Why become a member? ×

Show us your hometown talent

Grassie

Morning!

Exciting times here on the little ol' Isle of Wight - local heroes Wet Leg are currently smashing it, with one or two others bubbling under. Got me thinking about our musical heritage, and how many great musicians and bands managed to get on the ferry and live the dream. So, who are your hometown heroes? Obviously the London/Liverpool/Manchester contingents are going to be strong, but what about the small towns, or villages even? Here are the IOW's finest:

Wet Leg

Coach Party

Snowy White

David Steele (The Beat / Fine Young Cannibals)

Jet Harris

Richard Taylor

Grade 2

The Bees

Jon Thorne

Stu Fisher (Ozric Tentacles / Hole)

Nicholas "Razzle" Dingley (Hanoi Rocks)

Mark King

Phil and Boon Gould

Delta T

Go! :)

PS: love the fact that BC autocorrects "D1ck Taylor" to "Richard Taylor"..... Good job F@nny Craddock wasn't from the island....

Edited by Grassie
  • Like 1

Nottingham:

Stereo MCs (posh boys from Ruddington)

Tindersticks (an amalgamation of two far more interesting bands)

Both bands had to move away from Nottingham and all but deny any connection with the place before they became successful.

There's also been a series of one-hit wonders, novelty acts and minor indie bands none of whom are worth a mention.

Nottingham has always been a weird place when it comes to mainstream success as a musician/band. The late 70s/early 80s produced plenty of contenders who should have been massive but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Anyone remember Medium Medium (signed to Cherry Red), 23 Jewels (had a single of the week in NME), 1,000,000 Fuzz-tone Guitars, The Howdy Boys, None So Blind (their debut single was produced by Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics) or Pinski Zoo?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Nottingham:

Both bands had to move away from Nottingham and all but deny any connection with the place before they became successful.

There's also been a series of one-hit wonders, novelty acts and minor indie bands none of whom are worth a mention.

Nottingham has always been a weird place when it comes to mainstream success as a musician/band. The late 70s/early 80s produced plenty of contenders who should have been massive but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Anyone remember Medium Medium (signed to Cherry Red), 23 Jewels (had a single of the week in NME), 1,000,000 Fuzz-tone Guitars, The Howdy Boys, None So Blind (their debut single was produced by Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics) or Pinski Zoo?

Don't you have Sleaford Mods currently flying the Nottingham flag?

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Nottingham:

Six by seven are from nottingham I think? one of my favourite bands back in the day. always had amazing support acts as well.

Doggen is from nottingham as well- amazing talent

3 minutes ago, Stu-khag said:

Six by seven are from nottingham I think? one of my favourite bands back in the day. always had amazing support acts as well.

Doggen is from nottingham as well- amazing talent

I once had the misfortune to be in the rehearsal room next door to the one occupied by Six By Seven. They were so loud that it was impossible for us to practice while they were playing. I also saw them on their local gig for the tour they had been practicing for. The opening number was massively impressive, unfortunately they decided to follow this with one where one of the guitarists swapped guitars for one that didn't appear to be working. After several minutes of mucking about they finally managed to get a sound out of it, but by then all that initial momentum was lost (and the replacement guitar sounded exactly the same as the previous one). IIRC I left before the end of the gig.

I'd never heard of Doggen , and after looking him up know why. Another musician who had to move away from Nottingham to be successful.

Leicester (where I live):

Kasabian

Easy Life

Englebert Humperdinck 

Mark Morrison

Cornershop

Showaddywaddy

John Deacon 

Swansea (where I’m from):

Badfinger

Cerys Matthews 

Man

Hybrid

Bonnie Tyler

Dire Straits drummer Terry Williams

Spencer Davis (him out of the Spencer Davis Group…)

Edited by bassbiscuits
Remembered another one!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Hemel Hempstead

Dave Vanian - singer of The Damned

John McKay - guitarist, Siouxsie & The Banshees

Jocasta - Indie band from the 90s

And me of course!

Ahh Lozz ya beat me to it..was gonna add you too!!  I'm much too modest to add myself of course..........

Google also show Mickey Broome, a fellow bass player!

• Haha 1