Why become a member? ×

Are the necks of Hofner violin basses the same width in the first fret as in the last? . Is there a bass like that?

BELA

Sometines I wonder why the neck gets wider as it gets to the body and if it wouldn't be better if it had the same width all over. 

Seems to me that the Hofners could be close to that.

Any info would be appreciated 

Edited by BELA

• BELA changed the title to Are the necks of Hofner violin basses the same width in the first fret as in the last? . Is there a bass like that?

I was wondering the same thing recently and it's surprising how much of a difference a few mm makes when you get up the dusty end.

From what I understand, there's basically a couple of reasons why necks get wider.

Neck stability - a neck that's wider at the body and tapers toward the nut will have a more even strain on the neck all the way along its length, whereas a straighter neck will put more strain on the neck where it joins the body. 

The amount of space strings need at different points of the neck - strings move/vibrate less nearer the nut/where they're fretted than they do further toward your plucking hand. If necks didn't get wider then strings may clatter together when you play them.

I'm not sure if any bass has a parallel neck, but my Ric is the closest I've seen to it. I can't remember the exact measurements, but I think it only widens by about a cm from nut to 12th fret.

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BELA said:

Sometines I wonder why the neck gets wider as it gets to the body and if it wouldn't be better if it had the same width all over. 

I have a Hofner club bass and I measured the neck a while ago and it was around 43m at the nut and went up to 48mm so slightly wider but not much, only reason I dont play it more is that if you become too accustomed to the Hofner string spacing everything else feels really clunky in comparison

• Thanks 1

So, I've just had a look and my basses read as follows for width at the nut and 12th fret........

Gibson SG - 40mm/54mm

G&L SB2 Tribute - 38mm/54mm

G&L JB Tribute - 38mm/54mm

Fender MIJ P - 40mm/56mm

Ric - 44mm/54mm 

Not sure if that helps?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

So, I've just had a look and my basses read as follows for width at the nut and 12th fret........

Gibson SG - 40mm/54mm

G&L SB2 Tribute - 38mm/54mm

G&L JB Tribute - 38mm/54mm

Fender MIJ P - 40mm/56mm

Ric - 44mm/54mm 

Not sure if that helps?

Yes, thanks!. That is pretty much standard except for the Ric which is only 1cm wider at 12th. but that is because is very wide at the nut. 44mm for a 4 string...ouch!

1 hour ago, BELA said:

Yes, thanks!. That is pretty much standard except for the Ric which is only 1cm wider at 12th. but that is because is very wide at the nut. 44mm for a 4 string...ouch!

The Ric is a weird one, generally I like thinner necks, but the Ric is one of my favourite necks to play. I think the combination of the shorter scale length and it being fairly shallow front to back make up for the width.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BELA said:

Are you asking about the width of the neck, or the width of the four strings - i.e. from E to G?

My 1963 500/1 is 40mm at the nut and 46mm at the 12th fret (so not really parallel), and the string width is 33mm at the nut and 37mm at the 12th fret.

• Thanks 1

Hi! Of the 400+ gear review videos I've recorded, no bass has ever had a parallel neck, including the Violin basses. The closest spacing I've worked with so far is 14mm string to string at the bridge. a 6 string bass with a 54mm nut width.  

• Thanks 1

It seems to be a particular feature of German 1950’s - ‘60’s basses and guitars to have necks with very little taper from nut to bridge; also lots of pearloid!*.  I had a 1960’s Framus Grand Star archtop 6-string with a near parallel neck, and the neck on my mid-‘60’s Vox Wyman is basically like a broom handle sawn in half lengthwise, which I believe was Bill Wyman’s preference at the time, being used to his Framus basses.   Seems odd at first when you’re used to a conventionally tapered neck, but you do get used to it.

* edit: also most seem to use the zero-fret design, which I’ve always thought quite a sensible one....

Edited by Shaggy
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Are you asking about the width of the neck, or the width of the four strings - i.e. from E to G?

My 1963 500/1 is 40mm at the nut and 46mm at the 12th fret (so not really parallel), and the string width is 33mm at the nut and 37mm at the 12th fret.

I guess neck width

5 hours ago, Dood said:

Hi! Of the 400+ gear review videos I've recorded, no bass has ever had a parallel neck, including the Violin basses. The closest spacing I've worked with so far is 14mm string to string at the bridge. a 6 string bass with a 54mm nut width.  

The Ibanez GVB36 possibly? That's 14mm spacing - barely widens at all from first to last.

• Thanks 1