Why become a member? ×

Bach-o didn't need 6 strings...

Kevsy71

I've just started learning Bach's Cello Suite No 1 in G major - Prelude, and assumed it would require more than 4 strings and 21 frets. Until I saw this:

I love this playing from Fabian Wendt, and his use of articial harmonics for the notes above 21st fret (Eb) led me to this excellent explanation from Johnny Cox:

https://johnnycoxmusic.com/artificial-harmonics-bass/

It'll be a while until I get to those bars though, still trying to nail bar 7 :)

• Like 3

Just seen this - very nice!  I learnt this is in A a few years back - that way you can play it without any fancy harmonics.  Although you still need a couple of extra frets.  Luckily I have a Fender Jazz (deluxe I think) that has 22 frets!  You need that last 21st for the last chord - and you can use the open bottom E which is handy.

My not so perfect version is here.  Good luck whatever key you do it in!

Edited by Phil C
typo
  • Like 1

Very well-played Phil! Also enjoyed your 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' that's linked at the end - amazing :)

I've just acquired a 6-string so have been plotting my favourite route around the fretboard for the Prelude...I'm almost fluent up to bar 11 but only if I slow down in parts (I prefer that over the fixed tempo, with apologies to Mr Bach!)                                                         

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...