Why become a member? ×

Maybe Everyone In The USA Isn't Dim After All...

Jason Karloff

5 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

Well I genuinely hope that all people who were bullied are able to not let it affect them in later life. 

I only got the occasional comment of Konk Face from our geography teacher. 

My mate was bullied terribly at school. It doesn’t affect him at all now.

He hung himself at 19 so I guess that’s ok………….

• Sad 3

Junior high school bully was a big fat kid who liked to shoulder charge smaller kids on the way to classes. One day I decided I'd had enough of that and side stepped him while helping him on his way to the lockers and he hit his head knocking himself silly. So I got in trouble for scrapping instead of reporting him. Can't win. He did stop picking on me though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, T-Bay said:

My mate was bullied terribly at school. It doesn’t affect him at all now.

He hung himself at 19 so I guess that’s ok………….

That's so incredibly sad. 

Some people, like the OP, don't or can't understand that certain words can affect someone and when they're exposed in that environment time and time again, it really hurts them. 

Bit of an old skool mentality, especially in this thread. A lot of boys (boys, not men) who try to pass off hurtful words as 'banter'. To me, banter is a way of covering up your own insecurities but trying to come off as the 'tough' one. 

Mental health is no joke. Would you tell anyone who has served in the armed forces and suffers from PTSD to 'man up'? 

• Like 4

Way to blow a light hearted thread title way out of context....

This has nothing to do with banter and to link it to persecution of gingers, PTSD and mental health is to give it far too much credence.

I was already thinking that most people in the UK are 'a bit dim'. This thread isn't changing my mind....

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

Well I genuinely hope that all people who were bullied are able to not let it affect them in later life. 

I only got the occasional comment of Konk Face from our geography teacher. 

I had it all going at school - ginger, fat,  glasses, squeaky voice, braces on teeth...etc etc.

The only thing I don't have now are the braces.....

The only saving grace for me was around 16 I suddenly had a growth spurt and ended up 6'3 whilst still stocky/fat.  It was too late for school but helped me gain a presence to stop some (but not all) cowards being silly and having a go later in life.  I also moved around a lot from the age of 18 so was able to reinvent myself each time.

One kid at school in particular was horrible - I recently I saw him pop up on FB as the boyfriend of a girl I know that we both went to school with.

It brought all the feelings and anxiety flooding back, and my hackles still rise when photos of them appear on my feed.

I think you learn to deal with it, but you never get over it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cetera said:

I was already thinking that most people in the UK are 'a bit dim'. This thread isn't changing my mind....

Indeed a slightly racist thread title on a public facing area of the Forum. 

Nice. 

Obviously it doesn't represent most of the views of the members. 

Could someone end this thread and put it out of its misery. I’ve never met the OP but from his posts he doesn’t appear to be a vindictive soul just has a wry sense of humour and doesn’t take life too seriously.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

I never said bodged and American still isn't a race.

I didn't say Xenophic either. 😆

It's covered under racial discrimination as a nationality. Maybe read the link?

Edited by TimR

1 hour ago, TimR said:

I didn't say Xenophic either. 😆

It's covered under racial discrimination as a nationality. Maybe read the link?

Are we going to continually go around with this? American isn't a race. Period. Doesn't matter what some link says.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubit said:

Are we going to continually go around with this? American isn't a race. Period. Doesn't matter what some link says.

We can do if you like.

American is a nationality not a race. 

However, discriminating on someone's Nationality is covered under race discrimination laws. Where it is illegal to discriminate someone according to race OR nationality.

As it says in the link.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TimR said:

We can do if you like.

American is a nationality not a race. 

However, discriminating on someone's Nationality is covered under race discrimination laws. Where it is illegal to discriminate someone according to race OR nationality.

As it says in the link.

So Ubit was right, and bringing in some other point is irrelevant. Ok. Got it.

• Like 1

"His majesty, in another audience, was at the pains to recapitulate the sum of all I had spoken; compared the questions he made with the answers I had given; then taking me into his hands, and stroking me gently, delivered himself in these words, which I shall never forget, nor the manner he spoke them in: “My little friend Grildrig, you have made a most admirable panegyric upon your country; you have clearly proved, that ignorance, idleness, and vice, are the proper ingredients for qualifying a legislator; that laws are best explained, interpreted, and applied, by those whose interest and abilities lie in perverting, confounding, and eluding them. I observe among you some lines of an institution, which, in its original, might have been tolerable, but these half erased, and the rest wholly blurred and blotted by corruptions. It does not appear, from all you have said, how any one perfection is required toward the procurement of any one station among you; much less, that men are ennobled on account of their virtue; that priests are advanced for their piety or learning; soldiers, for their conduct or valour; judges, for their integrity; senators, for the love of their country; or counsellors for their wisdom. As for yourself,” continued the king, “who have spent the greatest part of your life in travelling, I am well disposed to hope you may hitherto have escaped many vices of your country. But by what I have gathered from your own relation, and the answers I have with much pains wrung and extorted from you, I cannot but conclude the bulk of your natives to be the most pernicious race of little odious vermin that nature ever suffered to crawl upon the surface of the earth.”

Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels: Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World.

1726, Swift may have well written it yesterday. We're not in the position to point the finger at anyone.

40 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

So Ubit was right, and bringing in some other point is irrelevant. Ok. Got it.

No. It's racial discrimination to discriminate anyone according to their race or natationality. If you discriminate according to nationality you are still discriminating under the racial discrimination umbrella. Regardless of what you want to call it in layman's terms, or hide by pretending it's xenophobia and not illegal, the law says it is racial discrimination and is illegal.