Why become a member? ×

Show us your hometown talent

Grassie

Although I'm a Londoner, the last few years I've been living in a little place called Canvey Island. I believe Eddy and the Hot Rods were a Canvey band. Dr Feelgood were another Canvey band. In fact, the original Bass player (John Sparks?) is a tradesman down here. He did some work on my roof over a couple of days. When he noticed I had a small studio and was a Bassist myself, we had quite an amusing chat. 😁

do remember going around to his house to pay the bill, when he showed me quite an old Fender P Bass he was thinking of unloading on eBay.

😁

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Although I'm a Londoner, the last few years I've been living in a little place called Canvey Island. I believe Eddy and the Hot Rods were a Canvey band. Dr Feelgood were another Canvey band. In fact, the original Bass player (John Sparks?) is a tradesman down here. He did some work on my roof over a couple of days. When he noticed I had a small studio and was a Bassist myself, we had quite an amusing chat. 😁

do remember going around to his house to pay the bill, when he showed me quite an old Fender P Bass he was thinking of unloading on eBay.

😁

Saw Dr Feelgood a couple of times in the 70’s, great band. John Sparks (Sparko) was a superb bassist, very cool and understated but really good solid player. He must be getting on a bit now for doing roofing work though!

Edited by casapete
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Saw Dr Feelgood a couple of times in the 70’s, great band. John Sparks (Sparko) was a superb bassist, very cool and understated but really good solid player. He must be getting on a bit now for doing roofing work though!

It was about ten years ago. Although, come to think of it, he might of been thinking the same as you, so selling the old Precision might have been a way out..!

:D

Edited by lowdown
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Tricky, the Pop Group are Bristol I think.

Yep, both of them and F**k Buttons were formed in Brizzle. One of FB's tunes was used in the 2012 Olympic Games. There's also dance/electronica combo Kosheen, Pop Group and Pigbag contemporaries Rip Rig & Panic, The Korgis (of Everybody Has To Learn Sometime fame), the seriously underrated Blue Aeroplanes, trancey duo Way Out West (featuring DJs Nick Warren and Jody Wisterhoff), Will Gregory of Goldfrapp, Kimberley Rew of Katrina and The Waves (he wrote Walking on Sunshine), producer Nellee Hooper (most famously behind Soul II Soul), Paul Potts (tenor who won series 1 of Britain's Got Talent), Up Bustle & Out (excellent former Ninja Tune world/electronica experimentalists), experimental drum n' bass dude Third Eye Foundation.  Brizzle is where I mostly go to gigs and get my music gear) so I have quite a nerdy knowledge of the music scene there.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yep, both of them and F**k Buttons were formed in Brizzle. One of FB's tunes was used in the 2012 Olympic Games. There's also dance/electronica combo Kosheen, Pop Group and Pigbag contemporaries Rip Rig & Panic, The Korgis (of Everybody Has To Learn Sometime fame), the seriously underrated Blue Aeroplanes, trancey duo Way Out West (featuring DJs Nick Warren and Jody Wisterhoff), Will Gregory of Goldfrapp, Kimberley Rew of Katrina and The Waves (he wrote Walking on Sunshine), producer Nellee Hooper (most famously behind Soul II Soul), Paul Potts (tenor who won series 1 of Britain's Got Talent), Up Bustle & Out (excellent former Ninja Tune world/electronica experimentalists), experimental drum n' bass dude Third Eye Foundation.  Brizzle is where I mostly go to gigs and get my music gear) so I have quite a nerdy knowledge of the music scene there.

Can I add Beak (Portishead offshoot) for Bristol…. Oops I mean Brizzle😃.

On 06/01/2022 at 11:45, Jonesy said:

I'm living in Enfield and we have.....

Chas N Dave - I could stop here, because I can't better this

Adele

Dave Murray - Iron Maiden guitarist

Amy Winehouse

I thought Dave Murray grew up in Clapton, but looking up in Google he was born in Edmonton and his family moved around London.

I was born and raised in Coventry:

Adorable

Blitzkreig Zone

Bolt Thrower

Cathedral

Clint Mansell

Delia Derbyshire

Dragster

Hazel O'Connor

Ludicrous Lollipops

Martin Atkins

Russell Haswell

Terry Hall

The Enemy

The Primitives

The Selecter

The Specials

Or you could just browse here: https://sites.google.com/site/bandsfromcoventry/coventry-bands-a-to-z

I lived in Newport for about 15 years:

60ft Dolls

Cowboy Killers

Darling Buds

Desecration

Dub War

Feeder

Flyscreen

Goldie Lookin Chain

Hobgoblin

Novocaine

Pizzatramp

Punk Action Shotgun

Skindred

Where I live now:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Hereford

And Robert Plant lives in north Herefordshire...

Though it appears that the borders region tends do be where old rock stars are put out to grass!

There's Bob, then there's a member of Jethro Tull who lives next door to us.

Then there was Ronnie Lane's farm, which was just up the road near BC.

But if you ask folks round here what music you like it's either Wurzels or Quo... We don't play many local gigs!

• Like 1

London is too broad so more locally......

I was born in Heston in West London.  The most notable people to come from there were were Richie Blackmore (who moved there when he was 2) and Jimmy Page.  Ian Gillan was brought up in nearby Cranford.

I moved to Feltham when I bought my first house - Freddie Mercury grew up there, and Brian May lived there for a while, and Jimmy Page moved there when he was young as did Vic Briggs of the Animals.

I moved to Pinner who's notable former residents include Elton John. Simon Le Bon went to school here although he grew up a few miles away (he still visits my local pub on occasion) and Scouting For Girls are quite local.  The Ruts are from Northolt, Billy Idol was born in Stanmore.  

None of this trumps Mrs Nicko's claim to fame.  Her brother used to deliver Elvis Costello's paper.  Cait O'Riordan (Costello's one time squeeze and bass player with the Pogues) lived locally and I went to youth club with her brother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

I was born and raised in Coventry:

Adorable

Blitzkreig Zone

Bolt Thrower

Cathedral

Clint Mansell

Delia Derbyshire

Dragster

Hazel O'Connor

Ludicrous Lollipops

Martin Atkins

Russell Haswell

Terry Hall

The Enemy

The Primitives

The Selecter

The Specials

Or you could just browse here: https://sites.google.com/site/bandsfromcoventry/coventry-bands-a-to-z

I lived in Newport for about 15 years:

60ft Dolls

Cowboy Killers

Darling Buds

Desecration

Dub War

Feeder

Flyscreen

Goldie Lookin Chain

Hobgoblin

Novocaine

Pizzatramp

Punk Action Shotgun

Skindred

Where I live now:

Another band from Coventry who reached number 1: Lt. Pigeon

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 19:45, tegs07 said:

Bristol: Massive Attack, Portishead, Idles, Roni Size, Yola, 2/3rds of Banarama. I’m sure there’s loads I’ve left off.

Edit: Thanks to contributions will add:

The Brilliant corners

Claytown Troupe

Gary Clail (on-u sound system)

Nick Kershaw

Wayne Hussey

Tricky

Roland Orzibal (Tears for Fears)

The Pop Group

The drummer from The Brilliant corners is a very good friend of mine, and I used to be in a band with the guitarists brother. 

• Like 1

My hometown is Tonbridge in Kent, bit scarce for local talent but both Keane and Justin Chancellor went to Tonbridge School, and the bloke who used to play guitar in Psychedelic Furs used to live across the street from me.

Tunbridge Wells is a bit better: home to Anti-Nowhere League, Shane McGowan of the Pogues used to live there, and so did Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience apparently (according to my stepdad who used to drink with him down the pub...)

• Like 1