Why become a member? ×

And Justice For All.......Criminal!

ubit

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I remember being rather exited by Death Magnetic til I got it but after a few listens just decided it was ok at best. 

There was a decent 45 minute album lost in there somewhere. After the 3 dismal preceding albums it was good to hear them playing metal & sounding hostile again, but the absolute lack of quality control made it a chore to sit through after the first few listens.

Don't think I listened to their last album (what was it called? Nope, don't care.) more than twice.

Metallica really need someone who can say no to them. Hardwired had good tracks on it, but for some baffling reason they decide to dilute those into an hour and 20 minute double album filled with bland, lifeless material.

I just made a Spotify playlist of the best tracks - 6 songs, 37 minutes long, now I just listen to that rather than the album

I always found listening to this album that guitars tortured the speakers. Although I'd listen to in on tapes back in days, I own the CD version and it's no different. After Reload I didn't bother listening to any new Metallica release. For me it's the first 3 albums then black album. And for the sake of the discussion, Jason was the best bass player in Metallica followed by Cliff.

Edited by SH73
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2022 at 11:20, SH73 said:

I always found listening to this album that guitars tortured the speakers. Although I'd listen to in on tapes back in days, I own the CD version and it's no different. After Reload I didn't bother listening to any new Metallica release. For me it's the first 3 albums then black album. And for the sake of the discussion, Jason was the best bass player in Metallica followed by Cliff.

For me it's all about Ride the Lightning, Justice, and Black. I bought St Anger and it was so bad that I never listened to any new stuff at all after that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I bought St Anger and it was so bad that I never listened to any new stuff at all after that. 

Here we go again. Another one dissing St Anger. How many times do we have to read about how bad this album is, especially the horrible snare drum sound? How many times? Over and over again people criticise this album, telling us how bad it is. It has become such an easy target. However, if you sit down, relax and listen to it from start to finish, then you will hopefully realise that it is actually... really that bad 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Here we go again. Another one dissing St Anger. How many times do we have to read about how bad this album is, especially the horrible snare drum sound? How many times? Over and over again people criticise this album, telling us how bad it is. It has become such an easy target. However, if you sit down, relax and listen to it from start to finish, then you will hopefully realise that it is actually... really that bad 😉 

To be honest, I never even knew that it was considered a heavily criticised album. I couldn't care less what other people think. I either like something, or I don't. Other people's opinions matter not a jot. A lot of people don't like the Black Album, and consider it to be the point at which Metallica "sold out", whatever that means. I bet they're crying all the way to the bank. For me it's their best album by far. 

• Like 1

If you picked the top three or four songs from St Anger, cut about 30% out of those and then called it an EP, it could have been great.

Actually thinking about it, that's what they should have done for Death Magnetic and Hardwired too.

I wouldn't now choose to sit down & devote an hour to making myself listen to Stanger - but my recollection was that I didn't hate it. At the time I found it interesting - very, very different to anything they'd done previously, obviously the product of a band in turmoil, wilfully difficult/experimental - and what sounded like a big "f*ck you" to an industry that expected radio-friendly unit shifters from them. A lot about it, and what I knew of its creation, made me make parallels with Rush's Vapor Trails, in many ways a similarly difficult, experimental album from a band in trauma.

Thinking about it, I probably haven't listened to it in 15+ years. Might dig it out & stick it on later, despite what I just said...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I wouldn't now choose to sit down & devote an hour to making myself listen to Stanger - but my recollection was that I didn't hate it. At the time I found it interesting - very, very different to anything they'd done previously, obviously the product of a band in turmoil, wilfully difficult/experimental - and what sounded like a big "f*ck you" to an industry that expected radio-friendly unit shifters from them. A lot about it, and what I knew of its creation, made me make parallels with Rush's Vapor Trails, in many ways a similarly difficult, experimental album from a band in trauma.

Thinking about it, I probably haven't listened to it in 15+ years. Might dig it out & stick it on later, despite what I just said...

I love St Anger. It's one of the most honest things they've ever made. However, like any Metallica post '92, it's far too long and could happily lose two or three songs.

It does sound horrible, but it's supposed to.

It's a primal scream.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2022 at 10:46, Newfoundfreedom said:

To be honest, I never even knew that it was considered a heavily criticised album. I couldn't care less what other people think. I either like something, or I don't. Other people's opinions matter not a jot. A lot of people don't like the Black Album, and consider it to be the point at which Metallica "sold out", whatever that means. I bet they're crying all the way to the bank. For me it's their best album by far. 

There's a documentary about Motley Crue, and back in the LA Club days they were getting a bit of a slating by Metallica. 

Fast forward a few years, and Metallica want to work with Bon Jovi's producer, then a couple of years later start wearing makeup themselves.

"Selling out" is a strange term. You do the best you can to make money. I watched a documentary many years ago about the Campbell brothers from UB40. They were just starting out and their father was a famous folk singer. Thats what the documentary was about. They were being interviewed and they said "we sing about oppression and injustice. If you ever hear us singing love songs then we have sold out." 

I guess they sold out then.

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

There's a documentary about Motley Crue, and back in the LA Club days they were getting a bit of a slating by Metallica. 

Fast forward a few years, and Metallica want to work with Bon Jovi's producer, then a couple of years later start wearing makeup themselves.

I have never seen you write anything about the rock/metal scene that I didn't agree with but there is no way that Kirk Hammett wearing a bit of eyeliner and looking like a Mexican pimp now he's hit middle age is anything like the makeup that the Crue wear!

• Haha 2