Why become a member? ×

Maybe Everyone In The USA Isn't Dim After All...

Jason Karloff

Maybe put the discussion in context then. 

Someone pointed out that the thread title was racist.

Other people still can't see why. 

It's an opportunity to educate them on what is considered racist and how its not limited to race. 

Some people still can't understand, despite it being explained several times very clearly with examples. 

If you want to discuss the rainforest  then you can start a thread about the rainforest. It's not a one topic forum. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cetera said:

Imagine what could they could achieve if they directed their outrage constructively, where it mattered....?! 

I'm going to guess absolutely f*** all, as in the present case, apart perhaps from the warm glow of superiority they get from having seized an imaginary piece of moral high ground.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Earbrass is right. Everyones prime goal in life is to be a victim. 

A multi millionaire tennis player tries to illegally enter a country, faces a few days trapped in a hotel room and he is the victim. Where's my sympathy? 

Katie Price gets tanked up on booze and drugs, flips her car and her defence is "I did it because I had some distressing news" ergo I am the victim. Where's my sympathy? 

• Like 4

Who is offended? Who is being morally superior? Who is playing the victim? 

Can't see any of that on this thread. 

I can see a few apparently defensive posts that may be trying to justify something that's been hastily written and poking fun at the Americans. Certainly a few posters who seem unaware of the legislation around race discrimination. Even someone who claimed they're not going to believe a few words written on some website and they'll stick to the dictionary. 

For anyone who still thinks being xenophobic isn't being racist, here's the legislation (from some random website):

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/71/enacted

I really don't have any truck with any of this, other than when someone asks why it's racist and then when told, argues it isn't. That seems odd behaviour to me. 

Anyway. I think we have all learned something about the American legal system, which I guess was the original intention, before the thread was derailed. It similar to the UK system in that cases and outcomes that seem odd or frivolous, are often quite straightforward when the details are examined properly. 

4 minutes ago, TimR said:

For anyone who still thinks being xenophobic isn't being racist, here's the legislation (from some random website):

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/71/enacted

While I am in agreement that racism and xenophobia* tend to overlap I note that the word 'xenophobia' is used precisely zero times in the 1968 legislation. 

* As the word is defined nowadays rather than in its original sense

23 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

While I am in agreement that racism and xenophobia* tend to overlap I note that the word 'xenophobia' is used precisely zero times in the 1968 legislation. 

* As the word is defined nowadays rather than in its original sense

"(1)For the purposes of this Act a person discriminates against another if on the ground of colour, race or ethnic or national origins..."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

How does that even make sense, why would it?

As stated above racism and xenophobic doesn't mean the same thing at all, and I don't see how you came to the conclusion that they do, that is unless you don't know what xenophobic actually means.

To (approximately) quote Michael Flanders: "The word xenophobia comes from the Greek words phobos, fear or hatred, and xenos, foreigner, stranger, or guest. Hence xenophobia, a fear or hatred of guests".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

Yer something to be truly alarmed about. A beacon of democracy was a sliver away from becoming a dictatorship. 

It's certainly not safe now. Over half of Republican voters still believe that Trump won, and Republican states are busy messing with their electoral rules and officials to make sure the Democrats are locked out of them. Rather the same thing is happening in the UK. Kazakhstan is becoming a role model.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tauzero said:

To (approximately) quote Michael Flanders: "The word xenophobia comes from the Greek words phobos, fear or hatred, and xenos, foreigner, stranger, or guest. Hence xenophobia, a fear or hatred of guests".

So… when you have a fear of the in-laws coming over at Christmas… it’s actually xenophobia… I knew it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TimR said:

"(1)For the purposes of this Act a person discriminates against another if on the ground of colour, race or ethnic or national origins..."

"(1)For the purposes of this Act a person discriminates against another if on the ground of colour, race or ethnic or national origins..." isn't exactly the same thing as xenophobia.

Xenophobia might motivate someone to discriminate against someone else but it's the discrimination which The Act addresses. Indeed, being of a certain age, I can remember back when 'racial discrimination' was the thing that everyone was (rightly) exercised about rather than the animus which motivates the discrimination. 

I mean, you're not wrong but you're not exactly right, either. Happy New year, old chum! :)

• Like 1

Question: My Mrs was recently a bit cheeky to me. Now, as I'm Welsh, technically, I need to know if that was actually a hate crime? Because if yes, I probably need to call the police or something.

3 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

Racey look like a 2nd rate Showaddywaddy

That's exactly what happened to be fair. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Question: My Mrs was recently a bit cheeky to me. Now, as I'm Welsh, technically, I need to know if that was actually a hate crime? Because if yes, I probably need to call the police or something.

That's exactly what happened to be fair. 👍

I’m not sure that being Welsh is a protected characteristic so Mrs R was probably okay.