Why become a member? ×

Maybe Everyone In The USA Isn't Dim After All...

Jason Karloff

5 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Can I identify my race, ethnicity, and national origin as American? I can show you my birth certificate.... :)

I also want to identify today as a beagle...

(seriously folks, lighten up)

I'm offended at you not being offended when others are offended!

:ph34r:

Today I'd like to identify as an orange lesbian, but I don't know that the wife will let me.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, peteb said:

Can't you see how nonsensical that statement is? 

It's the law. I didn't write it. Maybe complain to the government?

Discriminating someone over their nationality is covered under race laws, in the eyes of the law, its racist. As I've posted several times. Nationality, ethnicity, race, fall under the umbrella of racism. 

Deal with it. You're not going to change it. I'm sorry if it doesn't align with everyone's strict dictionary definition of racism but I suspect if you stand up in a tribunal and try to argue that its not your definition of racism, you'll not get very far. 

It's an odd one, this. Purely with reference to the title of this thread, I often hear our American cousins take the mick* out of the British for having shonky teeth. Should we be outraged at that, and create tension and angst that wasn't there before, or just smile knowingly and move on, or get right back at them with a light-hearted reference to their mad** gun laws?

My point is, it's nuanced, and I'm worried that we're judging all instances with the same criteria.

*Apologies to all Micks who may be offended by this lazy reference.***

**Apologies to all genuinely mad people who may be offended by this lazy reference.

***Just remembered - I'm a mick. I'm outraged at myself.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Should we be outraged at that

Context is everything. 

In the context of this thread someone suggested that the title could be considered racist and we should think about how we word things. No one was outraged, offended, or triggered. It was just a statement. 

1 minute ago, TimR said:

Context is everything. 

In the context of this thread someone suggested that the title could be considered racist and we should think about how we word things. No one was outraged, offended, or triggered. It was just a statement. 

Someone thought the title could be viewed as racist. Hence my post.

8 minutes ago, TimR said:

Context is everything. 

Context is, in fact, not everything. Language is designed in such a way that words do have exact meanings, which are consistent. You can quote context to say that yellow is green, but would, in fact, be inaccurate. Woke culture suggests that words, facts, etc are subject to contextually based definitions. Many of us would disagree. 

Also, consider taking all of this conversation a bit less seriously.......

please.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Also, consider taking all of this conversation a bit less seriously.......

I think the lack of face to communication means people read too much into what is written here.

As is evidenced by people writing about outrage and offense. No one has actually said they're offended or outraged but a few seem to think someone somewhere has been offended or outraged, some have even concluded that others are offended on someone else's behalf. Assuming they're being serious of course. 

*Grabs the popcorn and settles down to observe people now arguing over what people did or did not say.....* 🍿

Nearly 7 pages of pointlessness.... and counting....  :facepalm:

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1