Why become a member? ×

BBC Sound of 2022 Winner

DaytonaRik

Just now, RhysP said:

I was referring to Nirvana.

I don't like Foo Fighters either mind, and I've never equated "popular" with "good"

Nope, that's often very true, I can't stand the Beatles or the Stones, but both bands were chock full of talent.

I quite like the Foos, but their last couple of albums sound very samey, I'd still give a major body part to be able to play drums as well as Grohl does.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Ok, I’ll give you inspiration but there’s a whole difference between being inspired by something, and just using it as a loop behind a vocal

It goes far beyond "inspiration" - most musical genres have their own rules that tend to be followed, even by people who refuse to admit it.

That's why you don't tend to hear any 7 bar blues.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

It's been the foundation of hip hop for more than 40 years.

For me the ability to take a sample from a pre existing piece of music and turn it into something new and original definitely has artistic merit.

After all how many guitar bands are writing songs with unique and original chord sequences these days?

Many classical composers have done 'variations' of other composers works.

• Like 1

I don't give a monkey's left t1t whether bands can play their instruments properly. It's the end result that counts. Conversely there are all these technical metal type thing bands that have brilliant players but sticking needles in my eardrums is preferable to listening to their stuff. As for sampling and autotune, I have no problem with them. After all, for decades revered rock bands have been making albums doing multiple takes and then stitching the best bits  together, kinda. As for originality, just check in to Planet Rock and there's one newish rock band after another who not only sound like eachother but also like thousands that have gone before e.g. Those Damn Crows, Massive Wagons, Stone Broken, When Rivers Meet, Kris Barras Band, Mason Hill, Halestorm, The Pretty Reckless.......

• Like 2

Can't remember which one, but one of Chemical Brothers best known songs is based on an old song by 23 Skidoo.

I thought the CB track was great and went back to check the 23S original figuring that it would be even better.

Not so, much prefer the CB song, they made much more of a good bassline than 23 Skidoo did.

I think of CB as musicians who work with samples creatively. But even that is going back a few years!

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Can't remember which one, but one of Chemical Brothers best known songs is based on an old song by 23 Skidoo.

I thought the CB track was great and went back to check the 23S original figuring that it would be even better.

Not so, much prefer the CB song, they made much more of a good bassline than 23 Skidoo did.

I think of CB as musicians who work with samples creatively. But even that is going back a few years!

The 23 Skidoo song is indeed Coup. You'd really need to hear the 12" version, which works much more effectively than the radio edit.

Edited by Barking Spiders

22 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Does anyone else despair at the current state of musicianship - or rather the very obvious lack of it - amongst popular musicians and breakthrough artists?  Taking someone else's samples/loops etc and putting your own vocals over them does not a musician make

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59733291

A few points:

Its the Sound of 2022, not young musician of the year.  Hopefully the sound of 2022 isnt 70's rock, I'd rather listen to 70's rock but its not Jonny's sound of 2022 either...

Just because she chooses to use samples as a medium how do you know she cant play an instrument?  She could be the best viola player on the planet but just likes working with loops and samples, which has been done in some form since around the time Leo invented his P bass to be honest.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Please tell - what is required in your eyes to be a 'musician'? 

The ability to fire three rounds a minute in any weather.

Oh hang on ... that's what's required to be a soldier in Wellington's army during the Peninsular War according to Major Sharpe.

As you were ...

• Like 1