are Father Christmas/Your Majesty/I am not vain enough to dictate how people should refer to me in the third person when I am not present.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, lozkerr said:

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Skrewdriver yet...

Twenty years ago in Terrorizer magazine (a publication for metal that covered extreme/underground genres) there was a long running debate about the coverage of metal bands associated with any far right output. Every month on the Letters page, there were people writing in disagreeing with previous viewpoints in letters published the month before, and so on. It went on for some time, if I recall.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

What’s all this “cis” gender spectrum nonsense? We don’t all buy into labels and the societal construct of gender, which is built upon nothing more than restrictive stereotypes and tied into flawed ideological BS ideas about identity that are not rooted in biological truth or critical thinking.

Also, if anyone asks, my pronouns are Father Christmas/Your Majesty/I am not vain enough to dictate how people should refer to me in the third person when I am not present.

That’s your right to think that, and mine to think that you’re disrespectful and purposefully skewing the conversation because of your animosity towards non-binary people.

What you could have done was come in and state “I’m a woman, here’s my take on offense and misogynistic comedy/music/art”, but nope.

Si

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just popping my Marxist hat on for a moment but whilst the world is caught up in a tribal squabble over sexual, gender, racial and identity politics we forget that the common ground that unites us all is economic opportunity or lack of it. I once worked at a place where CV’s were routinely put in the bin based on the applicatants post codes. One of which was where I grew up. Lacking cultural capital is still sneered at by those that have a decent education and consider themselves “right on”. In short poverty is considered ugly. Financial poverty, poverty of opportunity etc.

I think many people experience discrimination on a daily basis from all ethnicities and genders. It’s just hidden and subtle. That’s where the real battle lies.

• Like 1

Just now, Sibob said:

That’s your right to think that, and mine to think that you’re disrespectful and purposefully skewing the conversation because of your animosity towards non-binary people.

What you could have done was come in and state “I’m a woman, here’s my take on offense and misogynistic comedy/music/art”, but nope.

Si

How can you be non-binary when the basis of non-binary depends on there being a binary in the first place?? You know, two immutable biological sexes.

I'm not getting into this again, don't worry.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

Just popping my Marxist hat on for a moment but whilst the world is caught up in a tribal squabble over sexual, gender, racial and identity politics we forget that the common ground that unites us all is economic opportunity or lack of it. I once worked at a place where CV’s were routinely put in the bin based on the applicatants post codes. One of which was where I grew up. Lacking cultural capital is still sneered at by those that have a decent education and consider themselves “right on”. In short poverty is considered ugly. Financial poverty, poverty of opportunity etc.

I think many people experience discrimination on a daily basis from all ethnicities and genders. It’s just hidden and subtle. That’s where the real battle lies.

Or CV's being binned because of the applicant's name. E.g. Barbie (poor girl). These days it'd be Chardonnay, I presume.

1 minute ago, DawnPatroller said:

Or CV's being binned because of the applicant's name. E.g. Barbie (poor girl). These days it'd be Chardonnay, I presume.

Yep that’s where the cultural capital comes in. I know many right on left wingers who are happy to mock the “chavs” and ridicule the “stupid”.

15 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

How can you be non-binary when the basis of non-binary depends on there being a binary in the first place?? You know, two immutable biological sexes.

I'm not getting into this again, don't worry.

Oh wow, equating sex with gender*…yeah we probably should leave it there.

Si

(*they’re very different things)

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3

There seems to be a current trend in Drill rap to talk about raping women and stabbing people. Im not sure what the difference is from these guys to NWA and other gangster rappers talking about shooting people and raping women. At least NWA did offensive well and used some great samples etc. These wxxkers seem to make their music on a Casio keyboard. Seems to me this is more of a society problem than a musical problem though.

Edited by bubinga5

45 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

There seems to be a current trend in Drill rap to talk about raping women and stabbing people. Im not sure what the difference is from these guys to NWA and other gangster rappers talking about shooting people and raping women. At least NWA did offensive well and used some great samples etc. These wxxkers seem to make their music on a Casio keyboard. Seems to me this is more of a society problem than a musical problem though.

Music aside, they should have spent a bit more on the video.