Why become a member? ×

Maybe Everyone In The USA Isn't Dim After All...

Jason Karloff

10 minutes ago, TimR said:

Now look who is getting offended. 😆🤦‍♂️

Not offended. Just really bored with the whining that seems so prevalent in today's society.

To be honest I'm not surprised you quoted me, and I normally wouldn't respond. You really are the walking embodiment of the playing chess with a pigeon analogy. 

I've never met anyone quite so keen on the clickety clack of their own little keyboard. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I never said bodged and American still isn't a race.

2 hours ago, TimR said:

We can do if you like.

American is a nationality not a race. 

However, discriminating on someone's Nationality is covered under race discrimination laws. Where it is illegal to discriminate someone according to race OR nationality.

As it says in the link.

As I wrote in my previous comment to a reply stating something similar :

Neither are black people, Chinese or American Indians.

There is in fact only one human race.

Racism is a term that stems from back when people wrongfully thought that several different human races actually existed.

That doesn't however mean that racism doesn't exist.

Today the term racism is defined by prejudices and discrimination based on ethnicity/nationality.

And being American is an ethnicity/nationality.

Worrying that so many people here are being ignorant of that fact.

I guess that what can be concluded from this is that British people are dim (as if that had not already been proven by stuff I can not mention without going against the forum code of conduct).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

28 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Today the term racism is defined by prejudices and discrimination based on ethnicity/nationality.

If that's true then why has the word xenophobic not been taken out of the dictionary?

42 minutes ago, ubit said:

If that's true then why has the word xenophobic not been taken out of the dictionary?

How does that even make sense, why would it?

As stated above racism and xenophobic doesn't mean the same thing at all, and I don't see how you came to the conclusion that they do, that is unless you don't know what xenophobic actually means.

But even if they did there are numerous examples in the English language of several different words meaning more or less the same, with more delicate nuances in difference.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

xenophobic

/zɛnəˈfəʊbɪk/

adjective

having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

racism

/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/

noun

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

I completely fail to see how being American can be called a race. This argument has grown arms andlegs and I am being told I am wrong. The above quotes are from Google. Yes we are all the same as in the human race but everyone knows that the human race is made up of different races otherwise there would be no racism. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

I completely fail to see how being American can be called a race. This argument has grown arms andlegs and I am being told I am wrong. The above quotes are from Google. Yes we are all the same as in the human race but everyone knows that the human race is made up of different races otherwise there would be no racism. 

Because your nationality is part of you ethnicity.

White British is an ethnicity. White American is also an ethnicity. 

Legal and scientific definitions don't always follow dictionary definitions. 

17 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

Is the group beat-up-athon still going on? 

Just go and help the poor lady across the road with her shopping or explain Venn Diagrams to the kids. 

It's a discussion isn't it? That's what forums are for...

1 minute ago, Jason Karloff said:

Discussions and healthy debate are fine and dandy, but some people seem to revel in laying into others. 

Also some people seem hung up on the literary definitions of words like rascism and xenophobia. Maybe while they have their dictionaries out they should look up sarcasm? 

I wasn't hung up.  Your original post was labelled as being racist. I merely pointed out that it wasn't as being American isn't a race. Then I was hit with a tirade of completely baffling content about American being a race.

2 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

I know it's just nuts. I can look at at least 3 main news stories on the BBC right now which people should feel genuine rage over. 

Imagine what could they could achieve if they directed their outrage constructively, where it mattered....?! 

• Like 2

I mean I get it. Some people only feel able to tackle the small injustices they come across. Like this debate. They don't have the levels of rage to tackle the bigger issues. 

Their are some people who will write to the BBC and say

*I am so angry because the bloke who read the news, his poppy wasn't on straight"

• Like 2