Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

I suppose being offensive is funny if you're not offended by it,  if no one was offended by it it wouldn't be funny

While I wouldn't say that this was universally true, I think it's unarguably the case that a lot of humour depends on the breaking or testing the limits of taboos of one kind or another.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

When people of African ancestry use that term it is not an ethnic slur.

I have met plenty people of African ancestry who still think it is a slur, regardless of who says it - and find people of African ancestry throwing it around as a casual term just as offensive as if a white person did it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huge Hands said:

I have met plenty people of African ancestry who still think it is a slur, regardless of who says it - and find people of African ancestry throwing it around as a casual term just as offensive as if a white person did it. 

Same, most people of African heritage over here that I know would never use it as it isn't part of their culture at all. For African Americans it's totally different so it's for them to decide really, internal discussion has been happening for decades now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I worked in Nigeria for five years and never heard them use that expression apart from the time at the airport when it was directed at me. It’s used exclusively by black rappers and Tarantino. 

• Like 2

As an example, I played a link from someone's post in Basschat a few years ago out loud in the office at work.  It was to Anderson.Paak's NPR Tiny Desk concert.

I won't repeat what he shouts repetitively at the start, but a black colleague got really upset and asked me to switch it off (which I did).

This started a discussion around how normalised the rap/music scene has made these words to the point where most of us (of various ethnicities) hadn't even registered or noticed the words being said.

I know he for one (of Jamaican and before that African descent) regularly pulls up younger people in the black community if he hears them using those kind of words.

...and he isn't my only example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I suppose being offensive is funny if you're not offended by it,  if no one was offended by it it wouldn't be funny

So the funny is that it denigrates, upsets and offends other people, am I getting that right?

6 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Sorry, but its still offensive, still harmful, and still homophobic.

I'm in a glass house on this one, as I grew up using gay as a pejorative word, and throwing around homophobic abuse excused as "banter".

But I was also in the closet, and deeply ashamed, and that kept me from being who I really was for the best part of 40 years.

Banter isn't an excuse, and just because you don't think anyone listening will be offended is not a good enough reason to espouse offensive views, even in jest.

Not when it's about punching down at marginalised groups.

In the social environment of the 80s when I was a teen, such language was not widely considered offensive like it is nowadays. I've never used such language as an adult and I don't like hearing it from others. Also I've never ever used racially offensive language, partly because I've been on the end of it. I'm of Italian and Austrian parentage so you might be able to guess the type of words directed at me...almost daily throughout my schooldays.

7 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

When people of African ancestry use that term it is not an ethnic slur. Obviously it has different connotations if a white guy said it,

a while back I mentioned on a forum on Facebook about the WW2 air war relating to the Dambusters. I mentioned Guy Gibson’s dog in a historical sense. I got a weeks ban. I didn’t mean that word in a racist term so what’s the difference? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

a while back I mentioned on a forum on Facebook about the WW2 air war relating to the Dambusters. I mentioned Guy Gibson’s dog in a historical sense. I got a weeks ban. I didn’t mean that word in a racist term so what’s the difference? 

Seriously if you are so desperate to use that word just put asterisks in place of a few letters. 

Facebook will detect certain words and auto ban, that way they can look like they're doing something to combat the far right stuff that's rife on there without actually spending any money or hiring new staff. You can appeal it but there's little point. 

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ubit said:

Your never going to win I'm afraid mate as people sadly twist what you say to suit themselves 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bassassin said:

So the funny is that it denigrates, upsets and offends other people, am I getting that right?

But if you insist that no comedy should ever upset or offend anyone, you are going to lose so much stuff, from Life of Brian to most modern stand-ups referencing sexual material, jokes about the Royal family, jokes against <insert political party / figure / philosophy here>, Dave Allen on religion, right down to the endless innuendos that form the basis of so much basschat 'humour'. We have social norms and taboos, and it has always been and will always be human nature to find humour in breaking them, and in mocking things we are "not supposed to" mock. Whether or not it crosses a line will always be a matter of judgement, and will depend on things like context and the nature of the audience.

Comedy has to go to the extremes of whatever subject its poking fun at. When you go to extremes someone will probably get offended. Does that mean comedy should be banned or does it mean people should get less up tight about things? 

There are some limits, racism and sexism and joking about disability for example. Most other things I think are fair game.

These days there are people getting offended because a politician they support is the subject of a joke and those people can f**k off. Same goes for people getting offended by jokes about class or religion.

When someone gets offended it's not always the fault of the person who made the joke, sometimes it's the person who took offence who is the problem. 

9 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

No, I do that because I now live openly as a queer and trans person, and I'm painfully conscious of the danger posed to myself and my peers by the real harm done by the language and conduct of others.

But is it any good for metal?

5 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Electric six gaybar caused a stir when it came out (no pun intended) but if I remember correctly it still got radio play or was it edited? 

It was on radio 1 all the time. Is there actually anything offensive about the lyrics? I don't remember it being homophobic

2 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

I think it was the line I got something to put in you at the gaybar gaybar 

That caused offence 

Is that any worse than Red Hot Chilli Peppers "What I've got you've got to get it put it in you" in Give It Away which was also on the radio all the time?