Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

3 hours ago, KingBollock said:

I truly believe that Dani Filth is an astoundingly good lyricist. A true master at what he does.

I remember years ago Mark and Lard on radio one used to go on about Cradle Of Filth and I thought it was a made up band. It wasn't until I looked them up on Youtube that I realised that  they were real. Pretty decent too and none of it offended me.

Edited by ubit

5 minutes ago, ubit said:

I remember years ago Mark and Lard on radio one used to go on about Cradle Of Filth and I thought it was a mede up band. It wasn't until I looked them up on Youtube that I realised that  they were real. Pretty decent too and none of it offended me.

It seems like an odd thing to say, but Dani’s lyrics are often romantic, even beautiful. Even when he’s singing about serial killers!

Edited by KingBollock

9 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

Offensive metal lyrics is just art and theatre. Nothing more. Don't overthink it, it means nothing. It's just music.

Slayer's Sex Murder Art is up there with the Cannibal Corpse stuff for offensiveness:

"Take my fist and violate every orifice"

Well! I thought you'd never ask 😍

Just goes to show how some things others deem offensive can go over your head. I’ve been listening to ‘Sex Murder Art’ and all things Slayer since I was 10 in 1987 - for that particular lyric I’ve only ever heard the line from ‘violate…’, never once noticed it said ‘Take my fist’. 

While we’re on Slayer, I’ve never found them offensive in any way. And in ways that they could be seen as offensive, I think it’s no different that watching something like ‘Schindler’s List’. I don’t find that movie offensive at all, but I’m certainly never watching it again, it’s so damn disturbing. But there lies the point - it brings out attention to the truly disturbing things in real life, same as ‘Angel Of Death’ or any of the many serial killer songs Slayer has.

7 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Just goes to show how some things others deem offensive can go over your head. I’ve been listening to ‘Sex Murder Art’ and all things Slayer since I was 10 in 1987 - for that particular lyric I’ve only ever heard the line from ‘violate…’, never once noticed it said ‘Take my fist’. 

While we’re on Slayer, I’ve never found them offensive in any way. And in ways that they could be seen as offensive, I think it’s no different that watching something like ‘Schindler’s List’. I don’t find that movie offensive at all, but I’m certainly never watching it again, it’s so damn disturbing. But there lies the point - it brings out attention to the truly disturbing things in real life, same as ‘Angel Of Death’ or any of the many serial killer songs Slayer has.

I watched a documentary ages ago about some kids in Scandinavia who were black metal fans. They'd committed a murder "in the name of Satan" and it was all about should metal be getting the blame.  To be fair, they had been dipping their toes into the dark art by all accounts, probably for " a laugh". There was a clip from a Slayer show and they were playing that track, with a massive pit going on. The video froze every couple of milliseconds to display the song lyrics on the screen, and that's where I read the words for the first time. I suppose it was trying to show the glorification of violence.

14 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

‘Schindler’s List’. I don’t find that movie offensive at all, but I’m certainly never watching it again, it’s so damn disturbing.

I was the same with Train Spotting. Great movie but I can't bring myself to watch it again. Definitely gonna watch Schindlers list again right enough.

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

Viz the N word, the way NWA and others use it's n***a not n***er, which is the racist term.

Thats completely splitting hairs though. It's obviously a colloquialism of the N word. If someone white was to say n***a they would be derided and wouldn't be able to say I didn't say n****er!

Anyway when did you ever hear an American say n****er? Sounding out the "er"

13 minutes ago, ubit said:

Thats completely splitting hairs though. It's obviously a colloquialism of the N word. If someone white was to say n***a they would be derided and wouldn't be able to say I didn't say n****er!

This is the most white person thing I have ever read. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

It's all about context. When black guys use the n word among their social group it's completely different from when a white racist uses it towards them. Similarly, when we we much younger me and my mates often jokingly referred to eachother as 'a big p**f', 'big girl's blouse' etc if we did something not quite acceptable to the group e.g. drinking coke instead of a beer while out on a session. No one was offended, it was typical banter. It would've been different if we'd addressed a total stranger the same way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Who buys that rubbish? Seriously, it's bloody awful. 

It's a shame about Ed and Blunty in that they seem to be really nice guys with their hearts in the right place but their music is pretty unlistenable for me. If someone is a total bell3nd, like the Gallagher brothers it's so easy to dislike their dreadful music.