Why become a member? ×

Status graphite necks

Hutton

7 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Somewhere on my computer, there's a photo of a matt-black and de-chromed Jazz bass with a Status StingRay neck on it, which looked the nuts. 

As the Stingray neck is 1/2" or 12mm longer than a Jazz neck, there's a T*lkb*ss link below covering the process (the owner installed a Bad*ss bridge which allowed significant adjustment, rather than resitting the existing bridge forward).

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/its-finished-introducing-the-status-jazzray-bass-long-post-with-pics.376597/  The

Interesting you say ‘looked the nuts’ they certainly do and that’s exactly what I think but I thought at £440 ish that’s almost half a decent S/H American P or Stingray. 

49 minutes ago, roger said:

Interesting you say ‘looked the nuts’ they certainly do and that’s exactly what I think but I thought at £440 ish that’s almost half a decent S/H American P or Stingray. 

Bit of an odd comparison matching a new graphite neck to a used bass.

There will always be an additional premium for new, or a significant discount for used, whichever way you wish to look at it.

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Bit of an odd comparison matching a new graphite neck to a used bass.

There will always be an additional premium for new, or a significant discount for used, whichever way you wish to look at it.

Purely from a cost point of view and whether or not you’ll end up with a ‘better’ bass

I've had a fretted (and now have a fretless) Status graphite neck on my USA SUB. They're phenomenal in quality and construction. They basically turn everything you like about a bass, up to 11. Added benefits of tuning stability, clarity, harmonic content and growl.

On 06/01/2022 at 08:17, Hutton said:

I can’t be bothered with shops that are too lazy to update their sites. I’ll not be perusing the bass gallery in the future. Enough time wasted as it is.

I bought my Bogart Blackstone from the Gallery (also a graphite necked bass, as it happens). They had the listing on the website for months afterwards showing as 'sold' but it still stayed in the searchable listings. I would regularly browse their website at work to see the images of my bass that had been sat in my living room for the last year! They had said a long time ago that they wer looking into a means to catalogue and display their sold basses rather than just leaving them on the main gallery page, it seems nothing ever came of that. 

Bogart SKC Blackstone https://imgur.com/gallery/INc1d6D

cUIBZaf.jpeg

Edited by Chris2112
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I bought my Bogart Blackstone from the Gallery (also a graphite necked bass, as it happens). They had the listing on the website for months afterwards showing as 'sold' but it still stayed in the searchable listings. I would regularly browse their website at work to see the images of my bass that had been sat in my living room for the last year! They had said a long time ago that they wer looking into a means to catalogue and display their sold basses rather than just leaving them on the main gallery page, it seems nothing ever came of that. 

Bogart SKC Blackstone https://imgur.com/gallery/INc1d6D

cUIBZaf.jpeg

The Gallery do have a facility for filtering out sold items, but that’s only as good as updating the individual pages.

On 08/01/2022 at 09:33, Hutton said:

I don’t see why the Gallery don’t simply remove a bass from the website when it’s sold. Bass Direct remove items quickly once they are sold. As I said before I suspect it’s just laziness.

Annoying right?…. And if you came earlier this is what you could have!  Bass direct are just as guilty.

On 06/01/2022 at 17:22, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I had little joy from my Streamline. Focussing purely on the mechanical qualities that might affect a neck:

On mine, the phenolic fretboard started to de-laminate, and the lacquer cracked behind the bridge.  Most expensive bass I've ever purchased. Biggest disappointment.

Everything in status is handmade … so if you get the trainees first proper attempt things might  go a little pearshaped….just send it out and hope it’s accepted. I have also seen shoddy work come out of wal from their trainee who ironically is now their main man. 

the net is full of perfectly fine secondhand status necks so your experience is probably a rare exception although I have also witnessed fraying edges on their fret boards… but this is where the first owner (unpaid final inspection checker) needs to send it back but rarely ever does if it’s just cosmetic…. You might even be advised to remove any finger rings upon raising the issue which is basically code for wear and tear which then takes us into the one word against another scenario…lol.

I don’t think I can remember a brand new bass that didn’t have one or two minor flaws..

Surface chipped edges status can easily fix.

Edited by Musicman666

I had a miserable experience with a Status neck. It's put me off Status for life. Which is a bit of a shame as I'd probably have commissioned a bass from them otherwise.

I understand that things can slip through - but it's how that its handled that is the important bit. It took the input of another luthier to call them to help change their minds.

Also, being told "if it's good enough for Pino, it's good enough for you", isn't going to win you any business is it? 

28 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Also, being told "if it's good enough for Pino, it's good enough for you", isn't going to win you any business is it? 

Wow.. it’s a shame because the quality bar a few exceptions is second to none, just needs to be a bit more humble when things inevitably do go wrong.

On 08/01/2022 at 09:33, Hutton said:

I don’t see why the Gallery don’t simply remove a bass from the website when it’s sold. Bass Direct remove items quickly once they are sold. As I said before I suspect it’s just laziness.

I looked at that P bass, but a previous encounter with that shop put me clean off. Bought an SR5 from them, maple/natural. Photos didn't look too bad, a bit of light scuffing but nothing out of the ordinary. Even phoned up and asked for further details, and the bass was confirmed to be in "good" condition. Upon arrival, it was an absolute dog, full of nasty dings and bashes, and full on cracks in the lacquer. VERY poorly set up too. 

I've no doubt they've sold many great basses, but that one experience was enough to put me off using them again. Sorry to hear you missed out on that P though, it did look lovely!

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 15:45, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Status website says they will accept orders for necks

Missed your post about this H,  yes as long as its a stock item.  I've been in contact with  Dawn in the last week,  and they are not taking custom orders.  If anyone wants a neck, it has to be a stock item.  I wanted a Jazz neck, no front dots, and 14mm  machine head holes.  They only had necks with front dots and headstock holes drilled for  17mm machine heads. 

She told me it would be at least a couple of months before they'll take orders again, but she couldnt be specific on which month.  Just have to keep an eye on the webbsite for an update message

• Like 1

That's what took the longest time when building my current bass with Status neck and Warmoth body.

The thing that I wasn't expecting was that as soon as you drill through the carbon fibre to make the holes for the tuners it feels like there is nothing but air in the middle so you suddenly go from lots of resistance to none. Luckily I still have quite quick reaction times so I was able to stop before I ended up drilling all the way through to the front.

After reading a lot about how to work with these necks, mainly on this forum, I chose a drill size larger than I normally would have used with wood. I even bought digital callipers so that I could get the drill as close to the size of the screws as I could. Also, use new drills, or at least very sharp ones.

Easily the most terrifying part of putting it all together but well worth it

• Thanks 1