Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

Totally  agree there. You hear the N word thrown about like nobody’s business and yet if a white person says it it’s call the cops. If it’s so offensive why is it used so much by black singers? 

I believe its about taking back the word from the racists and using it themselves. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I believe its about taking back the word from the racists and using it themselves. 

I got called a N***** once in Nigeria. I’m white so it came as a surprise to me. I ignored it in case it was an attempt to goad me into saying something back. 

Cannibal corpse have probably some of the most shocking titles and lyrics in “songs” 

“I Cum Blood” being one and “entrails ripped……” I let you look that one up yourself. 
Never understood why you would want to write music like that. 
I’m not shocked by it, not offended by it, more bemused and a little sad it was ever written 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

At Rebellion a few years back when they played it was probably the most packed I’ve seen The Empress stage. They still pull good crowds wherever they play.

And that was actually a terrible gig as they had Bammy "singing".

They were basically "Filf" covering Macc Lads  songs.  

Bammy is now just their manager and it's bank to Muttley singing. 

They ate WAY better now than at rebellion. 

11 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Cannibal corpse have probably some of the most shocking titles and lyrics in “songs” 

“I Cum Blood” being one and “entrails ripped……” I let you look that one up yourself. 
I’m not shocked by it, not offended by it, more bemused and a little sad it was ever written 

I saw Gorerotted many years ago, supporting Cryptopsy. They had a song called "Masticated by the Spasticated", which made me chuckle. I give it to them, that is a truly spectacular song title. I was more offended by their music, really, really not to my taste. I've played on bills with plenty of Grind and, even better, Goregrind bands. A lot of those lads spend more time coming up with manky titles than writing riffs. Very few of them lived out their lyrics, I'm quite sure.

Getting offended over musical fantasy is like getting offended by horror or gore movies and books. Intent is everything. Art does not mean the artist lives it out in the real world, or wants to live it out in the real world. There are, of course, plenty of bands using music as a means to push a shitty political agenda which they genuinely believe in. Get offended at that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

Beer 'n sex n' chips n' gravy! 😁

I love The Macc Lads, always have. But then again, I find Steven Lynch highly amusing so ...

That was the first Macc Lads album I ever heard. I was 12 and I have been listening to them ever since. They’re brilliant for singalongs on long car journeys.
I actually had their entire discography, including all of the demo/ep cassettes, such as Bog & Roll Circus, but I lent them to someone and never saw them again.

I got to see the Macc Lads only once, in 1995. Too much snot for my liking.

I was going to mention Stephen Lynch, too (Kevin Bloody Wilson and Rodney Carrington also). For some reason I can tolerate almost anything if you dress it up with some clever lyrics and put it to music.

• Like 1

Offensive metal lyrics is just art and theatre. Nothing more. Don't overthink it, it means nothing. It's just music.

Slayer's Sex Murder Art is up there with the Cannibal Corpse stuff for offensiveness:

"Take my fist and violate every orifice"

Well! I thought you'd never ask 😍

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Reminds of an observation by (black) comedian Reginald D Hunter:

Black people cannot reclaim the N-word…. we didn’t invent it in the first place.

Just an observation, pretty much any time RGD is on TV, it's like a drinking game.  RGD says he's black (glug, glug, glug).  RGD says he's American (glug, glug, glug).

Yes mate, we get it.

7 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

Offensive metal lyrics is just art and theatre. Nothing more. Don't overthink it, it means nothing. It's just music.

I remember an interview with Geezer Butler where he described his occult themed lyrics as being no different to a horror film. I think that's a good description. 

You can't have crushingly heavy music and lyrics about how lovely roses smell o a summer day.

Summer Breeze by Type O Negative is a bit of an exception to this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

Slayer's Sex Murder Art is up there with the Cannibal Corpse stuff for offensiveness:

"Take my fist and violate every orifice"

Well! I thought you'd never ask 😍

That was the first song I heard that really spoke to me from a 'regular friday night' point of view.

I miss university.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bunion said:

I remember when Danny Filth was on the TV answering questions about Cradle of Filth's (in)famous "Jesus is a C***" t-shirt

When pressed to give a reason it was "Because we sold 100,000 of them" - and it was after that they started to get festival bookings too. So as a bit of advertising it was genius.

Some art is specifically created to appeal to a demographic that will buy it. Some is created just because of the love of the artist.

It's almost impossible to decide which is which if the artist won't say.

I have slagged off Nickelback in the past, but then saw a great interview with Devin Townsend where he explained meeting Chad wotsit and that despite the saccharine pop rock reputation, Chad was as obsessed with his music as DT was about his. No cynical marketing / writing approach at all, no aim for chart success. Just writing what he loved like we all do. 

I'm far more sad at most of the top 40. 

Formulaic, no risk, all auto-tuned, brickwall mastered, identikit crap that with very few exceptions won't even make it onto a "Now that's what I call music" compilation.

That really is a factory, and it's not the artists making the money.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peloquin said:

And that was actually a terrible gig as they had Bammy "singing".

They were basically "Filf" covering Macc Lads  songs.  

Bammy is now just their manager and it's bank to Muttley singing. 

They ate WAY better now than at rebellion. 

Yeah we played with Filf at Amsterdam Rebellion and agree, much better now Muttleys back on vox doing what he does best.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I remember when Danny Filth was on the TV answering questions about Cradle of Filth's (in)famous "Jesus is a C***" t-shirt

When pressed to give a reason it was "Because we sold 100,000 of them" - and it was after that they started to get festival bookings too. So as a bit of advertising it was genius.

Some art is specifically created to appeal to a demographic that will buy it. Some is created just because of the love of the artist.

It's almost impossible to decide which is which if the artist won't say.

This I did not know. Brilliant. CoF has such a young demographic. And there it is - here kids, shock your parents!

Dani Filth might have a voice that sets your teeth on edge but he's clearly got a brain too. Fair play to him $$$$

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ubit said:

I got called a N***** once in Nigeria. I’m white so it came as a surprise to me. I ignored it in case it was an attempt to goad me into saying something back. 

Some people use the word to denote slave, not colour. A mate of mine used to work in antiques and his Spanish boss was always using the N word for his staff, and every single one of them was white. 

4 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

This I did not know. Brilliant. CoF has such a young demographic. And there it is - here kids, shock your parents!

Dani Filth might have a voice that sets your teeth on edge but he's clearly got a brain too. Fair play to him $$$$

I truly believe that Dani Filth is an astoundingly good lyricist. A true master at what he does.

• Like 1