Why become a member? ×

Pedal board power help

la bam

Hi all,

I'm putting together a tiny pedalboard consisting of:

Boss WD50 wireless.

Sansamp v2

Pedaltrain tiny tuner

I need something (maybe a small box) to plug these into and then power off one plug. Is there anything available?

The tuner and sansamp are 9v, the boss runs off something called a boss psa cable?

Any help appreciated.

Ciocks DC7 would be great for that, or similar. Go for isolated power outputs if your budget can stretch. Lots on the market. Be careful with the cheaper range from Thomann as may need a euro to GB mains adaptor.

Edited by MuddBass

39 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Just looked up the PSA, and it would appear to be a standard 9v / 500mA.

So any multi pedal PSU should do.

Voodoo labs 4x4 just sold mine but that would be ideal for your set up and it will power the boss 500ma is quite a big draw but the voodoo should do it it powered my Fender downtown just fine think that was 500ma

1 hour ago, MuddBass said:

Ciocks DC7 would be great for that, or similar. Go for isolated power outputs if your budget can stretch. Lots on the market. Be careful with the cheaper range from Thomann as may need a euro to GB mains adaptor.

I found the cheap Harley Benton Junior very reliable, i got round the (fixed) euro plug issue by cutting it off and fitting an IEC C14 plug to it instead to fit a standard "kettle" power cable, something i always have a spare or tow of in my gig bag, as a bonus it also extends the power cable making for easier pedalboard placement on stage.

the only reason i stopped using mine is that i needed more current than it could provide. I've also used the Palmer version which is near identical but has a removeable power cable.

I'm now using a Fame dc junior psu which has so far been excellent and offers 5x500mA isolated outputs.

Matt

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I found the cheap Harley Benton Junior very reliable, i got round the (fixed) euro plug issue by cutting it off and fitting an IEC C14 plug to it instead to fit a standard "kettle" power cable, something i always have a spare or tow of in my gig bag, as a bonus it also extends the power cable making for easier pedalboard placement on stage.

the only reason i stopped using mine is that i needed more current than it could provide. I've also used the Palmer version which is near identical but has a removeable power cable.

I'm now using a Fame dc junior psu which has so far been excellent and offers 5x500mA isolated outputs.

Matt

It was these types that I was refering to https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_5_pro.htm

Can't cut the Euro plug off these.

Edited by MuddBass
  • Like 1

i've just looked up the Boss WD50 and it has a 9v out for running other pedals, so if you power it with the recommended power supply (or an equivalent) you can connect a daisy chain to the output and power your other pedals directly from the wireless receiver, i

they quote 120mA for the tiny tuner (which is a huge draw for a tuner!)

the WD50 is 60mA in wireless mode and 320mA when charging. the PSA is 500mA so with the wireless charging and the tuner on there is 60mA left for the Sansamp and they quote a current draw of 6mA in the manual. this gives you a bit of extra current available which is always a good thing (never a great idea to go too close to the limit with power supplies)

matt

• Like 1

Just now, MuddBass said:

It was these type that I was refering to https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_5_pro.htm

Can't cut the Euro plug of these.

ahh yes those are a problem, the very cheap power plant junior has a fixed mains lead with a moulded on euro plug (and isolated outputs!) but with the requirement of the Boss it wouldn't be enough current even with 2 outputs combined (this is what moved me to the fame unit as my Line 6 G50 needed more than 240mA)

1 minute ago, Matt P said:

ahh yes those are a problem, the very cheap power plant junior has a fixed mains lead with a moulded on euro plug (and isolated outputs!) but with the requirement of the Boss it wouldn't be enough current even with 2 outputs combined (this is what moved me to the fame unit as my Line 6 G50 needed more than 240mA)

Indeed. Ciocks DC7 for me for similar reasons.

On 06/01/2022 at 20:27, MuddBass said:

It was these types that I was refering to https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_5_pro.htm

Can't cut the Euro plug off these.

I've got one of these under my board powering half a dozen pedals. I've previously had Ciocks DC5 & DC8 and Trutone OneSpot CS6 PSUs, all great quality, but the IsoPro does the job equally well and it's tiny making it really easy to slot underneath the board and incredibly good value. Very happy to recommend. Thomann supply an adaptor as standard for the Euro plug, so that has never really been an issue.

3 x 300mA ouputs plus 2 x 500mA ouputs. The latter two have 9V, 12V and 18V options. The outputs are isolated and I've had no noise issues at all.

Edited by Al Krow

For my mini board (Mono Lite, so basically a Pedlatrain Nano) I've mounted a Gigrig isolator underneath and I plug that into a standard 9v True Tone power supply. I'm sure that would void any warranty but I've been doing it for about 6 months and it works great.

Edited by bassist_lewis

17 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

For my mini board (Mono Lite, so basically a Pedlatrain Nano) I've mounted a Gigrig isolator underneath and I plug that into a standard 9v True Tone power supply. I'm sure that would void any warranty but I've been doing it for about 6 months and it works great.

This would certainly work, I've been doing a version of that for years.

A similar but cheaper way is to use a 1spot + daisy chain + two Joyo ZGPs (one on the sansamp, one on the tuner).

• Like 1

Cioks also make a 4 way extender (https://cioks.com/products/cioks-4/) that can be powered off a DC7, however it can also be run off it’s own PSU or via it’s USB C input with an external battery/power pack. Switchable voltages for each isolated output in a very neat and small package. I use the Cioks DC7 and once had that under a Nano with no issues.

Edited by jimbobothy

I would look at the basic Truetone One Spot power supply as others have suggested and a daisy chain cable.

The Boss PSA is a basic 9v power supply so nothing different from others on the market. 
I’ve used more expensive power supplies by Trex etc and for the money and power rating the one spot is hard to beat. Powerful and super quiet and sensible price too 

Edited by BassAdder27