Why become a member? ×

Maybe Everyone In The USA Isn't Dim After All...

Jason Karloff

6 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Context is, in fact, not everything. Language is designed in such a way that words do have exact meanings, which are consistent. You can quote context to say that yellow is green, but would, in fact, be inaccurate. Woke culture suggests that words, facts, etc are subject to contextually based definitions. Many of us would disagree. 

"Woke" appears to be a term which now encompasses all non-bigots. WTF does "woke culture" mean?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

You know this is the worst part. The waiting. All the cretins have gone quiet. They have stopped charging our positions. 

Then all of sudden in a few hours some wally will stumble into view with a "I think rascism is a blot on humanity" 

Thanks. Hadn't considered that position. 

If we're doing alternative spellings, you should consider "facist" as well.

3 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Naturally- I was rather proud to have squeezed that little paraprosdokian into one line.

That's the joy of the English language- it has a certain... je ne sais quois.

It is the lingua franca, after all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tauzero said:

"Woke" appears to be a term which now encompasses all non-bigots. WTF does "woke culture" mean?

I’m quite sure the non-bigots of 2022 will be judged on their shortcomings by their  more enlightened peers in 2080. History has a way of making buffoons of us all.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

I am not a bigot, but I wouldn't call myself "woke" iether. As I suspect 90% of the UK population are as well, I am just an ordinary person trying to live his life and trying to get on with people rather than plss them off.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, tegs07 said:

To be fair I have no idea what a hoovercraft is. If it suck’s rather than blows the OPs plums are perfectly safe. 

I think it is something do do those black SUVs the FBI use.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Well, he suggested this thread was racist. Which, if it was, would outrage and offend me.

Ah. So people are offended because they think other people are offended.

Think that's my original point...

No one is actually offended, it's just people letting their imagination run away with them. 

9 hours ago, leschirons said:

I got a bit lost with all that so, just to clarify, are we still allowed to call dim people dim? Or not?

absolutely, just not the whole nation (or race), apparently it's very bad form to tell Irish jokes these days, or at least the ones that infer all the Irish are a bit dim  

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

absolutely, just not the whole nation (or race), apparently it's very bad form to tell Irish jokes these days, or at least the ones that infer all the Irish are a bit dim  

[pedant alert]. 

The joke might 'imply' all the Irish are a bit dim.  You might infer it when you heard it.

[/pedant alert] :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2022 at 19:18, tauzero said:

On the contrary, many of the more extreme "woke" are themselves bigots, displaying very high levels of intolerance for those whose views differ from their own.

• Like 3

On 09/01/2022 at 00:30, leschirons said:

I got a bit lost with all that so, just to clarify, are we still allowed to call dim people dim? Or not?

Or in the case of the thread title....are we still allowed to say not all people are dim? ;)

On 09/01/2022 at 10:16, PaulWarning said:

Apparently? To reference something you posted earlier in this thread - "if the same thing had been said about, say, West Indians all hell would break loose" 

Do you think a negative generalisation is ok to say when you're not saying it about black people?

10 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Apparently? To reference something you posted earlier in this thread - "if the same thing had been said about, say, West Indians all hell would break loose" 

Do you think a negative generalisation is ok to say when you're not saying it about black people?

not at all, I added the word apparently to emphasise the opposite (very badly apparently) many people get in a lather about jokes about people of colour but jokes about white races seem to be ok in some people's minds, personally I think maybe the whole things it's gone too far, it is possible to poke fun at a certain group of people without upsetting them (or at least they can see the funny side), it seems that some get offended for others when the others aren't offended, if that makes sense. 

In my original 'west Indians' post I was playing Devils Advocate to a certain degree

The American legal system is based on four basic principles, one of which is known as "due process". That means an individual has the right  to a fair hearing within the judicial system. That is what has happened in this instance.  I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement on which grievances are worthy of that process and which should be excluded. It's quite concievable that this chap  could have suffered  as a result of having to go through life as the baby who had his meat and two veg on the front of Nevermind. He deserves to be able to make his case, it would be unjust to deny him the right. 

Americans are no more stupid  than any other nation ( or to put it another way, they are just as clever as anybody else). The thing to bear in mind when considering the supposed eccentricity of the USA is that America isn't Britain with a funny accent. It's a distinctly different society where people are citizens, not subjects. The are huge historical and cultural differences between our two nations despite having a common language. They have different values, different priorities and a distinctly different view of the world. It is folly to judge America by the yardstick of how much their conduct and beliefs  mirror ours in the UK.

Generally speaking, standards of education are substantially better in the USA than British ones at the equivalent level. It's only at University level that British institutions can start to claim parity. Americans are not only not thick, by and large they have a far better grasp of the English language than British people. It's not so much ironic as it is tragic,  and a testament  to the degradation of the British education system and our nation as a whole. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, as the saying goes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earbrass said:

On the contrary, many of the more extreme "woke" are themselves bigots, displaying very high levels of intolerance for those whose views differ from their own.

So, as somebody who doesn't think slavery should be celebrated, am I woke? And if so, am I then a bigot? And if I'm woke by not being racist, does that make the anti-wokes racists? I find it all very confusing.

25 minutes ago, Misdee said:

The American legal system is based on four basic principles, one of which is known as "due process". That means an individual has the right  to a fair hearing within the judicial system. That is what has happened in this instance.  I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement on which grievances are worthy of that process and which should be excluded. It's quite concievable that this chap  could have suffered  as a result of having to go through life as the baby who had his meat and two veg on the front of Nevermind. He deserves to be able to make his case, it would be unjust to deny him the right.

The case would seem to fall at the first hurdle though, as throughout his life he has been celebrating and benefitting from being the world's most famous naked baby. It's one thing being a victim of sexual abuse and concealing it for years, it's another suddenly deciding that the photograph was effectively sexual abuse after flaunting it for decades.