Why become a member? ×

Status graphite necks

Hutton

42 minutes ago, fleabag said:

The quality will be top notch, but they only make 3 -  Jazz, Precision or Musicman.

Which are you are after ?

I'm looking at a precision which has a status neck fitted. Many thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

I had one on an OLP Stingray 5. It was fantastic and the whole bass sounded amazing - but I'm not really a 5 string player (or a player at all!). IME graphite necks make everything about the bass more even and clearer - for better or worse, depending on what you want to achieve. Buying used, make sure the neck as been properly installed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Status website says they will accept orders for necks, although the OP seems to be looking at a bass with one already fitted.

You are absolutely right. I am looking at a bass that already has the neck installed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hutton said:

You are absolutely right. I am looking at a bass that already has the neck installed.

Someone mentioned there about installation and how it should be properly done... I think there was more to it than drilling it on, although I'm pretty sure my SR5 was and it seemed fine although the relief didn't go completely flat despite truss rod adjustment (not caused by poor installation mind you)

44 minutes ago, Geddys nose said:

Thats a good looking bass the one you are looking at 😉

20 minutes ago, Hutton said:

It's all now academic as the bass was already sold and just hadn't been marked as such. Not to worry. There will be something around to tempt me before long.

I think we need a photo or link - even though it has sold.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ped said:

Someone mentioned there about installation and how it should be properly done... I think there was more to it than drilling it on, although I'm pretty sure my SR5 was and it seemed fine although the relief didn't go completely flat despite truss rod adjustment (not caused by poor installation mind you)

Yes definitely. One of mine already came fitted with it by the manufacturer and the other one I persuaded Rob Green to do.

I enquired about this weeks ago and it was sold then! “Ah yeh, sorry we haven’t updated the website” 🤦

I’ve been looking into a status neck for a while for a bitsa project and read comments about ‘sustain’ etc but I see that you actually drill through into a block of wood in the heel! Doesn’t that make it a wooden neck wrapped in graphite??😀🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, roger said:

I enquired about this weeks ago and it was sold then! “Ah yeh, sorry we haven’t updated the website” 🤦

I’ve been looking into a status neck for a while for a bitsa project and read comments about ‘sustain’ etc but I see that you actually drill through into a block of wood in the heel! Doesn’t that make it a wooden neck wrapped in graphite??😀🤷‍♂️

I can’t be bothered with shops that are too lazy to update their sites. I’ll not be perusing the bass gallery in the future. Enough time wasted as it is.

• Like 1

Somewhere on my computer, there's a photo of a matt-black and de-chromed Jazz bass with a Status StingRay neck on it, which looked the nuts. 

As the Stingray neck is 1/2" or 12mm longer than a Jazz neck, there's a T*lkb*ss link below covering the process (the owner installed a Bad*ss bridge which allowed significant adjustment, rather than resitting the existing bridge forward).

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/its-finished-introducing-the-status-jazzray-bass-long-post-with-pics.376597/  The