Why become a member? ×

Show us your hometown talent

Grassie

Where I'm from, a little (ex) mining town in the Dearne valley, almost nowt... Except Steve Dawson from Saxon used to drop his kid off at my junior school either in a Lincoln Continental (which was somewhat conspicuous at the time), or a van that resembled the one that the A-Team had.

Where I am now, George Michael and Andrew Ridgely met at a school a few minutes from here.

• Like 1

I'm a scouser so I'll leave it at that. I now split my time between Leamington Spa and Stroud in Gloucs. Viz Leam there's Banco da Gaia (whose music I'm very partial to) and errm Aleister Crowley. I dunno much about them but the Edgar Broughton Band are from Warwick which merges into Leam. As for Stroud, hmm can't find any of note. I lived in Cheltenham for 15 years previously -the longest time I've spent in any one place -which does a bit better with Gustav Holst, Brian Jones, Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke, FKA Twigs, Richard O' Brien of Rocky Horror and The Crystal Maze fame and Pigbag whose one big hit still gets regular airplay.

I forgot the lovely Sade. She's not from the area originally but for a long time she's been living in a village near Stroud so I'll take that. While the area doesn't boast many musos there are loads of famous thesps and other slebs living around and about.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm a scouser so I'll leave it at that. I now split my time between Leamington Spa and Stroud in Gloucs. Viz Leam there's Banco da Gaia (whose music I'm very partial to) and errm Aleister Crowley. I dunno much about them but the Edgar Broughton Band are from Warwick which merges into Leam. As for Stroud, hmm can't find any of note. I lived in Cheltenham for 15 years previously -the longest time I've spent in any one place -which does a bit better with Gustav Holst, Brian Jones, Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke, FKA Twigs, Richard O' Brien of Rocky Horror and The Crystal Maze fame and Pigbag whose one big hit still gets regular airplay.

Leamington had Sharks for a few years. Great band who I had the pleasure of seeing many times:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfacefour said:

Didn't know stereo MCs were from ruddington!

And pinski zoo were amazing. My introduction to a wider world of modern jazz with a punk spirit.

I take it you spent some time in Nottingham? Were you in a band there?

I was at school with Rob Birch and Nick Hallam.

I saw Pinski Zoo lots of times during their weekly Friday Night residency at The Hearty Goodfellow. Anyone could get a support with them provided that they came to a gig and stayed to the end of the set. For many of us it was the only opportunity to get a "weekend" gig if you weren't playing rock covers.

42 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I take it you spent some time in Nottingham? Were you in a band there?

I was at school with Rob Birch and Nick Hallam.

I saw Pinski Zoo lots of times during their weekly Friday Night residency at The Hearty Goodfellow. Anyone could get a support with them provided that they came to a gig and stayed to the end of the set. For many of us it was the only opportunity to get a "weekend" gig if you weren't playing rock covers.

I grew up there, I was in various teenage bands until I left in 96. Played a lot at the narrowboat and the old angel, and various other pubs I can't remember the name of.

I can't remember where I saw PZ. The Hearty Goodfellow was a real strange venue as far as I remember.

Edited by Fishfacefour

1 hour ago, petebassist said:

County Durham

Gem Archer (guitarist with Oasis)

Martha (from Pity Me)

Prefab Sprout (from Witton Gilbert)

Voorhees

Trevor Horn (of The Buggles)

Penetration

My best mate’s from Witton Gilbert, he was always on about Prefab Sprout. Think at least one of them went to his local college too.

• Like 2

Being from a small town in Wiltshire we have no real notable births from the world of rock / pop. Apparently Carl McCoy from Fields of the Nephilim lived here briefly after the initial successful period of the band, as did Pete Doherty. Oh and Mick & Keef popped in for tea once, a true story by all accounts. 

• Like 1

Bristol: Massive Attack, Portishead, Idles, Roni Size, Yola, 2/3rds of Banarama. I’m sure there’s loads I’ve left off.

Edit: Thanks to contributions will add:

The Brilliant corners

Claytown Troupe

Gary Clail (on-u sound system)

Nick Kershaw

Wayne Hussey

Tricky

Roland Orzibal (Tears for Fears)

The Pop Group

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Nottingham:

Stereo MCs (posh boys from Ruddington)

Tindersticks (an amalgamation of two far more interesting bands)

Both bands had to move away from Nottingham and all but deny any connection with the place before they became successful.

There's also been a series of one-hit wonders, novelty acts and minor indie bands none of whom are worth a mention.

Nottingham has always been a weird place when it comes to mainstream success as a musician/band. The late 70s/early 80s produced plenty of contenders who should have been massive but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Anyone remember Medium Medium (signed to Cherry Red), 23 Jewels (had a single of the week in NME), 1,000,000 Fuzz-tone Guitars, The Howdy Boys, None So Blind (their debut single was produced by Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics) or Pinski Zoo?

There’s Pitchshifter and Six By Seven.

More recently there’s also Jake Bugg and Sleaford Mods.

Also Bruce Dickinson is from north Notts.

Plus Consumed who were on Fat Wreck Chords in the ‘90s.

• Like 1

Kingston upon Hull and surrounding area has produced some great talent - some home grown and some based here for a while. These include :

Mick Ronson, Trevor Bolder, Woody Woodmansey - The Spiders from Mars

John Cambridge - a good friend of mine who played drums with David Bowie pre Spiders, and introduced Mick Ronson to Bowie.

Everything but the Girl

The Housemartins

The Beautiful South

Kingmaker

Red Guitars ( recently reformed)

The Watersons

Throbbing Gristle ( Genesis P.Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti)

Roland Gift ( of The Fine Young Cannibals )

The Rats - legendary local band who featured many great musicians including Mick Ronson.

Lene Lovich

Sade - some of the band members.

Also David Whitfield , Joe Longthorne and Ronnie Hilton.

Edited by casapete
Spelling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Bristol: Massive Attack, Portishead, Idles, Roni Size, Yola, 2/3rds of Banarama. I’m sure there’s loads I’ve left off.

Although associated with Leeds, Mission / ex-Sisters of Mercy guitarist / singer Wayne Hussey is from Bristol too. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Edit: Thanks to contributions will add:

The Brilliant corners

Claytown Troupe

Gary Clail (on-u sound system)

Nick Kershaw

Wayne Hussey

Tricky

Roland Orzibal (Tears for Fears)

The Pop Group

I'd add Startled Insects, Glaxo Babies, Maximum Joy, Smith and Mighty, Nellee Hooper, Stackridge, and Russ Conway...

• Like 1