Why become a member? ×

And Justice For All.......Criminal!

ubit

22 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Not quite - the version the Bass Channel did was carefully constructed from watching and listening to live performances of the tracks.

Ok, the guy from the Bass Channel used his fingers instead of a Pick, but they are Jason's parts.

It's this one: 

They also have individual tracks with much louder bass to learn from. They did have individual proper mix as well, but Metallica's record label got upset about that.

I don't listen to the original anymore - I listen to this version. It's much better.

He's not 100% accurate, Jason used a 5 string on the recording and on the title track at least there's a fair bit of sub-E going on.

I was a big Metallica fan from my back in my schooldays(im 50 now),and loved all the Cliff era and i remember buying the $5.98 EP when Jason joined and the bass sounded great,i bought and justice...  on vinyl and it sounded terrible on my system back then.

I kind of went off them to a degree after that i just couldnt listen to it,i loved master of the puppets but as a follow up and with a bass player you knew could do the business that mix was shocking.

1 hour ago, stu_g said:

I was a big Metallica fan from my back in my schooldays(im 50 now),and loved all the Cliff era and i remember buying the $5.98 EP when Jason joined and the bass sounded great,i bought and justice...  on vinyl and it sounded terrible on my system back then.

I kind of went off them to a degree after that i just couldnt listen to it,i loved master of the puppets but as a follow up and with a bass player you knew could do the business that mix was shocking.

Exactly my experience Stu - huge fan of the first 3 albums, Cliff's playing on Ride the Lightning got me into bass (Arbiter Ricky copy in fireglo!), I had massive expectations for AJFA but I just found most of it overlong, overdone and frankly boring. Re-listening today, I love Blackened and Harvester of Sorrow, and enjoy Eye of the Beholder and To LIve is to Die (naturally) but the rest does nothing for me. Whereas I still listen to Ride the LIghtning and Master of Puppets regularly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevsy71 said:

I had massive expectations for Master Of Puppets but I just found most of it overlong, overdone and frankly boring. When I last tried to listen to it, I got three songs in, it does nothing for me. Whereas I still listen to Ride the Lightning and AJFA regularly.

^^^^ I rewrote this to twist it to my own experiences ;) Funny how things go.

I agree that AJFA goes on too long – to get round that, I usually decide to listen to one side or the other. But more usually I listen to Ride The Lightning.

One quality of AJFA that I'm surprised doesn't get mentioned more often is just how heavy the influence of Brian May is. When I first got to know it, I already knew Queen II well, and was quite startled by some of the resemblances.

• Like 3

Just a learning experience for the band isn’t it?

All the criticism of Lars & James, these are the same guys that turned out Kill em all / Lightning / Puppets, and for good or ill , the Black album. They pushed the envelope and tried new things, some of it worked, some of it didn’t. 

People wade in heavy hating on Lars, but if you love Kill / Lightning / Puppets, then you have to accept Lars is the driving force behind these - and has done way more right than wrong. It is heartbreaking we never got to hear Cliff’s songwriting develop but without Lars there would have been no Cliff in Metallica. 

He was right about Napster too :) 

1 hour ago, Drax said:

People wade in heavy hating on Lars, but if you love Kill / Lightning / Puppets, then you have to accept Lars is the driving force behind these - and has done way more right than wrong.

I don't know if you are including me in that. I think Lars is a great drummer and I have no doubt about his talent. I just think on a personal level he's a bit of a knob.

• Like 1

I think Lars was a perfectly adequate drummer for what Metallica were doing for their first four records.

In an perfect world, he'd have been in a producer role, helping to write the material with someone more competent actually performing/writing the drums. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

'Tallica were on the cusp of replacing Lars when Cliff Burton died. They thought it would be too much to recruit a new bassist and drummer at the same time, so he got a reprieve.

Cliff's death was a double tragedy.

I don't get where this they were going to get rid of Lars stuff comes from. Metallica were founded by Lars. He is the band leader.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ubit said:

I don't get where this they were going to get rid of Lars stuff comes from. Metallica were founded by Lars. He is the band leader.

Interviews online with Band members who say this was the case. I think I read one where Lars addressed it.

I quite like Lars's drumming on the black album. Not approaching being anything like a Metallica fan. 

I think turning the bass up on AJFA would just be Turd polishing.

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I was quite dismayed when I discovered I needed a random youtube recommendation to tell me this about the opening I had known since I was a kid

I did that myself donkey's years ago, think I used my old Fostex cassette 4-track with the tape in upside-down!

Never occured to me to record it & put it on YouTube. Probably because I'd have had to invent Youtube. And the rest of the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Graham said:

I think Lars was a perfectly adequate drummer for what Metallica were doing for their first four records.

In an perfect world, he'd have been in a producer role, helping to write the material with someone more competent actually performing/writing the drums. 

That's a good point. There's a lot of 'metal' that sounds like wasps in jam jars. That would have been a smorgasbord for wee baldy.