Why become a member? ×

Easy to use preamp

Thunderbird

I'm going to try the cheap behringer Bdi21 to see if I like a preamp I'm not exactly sure of the sound I want which I guess doesn't help much I would just like more options and tones at hand I think 

If I like the behringer I would probably think of upgrading( I tried the behringer in the past but really didn't give it a fair chance) but some of the more expensive units seem really complicated with knobs and switches everywhere I'm a simple chap and just want something easy to use with minimal controls any ideas guys? 

I won't be buying just yet so no rush 👍

I found the key to the BDI21 (and the Sansamp on which it's based) is the blend knob.

Another budget preamp is the original Hartke VXL Bass Attack. Great sounding preamp for all sorts of sounds and built like a tank.

Of course if simple is what you're after there's always the Noble... if you have deep pockets...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

The MXR81 seems to get a lot of love on here Thunderbird.

It’s a good little pedal, very easy to use, I recently bought one but will be moving it on as sticking with my Ashdown OriginAL which is more “me”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the simplest but best is the Sadowsky SBP 2. Just volume, bass and treble but it is the same pre amp you get in their basses. Just £91 delivered from Thomann. I had the SBP 1 version with the xlr out and should never have sold it.

Damm it, gonna buy one right now :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

One of the simplest but best is the Sadowsky SBP 2. Just volume, bass and treble but it is the same pre amp you get in their basses. Just £91 delivered from Thomann. I had the SBP 1 version with the xlr out and should never have sold it.

Damm it, gonna buy one right now :D

I concur with this statement, none more basic yet effective.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Overly coplicated pedals was the main reason for me getting the Bassbone.

At first glance I was wondering how the hell I was going to work out how to use it but realistically I all I need to do is plug my bass into channel 2 and use the 4 controls in yellow. That's it, essentially a 3 band EQ with a volume control. It can do loads of stuff but that's all I need it to do

You'll probably find that there are a lot of other pedals that also seem complicated but if you just focus on the section you need then the rest may be incidental and not necesssary to use immediately

Bassbone.jpg

Edited by Delberthot

Not forgetting the TC Electronic Spectradrive. 4 band eq, plus a compressor and switchable overdrive. What I like about it is the toneprint capabilities for the comp and drive, so you're not stuck with one flavour. That and it's a DI, and has a headphone output plus a mini jack input for play-a-longs.

I think it depends on what you want from a preamp as it seems quite an interchangeable catch-all term:

Some are like the one control crimson red which are simple and just add specific amp tones, or there are more fancy ones in that category like the Broughton ones. And some are basically an overdrive pedal. 

Or there are the combined DI/EQ/Preamp things like the Sansamp, or some that throw everything in like the Microbass 3.

Or ones that don't really add any colour - just EQ/DI like the Q-Strip or MXR M81. 

Most amp companies make a pedal that approximates their sound, usually with similar features. Outside of that I like the MXR M80 and the Sansamp Paradriver, both are really simple, analogue, easy wysiwyg devices. 

I have to say that the thing I'm enjoying about the TC Electronic stuff is the toneprint technology. So without having to buy into a multi fx, the Spectradrive basically gives you access to all their overdrives, distortion and fuzz, and a bunch of expertly programmed comp presets, plus it's simply to use. 

The Hartke VXL is a great preamp pedal, it is really intuitive to use once you find that "harmonics" means "drive". However, the secret is out and they don't appear regularly at £30-£50 like they used to. Have seen more around the £80 and upwards mark on eBay in the last few years.