Why become a member? ×

Stuff you'd avoided for aeons but have recently started getting (back) into

Barking Spiders

As a young scrote one of the first bands I got into of my own accord was U2, as opposed to half inching my older siblings vinyl. While I bought the first two LPs, from War onwards I soon became less interested which eventually turned into antipathy to the extent I gave them to a charity shop.  It's only recently I've bought the deluxe versions of those through Discogs, which have B-sides off the early 45s, and which I'm enjoying again, nearly 40 years later! I also started liking some of the later singles like It's A Beautiful Day that once would've had me reaching for the off button. Odd the way the brain/mind works!

Over to you...

• Like 1

I used to have girlish crushes on bands I'd discovered, the ones that nobody knew about.  I do find though that these bands suffer diminishing returns once they become part of the mainstream.

Much as I loved (for instance) Japan, the first two albums along with my on/off love affair with Quiet Life is enough; I honestly do not need to deep dive b-sides remixes from the later catalogue.

Just as an aside, last year I made the splendid discovery of a handful of long-dead punky/alternative bands (with little or no Wikipedia data) where I scoured Discogs to just get everything.

I play my music through my computer. I currently have 25,608 songs loaded and mostly it plays on random. I have loads of different genres and bands/performers. I do have all of the U2 back catalogue. I find that I don't hear them for ages and then because of the algorithms I hear a few at a time. I keep getting back into bands due to this. I can't possibly listen to all of my music so this is the best way I find. Its great hearing a band that I had forgotten about as it sounds fresh again. I'm not particularly a big fan of U2 but I do enjoy hearing songs on random.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubit said:

I'm not particularly a big fan of U2 but I do enjoy hearing songs on random.

I'd be interested to know what program you're using, @ubit

I use Groove Music on my PC to play a supposed random selection of covers I've loaded to play along to on bass, and the same 40 or 50 songs keep coming up over and over when it's set on random, when there's hundreds to choose from.  😟

• Like 1

Just now, musicbassman said:

I'd be interested to know what program you're using, @ubit

I use Groove Music on my PC to play a supposed random selection of covers I've loaded to play along to on bass, and the same 40 or 50 songs keep coming up over and over when it's set on random, when there's hundreds to choose from.  😟

I have a Mac mate, so it's just iTunes or Music as it's called these days. With any computer it's not completely random. You might be commenting that we haven't heard any U2 for ages then one comes on and for the next few weeks you seem to hear lots of them. I have an iPhone and it's the same in the car when I connect to bluetooth and play songs on random through that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Errrr - sorry, why not?

If your music is set on shuffle or random then that's what it should be, mathematically speaking ?

Otherwise, it's just like having a weighted roulette wheel.

Algorithms mate. The computer can't ever be truly random.Thats why you find you don't hear a band for years and then you hear one song  and then they seem to come up quite a lot for a while.

• Thanks 1

Funny U2 have just come on whilst I'm playing random music on my Mac. I was talking to Mrs Ubit yesterday about this and I was just about to say I am getting a bit sick of hearing....... and she said Stereophonics. Yes I said. She had noticed too that we are hearing too much of them lately in the car. It goes through phases and you hear a band once and then it's all the time. The only way you can halt it is to turn off the phone and start  again.

Edited by ubit

On 07/01/2022 at 09:25, ubit said:

Algorithms mate. The computer can't ever be truly random.Thats why you find you don't hear a band for years and then you hear one song  and then they seem to come up quite a lot for a while.

That is random though, or as random as a computer can get, which is effectively very random. But humans are built to detect patterns, and if there isn't one, we will make one. 

Thats why sometimes you see something, and then loads of references to that thing come up, your brain is looking for it.

Also, it is a random shuffle (like with cards), noone would want a random selection, as it would be just as likely then when you play a song, the same song would play next then any other song.

• Like 1

Stamp collecting. You should see my limited edition set featuring the wildfowl of Papua New Guinea, they really are quite spectacular.

Foil milk bottle tops. I have an interesting collection with the indentations of various birds that have attempted to break through to get to the cream. They are arranged in a nice pecking order. Simply delightful viewing.

On 07/01/2022 at 10:15, musicbassman said:

Errrr - sorry, why not?

If your music is set on shuffle or random then that's what it should be, mathematically speaking ?

Otherwise, it's just like having a weighted roulette wheel.

I understand that the manufacturers deliberately don't have it run on truly random as it can play a bunch of songs by the same artist in sequence, which the consumer then perceives as not being random.