Why become a member? ×

Offensive Music/Bands

Thunderbird

1 minute ago, Jason Karloff said:

What about offensive actual band names? 

I saw a flyer in London circa 10 years ago and one band was called 

Operation Cnut Destroyer

(u and n in their traditional places) 

And some band called Prostitution Disfigurement. 

Yes I heard them on radio 2 back in the day lol

23 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I thought Steve Albini was a right pillock for calling one of his bands Rapeman (after a Japanese 'superhero' comic apparently)

I wouldn't buy or otherwise endorse a band with that name.

A couple of decades ago there was a Tamworth band called "Rape in yellow", a reference to the vast expanses of rape fields that grew around. Of course, oilseed rape isn't the first thing you think of when you see the name. I don't recall anyone stating that they were offended though.

Interesting that nobody's mentioned The Sex Pistols, a band seemingly designed with the sole purpose of causing offence. Their lyrics might seem rather harmless and childish now, but at the time I seem to recall they caused quite a stir. Back in the seventies, many of the older generation had lived through the war, and had lost loved ones in the fight against Hitler; likening the Royal Family to a "fascist regime" was a lot more edgy then. Funny how things change; nowadays they are just a minor part of rock history, whereas some of the DJ's who were not allowed to play them on radio one because they were too offensive.....well, enough said.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, WarPig said:

None of them bother me. One of my old faves are Ax Cx (can't use either word of their name), who set out to be the worst band ever and until Coldplay came about, Ax Cx were winning.

Although I do think K$$t are just a bit naff.

15 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Coldplay yet. 😉

• Like 1

I don't find it offensive but feel it's all a bit novelty. I remember being played the Macc Lads back in the 80s, laughing for about a week and then never listening to them again. Same with Steel Panther - a friend came over to jam and was all excited to play me them. We laughed and then they kept making albums. I kinda felt the joke was done. Interestingly a lot of these bands actually have decent musicians in them but it's all a bit of a fad for me. Good luck to them all though. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

The Macc Lads are still touring and afaik are not banned from anywhere now.  Still a great gig although,  admittedly,  tamed down a bit.

I don't understand how/ why people get offended.  I've never understood it. 

At Rebellion a few years back when they played it was probably the most packed I’ve seen The Empress stage. They still pull good crowds wherever they play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I don't find it offensive but feel it's all a bit novelty. I remember being played the Macc Lads back in the 80s, laughing for about a week and then never listening to them again. Same with Steel Panther - a friend came over to jam and was all excited to play me them. We laughed and then they kept making albums. I kinda felt the joke was done. Interestingly a lot of these bands actually have decent musicians in them but it's all a bit of a fad for me. Good luck to them all though. 

Russell Parish aka Satchel from Steel Panther is a phenomenal guitarist and played on all Rob Halfords solo albums from the late 90s/2000s

I've been more offended* by the barrage of tripe that has come out of shows like The X-Factor, American Idol or Britain's Got Another Identikit Pretty Boy Warbler over the last 20 years than any of the acts mentioned here so far.

*offended as in 'felt ennui through repetitiveness' due to other TV shows/TV adverts/shops etc insisting that an anodyne tune by some chancer off of one of these Cowell-approved televisual banalities has to be playing loudly and intrusively whenever and wherever.

• Like 8

When I was a teenager I had a 7" called the 'Tampax E.P.'  It was by an Italian punk band that I never saw and never heard of again.  it was a numbered single and was difficult to get hold of.

It was rubbish but very offensive, the lyrics went something like: "Tampax....Tampax...Tampax...Tampax in the Cnut".  I only ever played it when friends came round and we would all have a good giggle (making sure my parents couldn't hear it).

It was presumably an attempt to be as outrageous as possible, this was 1980 so you had to push the boat out a bit to be considered outrageous.

I think stuff is only offensive if you don't really agree with it, which is a personal thing, for instance some wouldn't find Boris Johnson is a f**cking C***t offensive and think it's funny because they don't like Boris Johnson or his politics, but if the lyric were Jeremy Corbyn is a Jew Hating C***t, they might find it offensive, or least not funny.

Some (most) find Right Wing bands offensive but some wouldn't.

We do  a Sid Vicious inspired My Way but the singer won't sing Sid's "I'm not a Queer" lyric, which, these days is probably a lot more controversial than the lyrics in Bodies, how times change 

Sorry if anybody has been offended by some of the things in this post

• Like 1

I don’t really get offended by any of it, personally. At the end of the day, whether I think it’s ace or dreadful (very much mostly the latter FWIW) it’s music to one degree or another and so ‘valid’, for wont of a better word.

What I’ve always taken exception to though is people who love the more outrageous taboo stuff because it reinforces their actual views. And there will be some artists where that’s always the case too, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I find bland music most offensive. Dull, lifeless bland toss like Buble, Coldplay Will Young, James Blunt and just about everything else on Radio 2. Music is art and art should never be bland. 

At least music traditionally seen as offensive has something you remember after hearing it and at least it triggers some sort of emotion even if it's disgust. I feel my time has been wasted if I hear something which just leaves me bored.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thunderbird said:

I've always found some rap a bit odd groups like NWA and the like always say n££££r and it seems not to offend would it be offensive if a  white band used that word in a song? Does that make sense? 

Totally  agree there. You hear the N word thrown about like nobody’s business and yet if a white person says it it’s call the cops. If it’s so offensive why is it used so much by black singers?