Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cab owners, what bass amp head do you use to power it.

Gray C

1 hour ago, Gray C said:

Barefaced look like awesome lightweight cabs.

Lots of awesome.

I mainly use Aguilar, both the TH500 and AG700, but recently I've been running a Berg Forte HP, which sounds very special.

Try whatever amp are you using now. Bottom line, any amp you choose will sound great.

• Haha 1

I've used a few (OK, a lot - I've bought and sold more amps than cabs, which says something in itself), but now (and for the forseeable) I have a Mesa Walkabout into a Big Twin or Compact (or, when I'm feeling particularly epic and stacktastic, both)- the cabs put out what goes in, and it sounds fantastic. And I love them especially when loading out at 1am...

I used a BB2, SM and Berg Forte HP last night. It was loud, vibrating my diaphragm loud, but it sounded great.

I had 2 people come up and compliment the sound of the bass. After a 3 month break with that band I was rusty as hell, but no complaints on the gear front.

Edited by chris_b

I had a succession of Barefaced cabs.  Started with the first Compact shortly after they were first released then added a Midget.  That was an amazing rig.  Powerful, full range.  Then swapped these for a Supercompact for a 'one cab solution'.  Liked it so much I bought another one - yes, two one cab solutions :) just, you know, because.  Then I got a One10 for small gigs/home practise.  I liked the extra colour the cab gave so got a Two10.  Amps were varied, depending upon circumstances.  As a rule I gigged an old Trace Elliot 250 SMX, had a Mesa Boogie Prodigy Four:88 valve for a while but actually preferred the Trace Elliot.  But also, variably, Orange Terror 500, Quilter Bass Block 800, TC Electronic RH750, Genz Benz Streamliner, Tecamp Puma.   Plus a host of others.

I came to the conclusion that the more coloured the amp the better it paired with the more hifi cabs.  So my pick, for gigging, was the Supercompact (or both) with the Trace Elliot.  Or, conversely, the more hifi Tecamp Puma with the slightly coloured sound from the One10 or Two10.

Then I went down the FRFR route and left all that worry behind - which has proved to be an immensely liberating experience.  It was fun, though, trying all those different combinations.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been gigging with a midget+super compact and gk mb fusion for some time in a acoustically busy 5 piece RnB band. I couldn't easily find my place in the mix without either being too muddy or interfering with the vocals and other instruments. So i tried a bf 210 which, because of its built in low mid "bump" seemed to fit much better especially with a bf 110 on top. Since then I've got a gk legacy 800 which has a bump switch which works a treat with the 12 inch speakers (sc and midget) which i think are more versatile. I know most amps can be tweaked to give the right EQ but sometimes it's nice to just to get the right sound without the hassle.

I have a couple of options. My main one is a Rack with alembic preamps and a crown xls1502 or Synq 1K0 power amp that I use with the BTII or when using multiple cabs. I also have a Mesa boogie walkabout head that I tend to use with my BBII for a small rig.

I have a Barefaced Compact cab (15 inch speaker) which is the original model they made, and a Super Compact (12 inch speaker).

The Compact can get very loud with a 500 watt GK MB500 head through it, the Super Compact can't quite compete with a loud rock drummer when paired with the GK MB500. I ended up buying the 800 watt version of the same amp, so that I could drown out my heavy hitting drummer.

I've owned both TC Electronic cabs and Ashdown ABMs and both of those started to fart out when the volume got loud. I've never heard the tiniest fart from my Barefaced cabs, however loud things get.