Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

3 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

the other side of the coin, this modern music is rubbish, starting to sound like my Dad

I am a dad and so it's a right of passage to declare modern music as rubbish. Actually, IMO the much better pop music is coming from women e.g. Sigrid's fantastic Sucker Punch album and Dua Lipa's excellent Future Nostalgia

29 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Similarly, when we we much younger me and my mates often jokingly referred to eachother as 'a big p**f', 'big girl's blouse' etc if we did something not quite acceptable to the group e.g. drinking coke instead of a beer while out on a session. No one was offended, it was typical banter. It would've been different if we'd addressed a total stranger the same way.

Sorry, but its still offensive, still harmful, and still homophobic.

I'm in a glass house on this one, as I grew up using gay as a pejorative word, and throwing around homophobic abuse excused as "banter".

But I was also in the closet, and deeply ashamed, and that kept me from being who I really was for the best part of 40 years.

Banter isn't an excuse, and just because you don't think anyone listening will be offended is not a good enough reason to espouse offensive views, even in jest.

Not when it's about punching down at marginalised groups.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

It's a shame about Ed and Blunty in that they seem to be really nice guys with their hearts in the right place but their music is pretty unlistenable for me. If someone is a total bell3nd, like the Gallagher brothers it's so easy to dislike their dreadful music.

Judging by his twitter I'd say James Blunt isn't a fan of his music either.

10.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just an observation, pretty much any time RGD is on TV, it's like a drinking game.  RGD says he's black (glug, glug, glug).  RGD says he's American (glug, glug, glug).

Yes mate, we get it.

Ah yes, the Shappi Khorsandi game. We usually have a competition to guess how many seconds into her act it will take for her to mention being Iranian. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

Sorry, but its still offensive, still harmful, and still homophobic.

I'm in a glass house on this one, as I grew up using gay as a pejorative word, and throwing around homophobic abuse excused as "banter".

But I was also in the closet, and deeply ashamed, and that kept me from being who I really was for the best part of 40 years.

Banter isn't an excuse, and just because you don't think anyone listening will be offended is not a good enough reason to espouse offensive views, even in jest.

Not when it's about punching down at marginalised groups.

Do you, having grown up "using gay as a pejorative word", whilst being "in the closet, and deeply ashamed" feel you must compensate for that by trying to police the language and conduct of others?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

Why? It's a valid point. how is n***a any different from n***er?

When people of African ancestry use that term it is not an ethnic slur. Obviously it has different connotations if a white guy said it, no matter how it's spelt or pronounced there is a metric ton of historical reasons why it is inappropriate.

Hopefully 2023 will be the year that the basschat dad brigade no longer need this explaining to them, I ain't counting on it but we can all live in hope.

• Like 8

When I think back to my early working life it's incredible. You had to have a thick skin because the "banter" was relentless. I would like to think it made me who I am but there were times that you wanted to curl up and cry. Thankfully that kind of behaviour is now regarded as bullying and is no longer allowed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan Dare said:

Do you, having grown up "using gay as a pejorative word", whilst being "in the closet, and deeply ashamed" feel you must compensate for that by trying to police the language and conduct of others?

No, I do that because I now live openly as a queer and trans person, and I'm painfully conscious of the danger posed to myself and my peers by the real harm done by the language and conduct of others.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

When people of African ancestry use that term it is not an ethnic slur

I know that. I am just annoyed at the over use of the word by black rappers when it IS an offensive word.

Edited by ubit

I saw the Macc Lads a few times back in the day. Then the puerile school boy "humour" novelty wore off. I can't believe they're still going...

I'm not offended by them, I just don't see the point.

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

You see it as policing. 

Others see it as educating. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

I saw the Macc Lads a few times back in the day. Then the puerile school boy "humour" novelty wore off. I can't believe they're still going...

I'm not offended by them, I just don't see the point.

It was funny in the 80's but as you say, the joke kinda wore off.

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Viz the N word, the way NWA and others use it's n***a not n***er, which is the racist term.

I still occasionally dig out my Macc Lads CDs if I need a bit of a laff. I'm not offended by any of their songs.

But isn't it really the same word just spelt differently cos it sounds like the same word when it's said

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

the other side of the coin, this modern music is rubbish, starting to sound like my Dad

There has not been any modern music for at least 20 years. Has any music been released 2001 - 2022 that would have been out of place in 2000?

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

I know that. I am just annoyed at the over use of the word by black rappers when it IS an offensive word.

If it's not a slur when they use it to refer to each other (sometimes it's neutral, sometimes a term of endearment) then it isn't offensive. At the end of the day it's for those within that demographic to decide.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ubit said:

When I think back to my early working life it's incredible. You had to have a thick skin because the "banter" was relentless. I would like to think it made me who I am but there were times that you wanted to curl up and cry. Thankfully that kind of behaviour is now regarded as bullying and is no longer allowed.

I did an apprenticeship in engineering back in the 90's and the abuse was pretty relentless for the full four years of my training. Most of it I found quite funny and laughed along with them but the other apprentice bit back and got it twice as bad. I soon realised you just had to go with it.

None of it would be allowed these days but on the other side, ignoring the abuse, the standard of mentoring was higher, apprenticeships were twice as long and you were expected to do the job and not just used as cheap labour. 

It all went wrong when HR departments became a thing.

• Like 2