Why become a member? ×

BBC Sound of 2022 Winner

DaytonaRik

14 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Please tell - what is required in your eyes to be a 'musician'? 

The ability to actually play an instrument would be a good start!  I know that  opens the whole 'is your instrument your voice' debate, but  I just get fed up of the lack of distinct ability for people to pick an instrument up and create music from absolutely nothing.  Threw 'em all in a studio with a bunch of instruments and see what they come out with!  Quite possibly something incredible, but more than likely a whole lot of nothing!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 3

Eh?

We're six days, SIX DAYS, into 2022 and someone is declared to be the "Sound of 2022". So whatever extraordinary music is made (or not, of course) during the remaining 359 days of the year, it won't qualify.

I suppose the fact that the winner is a good looking woman with big eyes didn't hurt her chances...

Beam me up Scotty.

40 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Taking someone else's samples/loops etc and putting your own vocals over them does not a musician make

It's been the foundation of hip hop for more than 40 years.

For me the ability to take a sample from a pre existing piece of music and turn it into something new and original definitely has artistic merit.

After all how many guitar bands are writing songs with unique and original chord sequences these days?

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

"Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old ******** drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they'll suck, too. And then they'll ******** start playing and they'll have the best time they've ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they'll become Nirvana. Because that's exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some ****** old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-donkey ****, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don't need a ******* computer or the internet or The Voice or American Idol."

Dave Grohl 

Edited by DaytonaRik

1 minute ago, DaytonaRik said:

"When I think about kids watching a TV show like American Idol or The Voice, then they think, "Oh, OK, that's how you become a musician, you stand in line for eight ******* hours with 800 people at a convention center and... then you sing your heart out for someone and then they tell you it's not ******* good enough." Can you imagine?" he implores. "It's destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old ******** drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they'll suck, too. And then they'll ******** start playing and they'll have the best time they've ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they'll become Nirvana. Because that's exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some ****** old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-donkey ****, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don't need a ******* computer or the internet or The Voice or American Idol."

Dave Grohl 

Very unlikely to happen now though. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I suppose the fact that the winner is a good looking woman with big eyes didn't hurt her chances...

You can't say that! There are people on here who will get offended on her behalf....  😉

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately it appears that DaytonaRik has turned into his dad.

He'll be telling us pesky kids to get off his lawn next...

Far from it…but I’d rather Coldplay get an award for being to…shock…actually play an instrument than this!!!  I’m firmly with Dave…get an instrument and learn to play it…guitar,synths, piano, drums, trumpet, whatever…but not this….anything but this!!!

Edited by DaytonaRik

2 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Far from it…but I’d rather Coldplay get an award for being to…shock…actually play an instrument than this!!!  

Coldplay? I'd rather some kid with something interesting to say over a messed up Fruity Loops track got an award than that bunch, sure they can play, but what they play is so f*ck*ng bland.

There will always be music we don't like, much of it new, but it's absolutely essential that kids get to play in the sandbox without us old b*st*rds telling them to keep it down.

• Like 8

These awards tend to be for people who are singers/songwriters/producers rather than "traditional" musicians.

I'd far rather someone like PinkPantheress wins this than Coldplay, whose "songwriting" is distinctly lowest common denominator stuff and everything that makes them interesting has been done by Eno.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

"Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old ******** drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they'll suck, too. And then they'll ******** start playing and they'll have the best time they've ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they'll become Nirvana. Because that's exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some ****** old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-donkey ****, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don't need a ******* computer or the internet or The Voice or American Idol."

Dave Grohl 

Dave Grohl confirming that you don't need any discernible talent to make it big.

Just now, RhysP said:

Dave Grohl confirming that you don't need any discernible talent to make it big.

Bit harsh, you might not like his music, but there's no way you can deny he's a talented musician who fronts one of the most popular bands of the last decade, all while playing "real" instruments, occasionally with a broken leg.

2 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Bit harsh, you might not like his music, but there's no way you can deny he's a talented musician who fronts one of the most popular bands of the last decade, all while playing "real" instruments, occasionally with a broken leg.

I was referring to Nirvana.

I don't like Foo Fighters either mind, and I've never equated "popular" with "good"

• Like 1